Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ross Shafer  (Read 4171 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Ross Shafer
« on: August 22, 2005, 08:05:13 PM »
If you go down to the Hollywood Squares rendition at this link, you can watch Ross at work.

http://www.gameshowinternational.net/corpo...0renditions.htm
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Ross Shafer
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 08:06:15 PM »
I'm surprised they haven't been sued for copyright infringment.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Ross Shafer
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 08:16:50 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' date=\'Aug 22 2005, 05:05 PM\']If you go down to the Hollywood Squares rendition at this link, you can watch Ross at work.
[/quote]
"We surveyed 100 people and asked them to name one of their favorite game show hosts.  Survey says...Scott Parr!"

...and those 100 people said... "WHO?!?!?!"
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jeremy Nelson

Ross Shafer
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 08:18:56 PM »
Here's the irony to that. Below is a quote taken directly from the site:

In 2000, Game Show America added an “Imagination Department.”  After months of hard work, the Imagination Team had created true-to-life renditions of America’s favorite TV Game Shows.

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't an "imagination department" create NEW games?

On a side note- After using the Family Feud presentation software, I couldn't stand watching that Feud video. It didn't help that the host sucked too.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 08:21:11 PM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

FOXSportsFan

Ross Shafer
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 08:30:56 PM »
Nice to see Ross still employed and he didn't look too bad doing Squares.  Well, I don't see how they can be sued really...the best explanation I can think of is that they could claim it as a parody of the game show.

clemon79

Ross Shafer
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 08:39:42 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Aug 22 2005, 05:30 PM\']Well, I don't see how they can be sued really...
[/quote]
You don't? Wow.
the best explanation I can think of is that they could claim it as a parody of the game show.
Let's take a look at a source with which you would do well to become more familiar, dictionary.com:

par·o·dy (n) - A literary or artistic work that imitates the characteristic style of an author or a work for comic effect or ridicule.

I don't see a lot of comic effect or ridicule here. I see trying to knock off someone else's concept to make a profit.

If the rightsholders wanted to make an issue out of it, they would absolutely have a case. My guess is that either the company has licensed the formats for this purpose (doubtful, considering how they try to skirt the issue with these "whimsical" names), or they're such small-potatoes operations that the rightsholders just don't care.

FOXSportsFan

Ross Shafer
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 08:52:00 PM »
Rather than start ranting and explaining a devil's advocate case, I'll just say: Point taken.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 08:52:39 PM by FOXSportsFan »

clemon79

Ross Shafer
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 09:02:33 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Aug 22 2005, 05:52 PM\']Rather than start ranting and explaining a devil's advocate case, I'll just say: Point taken.
[/quote]
Good. You DID learn something.

I'll even throw in an analogy. Let's say I'm in the video game business, and I make a game called Peter Falk's Pro Skater, which is in all other respects identical to the original, save for the skating Columbo. Activision sues, and I claim parody. Do you really think I have a snowball's chance in court?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 09:11:06 PM by clemon79 »

daveromanjr

Ross Shafer
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005, 09:04:05 PM »
Wow, the Family Feud theme just sounds sooooooooooooooooo good with Hollywood Squa.... wait I can't even finish that statement.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Ross Shafer
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2005, 09:58:30 PM »
I enjoyed Ross' hosting job, and if you liked him there, you'll love his public speaking which you can view on video too at his website.

But did anybody see the Feud video? When some of the audience started shouting out answers, the dunderhead host encouraged the rest to join them! It was like TPIR!

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Ross Shafer
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2005, 10:27:39 PM »
par·o·dy (n) - A literary or artistic work that imitates the characteristic style of an author or a work for comic effect or ridicule.
So Card Sharks 2001 was really a parody of the real Card Sharks. I get it now! Same with Match Game '98. And Richard Karn is really a parody of a game show emcee. Lemon, you've opened my eyes. I done seen the light! Hallelujah!

FOXSportsFan

Ross Shafer
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2005, 10:40:43 PM »
Now, that you've seen the light, here's Benny Hinn to make you fall over...

(Benny Hinn smacks Chris on top of the head and such).

Hinn: He has been blessed, and so can you for only $99.99...

sshuffield70

Ross Shafer
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2005, 10:48:22 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Aug 22 2005, 09:40 PM\']Now, that you've seen the light, here's Benny Hinn to make you fall over...

[snapback]94845[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thank God my pastor doesn't do that.  And, yes, he's on TV.

johnnya2k3

Ross Shafer
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2005, 12:31:55 AM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Aug 22 2005, 06:48 PM\'][quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Aug 22 2005, 09:40 PM\']Now, that you've seen the light, here's Benny Hinn to make you fall over...

[snapback]94845[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thank God my pastor doesn't do that.  And, yes, he's on TV.
[snapback]94847[/snapback]
[/quote]
Well, as long as doesn't say "He has been blessed...and so can you if you call me now and ask for my 'miracle spring water' which is actually nothing but tap water!"

Jonathan Allen

Matt Ottinger

Ross Shafer
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2005, 03:42:12 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Aug 22 2005, 08:06 PM\']I'm surprised they haven't been sued for copyright infringment.[/quote]
My guess would be that they've consulted with lawyers and figured out exactly what they can get away with.  If Sony or Fremantle had the power to stop them, they'd be stopped by now.  That thing is way too commercial an enterprise to have escaped attention from the copyright holders.

I find it interesting, though, that they prominently feature their OWN copyright notices throughout the site.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.