Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another ABC Password Question  (Read 3145 times)

Ian Wallis

Another ABC Password Question
« on: August 10, 2003, 02:56:01 PM »
Although I remember watching this version as a kid, there are certain details I just can't remember.  On the CBS version, each contestant played two games and changed partners between games.  On the ABC version they had a continuing champion - so did they play just one game, and the winner switched celebrities and faced a new contestant, or did they still play two games?  If so, how did they determine the winner?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

calliaume

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2003, 09:52:19 AM »
My memories of this are very hazy, but I believe it was one game and out.  (The format on the Odd Couple episode would support this theory.

uncamark

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2003, 05:35:04 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Aug 11 2003, 08:52 AM\']My memories of this are very hazy, but I believe it was one game and out.  (The format on the Odd Couple episode would support this theory.[/quote]
And in about 1973, as discussed not too long ago around here, they went to a two-out-of-three game format, with seemingly the Lightning Round and the Betting Word played only after the deciding game (although I would swear otherwise that there was a Lightning Round after every game and the Betting Word after the deciding game and the second Lightning Round).

AH3RD

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2003, 05:43:38 PM »
New rules on the ABC edition allowed a contestant to stay on the show as long as five days as long as he or she continued winning.
Aaron Handy III - ah07_1999@yahoo.com

The ABC Password Page

The Aaron Handy III TV Web Shrine

Ian Wallis

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2003, 12:06:53 PM »
New rules on the ABC edition allowed a contestant to stay on the show as long as five days as long as he or she continued winning.

I guess the money on the early days of the ABC version was still pretty small.  Was it still $250 for winning the game?  Did it ever increase during the run of the show (before the change in formats?)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

uncamark

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2003, 06:23:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Aug 14 2003, 11:06 AM\']I guess the money on the early days of the ABC version was still pretty small.  Was it still $250 for winning the game?  Did it ever increase during the run of the show (before the change in formats?)[/quote]
I don't think that there was money given for a win--it was all earned in the Lightning Round *and* the Betting Word--meaning you could win up to $500 in each game.  When they went to the two-out-of-three match format, the maximum per match was $1,000.

Dan Sadro

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2003, 09:50:37 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Aug 14 2003, 05:23 PM\'] I don't think that there was money given for a win--it was all earned in the Lightning Round *and* the Betting Word--meaning you could win up to $500 in each game.  When they went to the two-out-of-three match format, the maximum per match was $1,000. [/quote]
 The max was $2000 per match, though, as the Lightning Round values were $100 later on.