Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PW+ question  (Read 9714 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
PW+ question
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2005, 05:41:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Aug 17 2005, 02:34 PM\']IMO, the judge should realize at that point that it's a lousy category, and give the contestant credit.
[/quote]
Well, except that's not really his job. His job, in that situation, is to determine whether an answer is acceptable, no more, no less. If the writers wrote it that way, and it made it through the review process, I would have to guess that the judge was specifically told that "rooms" was a keyword, just as "White House" was.

Not defending the utter absurdity of the category, or the overly-lenient judging of given clues, but a judge who makes editorial decisions like that in the throes of battle isn't a judge for very long, I would guess.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Robert Hutchinson

PW+ question
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2005, 11:55:46 PM »
I was operating under the assumption that Pyramid categories never came anywhere near a review process.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

$100kPyramidfan

PW+ question
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2005, 12:07:45 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Aug 18 2005, 11:55 PM\']I was operating under the assumption that Pyramid categories never came anywhere near a review process.
[snapback]94595[/snapback]
[/quote]

Oh! When I first posted on the thread here about Osmond's Pyramid, the inane categories at the WC completely whooshed over my head. That was a third thing that I couldn't stand about it that I had never even thought of at the time!

The worst one I can think on top of my head at the moment is "What Fidel Castro's cigar would say." What were they thinking?!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 12:14:05 AM by $100kPyramidfan »
"Does anybody in the audience want an empty armadillo?" - Garry Moore

Kevin Prather

PW+ question
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2005, 02:14:08 AM »
[quote name=\'$100kPyramidfan\' date=\'Aug 18 2005, 09:07 PM\']"What Fidel Castro's cigar would say."
[snapback]94598[/snapback]
[/quote]

"I'm in the mouth of a famous Cuban."

"What Lucille Ball's left tit might say."

Matt Ottinger

PW+ question
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2005, 11:10:20 AM »
Without getting into any real-name specifics (though many of you know the real people involved), the judge and the writers on Osmond Pyramid were at the mercy of a producer whose apparent sole goal was to make his Pyramid different than any previous incarnations.  I can tell you with certainty that the Pyramid judge (who was also a writer) is and was every bit as aware of the Clark version as you goombas, and he agonized over some of the judging calls he was required to make.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

PW+ question
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2005, 06:13:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Aug 19 2005, 08:10 AM\']I can tell you with certainty that the Pyramid judge (who was also a writer) is and was every bit as aware of the Clark version as you goombas
[/quote]
Are you really gonna make me change my title to "Evil Goomba"? :)

Robert Hutchinson

PW+ question
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2005, 02:06:27 AM »
I retract any aspersions I may have cast in the direction of the Pyramid judge.

Fie on you, Pyramid. Fie on your camera angles, fie on your celeb "training", fie on your Ben-Stein-Lite maingame.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Jimmy Owen

PW+ question
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2005, 09:54:36 AM »
Producer might not be a bad job to have; you get paid a lot of money; you've got a lot of power to shape a show and when it goes south, it's usually the on-camera people that get the blame. You can leave it off the resume because the credits at the end of the show are unreadable or go by too fast.

Even game show freaks refer to it as "Osmond Pyramid" rather than "(producer's name) Pyramid"
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

PW+ question
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2005, 01:21:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Aug 21 2005, 06:54 AM\']Even game show freaks refer to it as "Osmond Pyramid" rather than "(producer's name) Pyramid"
[/quote]
Believe me, I wouldn't mind knowing his name so I could refer to it as "(producer's name) Pyramid". Just so I'm reminded of who he is so I can avoid his crap in the future.

jalman

PW+ question
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2005, 04:19:58 PM »
I'll help narrow the search down, but in the meantime, I'll just conveniently blame all of 'em.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 04:20:39 PM by jalman »

SplitSecond

PW+ question
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2005, 04:41:11 PM »
Let's just say his last name is the color of poo.

clemon79

PW+ question
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2005, 04:55:19 PM »
[quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Aug 21 2005, 01:41 PM\']Let's just say his last name is the color of poo.
[/quote]
But I don't see a Green...um. Erm.

(Clearly I need to ease up on the spinach.) :)

Neumms

PW+ question
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2005, 11:05:47 PM »
Interesting, the producer whose last name is, uh, the color of some poo, worked on the 1997 Newlywed Game, which also screwed with everything for no good reason.

BrandonFG

PW+ question
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2005, 12:12:07 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Aug 21 2005, 10:05 PM\']Interesting, the producer whose last name is, uh, the color of some poo, worked on the 1997 Newlywed Game, which also screwed with everything for no good reason.
[snapback]94724[/snapback]
[/quote]

Zach time, but the screw-with-it-just-to-screw-with-it version was actually the season before (three couples instead of four, pre-recorded answers instead of the cards, "THAT'S MY WIFE!"), which, I *think* was produced by Michael Canter (he also did the first couple seasons of Feud99). They tried to get back to the "classic" version in 1997. Not surprisingly, IMDB doesn't even mention the 1996 season.

Ewww, I just HAD a shower. :-P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TimK2003

PW+ question
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2005, 11:24:18 AM »
Back to the Password Legal Clue Thread...

When did "singing" a clue word become the norm on the show and who first did it?  I see/hear it a lot on SP but was it permissible on P+?  

And what are your opinions on Singing Clues, in which you sing one clue word over several words of a song?