Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN.com games  (Read 10325 times)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
GSN.com games
« on: August 11, 2005, 12:31:19 AM »
I think this would be more appropriate here than our main board - what do you guys think of their various online game offerings? I'll share some specifics after you do, but my basic opinion: they'd be great if the general population there weren't so bad at them, and didn't quit so often. (See: general complaints about any online gaming forum)

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
GSN.com games
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 12:38:12 AM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Aug 10 2005, 09:31 PM\']I think this would be more appropriate here than our main board - what do you guys think of their various online game offerings? I'll share some specifics after you do, but my basic opinion: they'd be great if the general population there weren't so bad at them, and didn't quit so often. (See: general complaints about any online gaming forum)
[/quote]
Yeah, as a rule I don't care to play games online with people I don't know for exactly that reason: usually there isn't any kind of penalty against them if they have no sack and quit early in the name of their precious W/L record.

(I knew a guy who used to do the same thing, but with Freecell. For God's sake, WHY? Who are you cheating?)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
GSN.com games
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 05:24:50 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 10 2005, 11:38 PM\'](I knew a guy who used to do the same thing, but with Freecell. For God's sake, WHY? Who are you cheating?)
[/quote]
Well, we all know that little Amy can't have a loss on her Freecell record.  Then she can't print off her 100% win record, and give it to mommy to hang on the refrigerator.

As far as GSN's offerings go....mixed opinions on them. "Lingo Plus" is interesting....but some of the others (Flip to GSN) seem mindless.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

GSN.com games
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 05:27:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Aug 11 2005, 02:24 PM\']Well, we all know that little Amy can't have a loss on her Freecell record.  Then she can't print off her 100% win record, and give it to mommy to hang on the refrigerator.
[/quote]
Ya know, if it were Little Amy, that's beautiful, if the kiddo wants to play around, great. This was a dude in his 20's.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
GSN.com games
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 07:10:34 PM »
Well, I guess I'll start then. "Phrase Frenzy" is a good game. Nice variety of categories and phrases within. "Poker Face" is a lot of fun to play, but it has horrid scoring. "Whammy Plus" is decent, and looks great, but the engine is all wonky (just like all these games). "Lingo Plus" is much too long for my blood.

And of course, you can put this on the end of all these mini-reviews: "[Game] really sucks when the players don't stick around the entire time."

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

clemon79

GSN.com games
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 07:26:05 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Aug 11 2005, 04:10 PM\']Well, I guess I'll start then. "Phrase Frenzy" is a good game. Nice variety of categories and phrases within. "Poker Face" is a lot of fun to play,

And of course, you can put this on the end of all these mini-reviews: "[Game] really sucks when the players don't stick around the entire time."
[/quote]
Nail on the head. I love Phrase Frenzy when you have three honorable people playing. Of course, based on the population of the GSN message boards, the chances of that are awfully slim. And Poker Face would be fantastic if they actually put some thought into the scoring system.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
GSN.com games
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 11:34:14 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 11 2005, 07:26 PM\']I love Phrase Frenzy when you have three honorable people playing. Of course, based on the population of the GSN message boards, the chances of that are awfully slim.
[snapback]93935[/snapback]
[/quote]

Amen, brother Chris. I've played Phrase Frenzy a lot over the years, and I consider myself to be pretty damn good at it, as well. The deal is 99 times out of 100 I'll get out to such a big lead, that both players will leave and I'll be stuck playing the computer. But that's a sitewide problem, too, no matter what you play.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

beatlefreak84

GSN.com games
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 12:00:09 AM »
But that's a sitewide problem, too, no matter what you play.

I played GSN games a lot in June, and, yeah, a lot of people would quit, especially with "Lingo" and "Phrase Frenzy."  I've found that less so with "Whammy" since that's mainly based on luck...even one who gets all the questions right first can still blow the game.  That's why I started playing that more often...most people, unless they absolutely have to leave, will stick with it.  At least, that's what I've found.

However, I will say this:  When you do actually find someone to play "Lingo" or "Phrase Frenzy" at your skill level for the entire game, it's a ton of fun.  This may be few and far-between depending on your skill level, but there's nothing like back-and-forth point swapping, especially if the final word determines the game.

My suggestion to anybody considering playing the GSN games:  When you log in and enter the lobby for the game of your choice, find a room with a high number that you figure normal visitors won't take the time to scroll down to (like 300), request to play a game with those in the lobby but state ahead of time, "No Quitters."  Wait until you get a response, and then go ahead and play.  This will not completely eliminate the problem, but, when I started doing it, it increased my chances of getting honorable players quite a bit.

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™