Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Contestant/Audience eligibility  (Read 3982 times)

cmjb13

Contestant/Audience eligibility
« on: August 13, 2003, 05:53:39 PM »
Was there a rule that audience members had to be 18 years of older on most shows besides TPIR?

If so, why were contestants allowed to be under 18 (CS, FF), but couldn't be in the audience?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

uncamark

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2003, 06:10:46 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Aug 13 2003, 04:53 PM\']Was there a rule that audience members had to be 18 years of older on most shows besides TPIR?

If so, why were contestants allowed to be under 18 (CS, FF), but couldn't be in the audience?[/quote]
The ticket collectors can help me out on this one, but I believe that most game shows did and do let in people younger than 18 (in most cases, 12 and over).  The reason \"TPIR\" has an 18-year-old limit, I suppose, is to avoid having to separate under-18s into a separate line when it's time for Phil or Rog to do the contestant chats.

Also, I believe that \"Squares\" and \"MG\" had an audience limit of over-18 because of the possibility of unbleeped comments from the panel (which is why Johnny Carson never let kids into \"The Tonight Show\").

zachhoran

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2003, 07:47:06 PM »
They originally allowed kids into the TPIR audience(12 and over was the requirement when I at 11 years old in 1981 wrote to them, and it changed to 18 and over by the late 80s). I can't speak for Marshall HS, but I think I've seen kids in the MG7x audience, but not 100% sure on that one.

uncamark

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2003, 06:38:45 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Aug 13 2003, 06:47 PM\']They originally allowed kids into the TPIR audience(12 and over was the requirement when I at 11 years old in 1981 wrote to them, and it changed to 18 and over by the late 80s). I can't speak for Marshall HS, but I think I've seen kids in the MG7x audience, but not 100% sure on that one.[/quote]
And now I remember on 70s syndie \"TPIR\" Dennis James talking to a Boy Scout during the credits on a double-Showcase overbid show and getting him to do the Boy Scout salute.  Back in those days, Marc Breslow stuck with the host during the overbid show credits--we didn't get any shots of the Beauties waving at the camera then.

In case you've forgotten, when both players overbid, instead of taking the players to the prizes they didn't win, Barker always goes out and shakes hands in the audience after the \"So long, everybody!\" while the Beauties stand in front of the prizes, smile and wave.

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2003, 06:56:08 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Aug 14 2003, 05:38 PM\']Back in those days, Marc Breslow stuck with the host during the overbid show credits--we didn't get any shots of the Beauties waving at the camera then.
[/quote]
And I can see why...when GSN still did WinTV, they showed an ep. with a Double overbid from 1980. By this time, they were alternating between shots of the audience and the models, waving. The only thing was, the models looked pretty silly doing nothing but waving, and you could tell they wished the cameras would focus on something else.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

ChuckNet

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2003, 05:32:16 PM »
They originally allowed kids into the TPIR audience(12 and over was the requirement when I at 11 years old in 1981 wrote to them, and it changed to 18 and over by the late 80s). I can't speak for Marshall HS, but I think I've seen kids in the MG7x audience, but not 100% sure on that one.

They did...I recall a syndie ep from 1981 where Brett and McLean gave some kid in the audience a MG sweatshirt.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

ChuckNet

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2003, 05:34:12 PM »
Back in those days, Marc Breslow stuck with the host during the overbid show credits--we didn't get any shots of the Beauties waving at the camera then.

That started around 1975, IIRC.

And the hosts didn't even go anywhere originally...I've got a VERY early ep from 1972 (which may have been the 1st time a DO occured), and Bob just stayed w/the 2 contestants on the turntable as the credits rolled.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")