Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Well, that was different. Lousy, but different  (Read 6290 times)

JayDLewis

Well, that was different. Lousy, but different
« on: August 03, 2005, 08:45:38 PM »
Next Tuesday (August 9th) The Muppet Show (Season 1) comes out on DVD...and it's about time! It includes outtakes and the pilot.

However, the link to this group is that Bruce Forsyth (the UKs Bill Cullen, hosted Hot Streak in the US briefly) is the guest star in one of the episodes.

I'm sure someone will go over the guest list of all 24 episodes and find other tenuous links between shows and stars (Candice Bergen dated the friend of the brother of the grip of the original Match Game for a week in 1970!!!eleven!).

MSRP is...$39.99 <ding>
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 08:53:39 PM »
Actually, it's easier than that.  Candy's father hosted a game show and she was a contestant on one as well.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 09:02:35 PM »
[quote name=\'JayDLewis\' date=\'Aug 3 2005, 08:45 PM\']Next Tuesday (August 9th) The Muppet Show (Season 1) comes out on DVD...and it's about time! It includes outtakes and the pilot.[/quote]
Cannot wait!  Unless I'm mistaken, the pilot, "Sex and Violence" has not been seen since it originally aired on network television back in the mid seventies.  There's actually a second pilot, and it better be tucked into Season Two.

[quote name=\'JayDLewis\' date=\'Aug 3 2005, 08:45 PM\']I'm sure someone will go over the guest list of all 24 episodes and find other tenuous links between shows and stars (Candice Bergen dated the friend of the brother of the grip of the original Match Game for a week in 1970!!!eleven!).[/quote]
Jay jokes because he loves.  In reality, MOST of the guest stars in that first season have some sort of game show connection.  Even Charles Aznavour was a mystery guest on What's My Line?, and some of the guests (Florence Henderson, Rita Moreno, Phyllis Diller, Sandy Duncan, Vincent Price) have tons of game show experience.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 01:43:40 AM »
I'm looking forward to The Muppet Show as well.  Of course, I've also been looking forward to the third and final season of The Greatest American Hero, even though it was the season two premiere of said show which had a game show personality on it.  Can you name her?

(Hmm, I don't recall William Katt ever doing a game show, but Robert Culp starred in I Spy with Bill Cosby, who later hosted You Bet Your Life...nah, I digress.)

Speaking of our favorite Jell-O pudding spokesman, The Cosby Show just made its DVD debut yesterday.  So technically, it's on-topic, moreso than GAH.

BTW, we shouldn't forget that Kermit the Frog has about as much game show experience as anyone listed above.  In fact, Jim Henson was a guest on WML during the syndicated years and sang "Bein' Green" as Kermit.

So which of these two DVDs do I get?  Well, since next weekend is triple-point Replay Days at Sam Goody, it looks like the answer is both.

EDIT: GAH creator Stephen J. Cannell co-produced Caesar's Challenge.  So there you go.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 01:45:17 AM by GS Warehouse »

HairMetalLives

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 01:50:20 AM »
I pre-ordered mine on Amazon.com for $12 off the retail price back in early June; one of my all time favorite shows!!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 02:24:33 AM »
Did Guy Smiley ever appear on TMS?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

DrBear

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 07:42:55 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Aug 4 2005, 12:24 AM\']Did Guy Smiley ever appear on TMS?
[snapback]93242[/snapback]
[/quote]
No, but I think they did an E!THS about him...
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 01:25:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Aug 4 2005, 02:24 AM\']Did Guy Smiley ever appear on TMS?[/quote]
Serious answer to joke question (i.e., please don't "Whoosh" me.)

Henson and company were preposterously careful about keeping the world of TMS totally separate from Sesame Street, with the exception of Kermit, Henson's alter ego.  I don't recall the two worlds connecting at all on the series, though I'm told that Ernie and Bert made cameos in the first season, and other characters showed up very rarely as well.  

Various Sesame Street characters made cameos in all the Muppet films.

I'm looking forward to The Muppet Show as well. Of course, I've also been looking forward to the third and final season of The Greatest American Hero, even though it was the season two premiere of said show which had a game show personality on it. Can you name her?
That would be Markie Post.  Early crushes tend to stay with you.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 01:57:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Aug 4 2005, 12:25 PM\']Henson and company were preposterously careful about keeping the world of TMS totally separate from Sesame Street, with the exception of Kermit, Henson's alter ego.  I don't recall the two worlds connecting at all on the series, though I'm told that Ernie and Bert made cameos in the first season, and other characters showed up very rarely as well. 
[snapback]93270[/snapback]
[/quote]
Consider that confirmed--Ernie and Bert indeed made cameos (billed as guest stars).

I could've sworn that at one time or another Sam the American Eagle initally appeared on SESAME STREET, was dropped and then resurrected for TMS.  Not totally sure on that one--anyone able to confirm or deny?

Doug -- and the countdown to 1400 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

HairMetalLives

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005, 05:47:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Aug 4 2005, 09:25 AM\']Henson and company were preposterously careful about keeping the world of TMS totally separate from Sesame Street... I don't recall the two worlds connecting at all on the series, though I'm told that Ernie and Bert made cameos in the first season, and other characters showed up very rarely as well. 
[snapback]93270[/snapback]
[/quote]
Bert & Ernie were in episode two, the Connie Stevens episode. Big Bird also appeared in season three's Leslie Ugams episode, and a large number of "Sesame Street" characters appeared in season five's Marty Fledman episode.

Jay Temple

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2005, 02:09:48 PM »
A closer connection to game shows:  I didn't see it, but didn't Kermit appear as a panelist on TTTT'00?
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2005, 03:26:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Aug 5 2005, 02:09 PM\']A closer connection to game shows:  I didn't see it, but didn't Kermit appear as a panelist on TTTT'00?[/quote]
Yup.  Kermit's actually been on a bunch of game shows.  Family Feud, What's My Line?, several incarnations of Squares.  He appeared in the audience during a Celebrity Millionaire series.  The story is that he really wanted to play, but the show was hampered by logistical concerns.

vtown7

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2005, 03:50:46 PM »
Didn't his puppeteer appear in the ToC in Tom's first season?

Thad Dixon

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2005, 03:58:05 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' date=\'Aug 5 2005, 03:50 PM\']Didn't his puppeteer appear in the ToC in Tom's first season?
[snapback]93416[/snapback]
[/quote]

IIRC, there was no ToC in Tom's first season on Squares;  the second season was the first one in which they had a ToC.  Do you suppose that might be when you saw him?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2005, 11:19:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Thad Dixon\' date=\'Aug 5 2005, 03:58 PM\']IIRC, there was no ToC in Tom's first season on Squares;  the second season was the first one in which they had a ToC.  Do you suppose that might be when you saw him?[/quote]
I'm not exactly sure of when it was myself (we have members who were there), but yes, Steve Whitmire was clearly visible amidst all the hoopla when Squares crowned their champion.