Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: It's A Done Deal!  (Read 3215 times)

TravisP

It's A Done Deal!
« on: August 18, 2005, 02:55:28 PM »
After weeks of speculation in the UK, Channel 4 has shocked the nation and announced that they have bought up the UK rights for Deal Or No Deal.

Early indications show that it will feature.

-A weekdaily one hour slot for late afternoons, which could be between 3-6pm meaning it go against Weakest Link,
-It will be filmed at Endemol's Bristol studios which is also the home
of Channel 5 show BrainTeaser,
-It will still consist of 26 cases where the prizes will range from 1p
to £100,000 (the biggest prize on daytime television),
-No host has been anounced,
-It could be screened before the end of this year,

However they haven't said it will replace Countdown though.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
It's A Done Deal!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 02:57:22 PM »
[quote name=\'TravisP\' date=\'Aug 18 2005, 11:55 AM\']However they haven't said it will replace Countdown though.
[/quote]
Wow. Wouldn't THAT be a swing, going from the most cerebral game show on television anywhere to quite possibly the LEAST. All DoND contestants need to do to complete the effect is start dressing up like radishes.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

FOXSportsFan

It's A Done Deal!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 03:37:05 PM »
Speaking of Countdown, anyone know off hand if they are in reruns or first run with guest hosts?

Matt Ottinger

It's A Done Deal!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 04:19:59 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 18 2005, 02:57 PM\'][quote name=\'TravisP\' date=\'Aug 18 2005, 11:55 AM\']However they haven't said it will replace Countdown though.
[/quote]
Wow. Wouldn't THAT be a swing, going from the most cerebral game show on television anywhere to quite possibly the LEAST. [/quote]
I finally got to see an Aussie episode yesterday, and yeah, I'm having a hard time seeing what all the fuss is about.  It's just a wildly redundant, glorified guessing game.  I can't imagine what you do to stretch it into an hour, unless they're just planning to play two games a show.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

It's A Done Deal!
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 04:24:36 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 18 2005, 01:57 PM\'][quote name=\'TravisP\' date=\'Aug 18 2005, 11:55 AM\']However they haven't said it will replace Countdown though.
[/quote]
Wow. Wouldn't THAT be a swing, going from the most cerebral game show on television anywhere to quite possibly the LEAST. All DoND contestants need to do to complete the effect is start dressing up like radishes.
[snapback]94518[/snapback]
[/quote]

I would imagine that there would be some grumblings in the "chattering classes" about C4 not living up to their "alternative" remit, as well--something that happens any time they come across a mainstream hit, like "Big Brother" or the pioneering morning show "The Big Breakfast," the direct inspiration for fX's "Breakfast Time" and inspiration for bits on seemingly every morning show in the U.S. these days.

It all depends on where they schedule it.

remlap

It's A Done Deal!
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 06:42:28 PM »
[quote name=\'TravisP\' date=\'Aug 18 2005, 07:55 PM\']After weeks of speculation in the UK, Channel 4 has shocked the nation and announced that they have bought up the UK rights for Deal Or No Deal.
[snapback]94516[/snapback]
[/quote]

I havent seen or heard any shock, or know any one who really cares, I know this opening sentance was done as a joke well I hope so.

Theres been an upstart in daytime game-shows recently, ITV trying their hardest to get one that will stick, Channel 5 Brainteaser getting its own channel after the show airs daily.

It wont replace Countdown I know that, ive never really watched channel 4 since here in Wales, the Welsh forth network focuses on Welsh language shows and the shows from CH4 air get retransmitted at sometimes stupid hours of the night, im glad ive got satellite where both can air.

Is there any more news on the US NBC version of the show, ive never honestly watched a version even though I had the chance to watch Australian tv I spent more time watching The Price Is Right and never bothered to switch over.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 06:43:19 PM by remlap »

dougal18

It's A Done Deal!
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2005, 04:34:44 AM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Aug 18 2005, 02:37 PM\']Speaking of Countdown, anyone know off hand if they are in reruns or first run with guest hosts?
[snapback]94529[/snapback]
[/quote]

Richard Whiteley fell ill back in May and C4 had about 2 months worth of prerecorded shows still to air.  The plan was to have guest hosts but IIRC Whiteley died the day before filming was due to start.  The filming was scrapped as a mark of respect.  The Monday 27th June episode (QF Number 3) was postponed as well until the next day.

The final of the series (Also RW's last episode filmed) aired on the 1st of July along with a couple of tribute programmes.   Countdown has been off air since but will return in Sep/Oct with a new host.