Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Worthless Celebrity Contestants  (Read 8727 times)

Queen of Nerdocrombesia

Worthless Celebrity Contestants
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2005, 12:33:45 AM »
I'll add Joyce Bulifant's appearances on MG to the list.  Now, I've seen dumb blonds, and known a few (and a number of smart blonds, mind you), but she takes the cake.  I never really enjoyed her appearances or antics on the show.

I'll also add my defense of Patti Deutsch.  I enjoyed when she was on, and liked her dead-eye stare into the camera during the intros.
"These days, if a show doesn't make it in a couple of weeks, it goes out in the alley.  Faith has become too expensive."

--Garry Moore, 1979

MrBuddwing

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2005, 02:53:02 AM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Jun 23 2005, 12:46 PM\']Peter Lawford- While Peter was an excellent Password player, when he was on The $20,000 Pyramid in 1979, he was way past his prime and noticably either drunk or stoned. During the game, he talked with a noticable slur, and he could barely stay in his chair. Ironically, his gameplaying ability wasn't too bad, but it still wasn't good enough to get to the winner's circle. I happened to get an email from a contestant that was on that same week, and she said he was so out of it, he actually made an entrance wearing shoes but no socks. Another bit of irony is that in Pyramid's earlier days, Peter was a much sharper player, as evidenced in the clip they sometimes showed of a contestant chasing Peter around the Winner's Circle. He also appeared much more sober in the Cullen Pyramid ep. in the trading circuit.
[/quote]

My recollection is, Peter Lawford was always a terrible "Pyramid" player, both in the regular rounds and in the winner's circle. I remember him chasing Dick Clark around the winner's circle - that was after the only time I saw him help the contestant win the Pyramid. If my addled recollection is to be trusted, for "Names of Movie Monsters," Lawford said "Munsters," which drew a loud groan from an audience member who thought it was going to be buzzed, but it wasn't. And for the top panel, "Things That Are Stiff," Lawford said, "Dead people..." and the young female contestant cried out, "Stiffs!" and she won. And that's what set Lawford to racing around the circle  in the same sweatshirt and sweatpants that he wore for all five of that week's tapings.

To top it all off, somebody in the audience handed Dick Clark one of those phony newspaper headlines you can get printed up in an arcade. The banner headline was: "Pyramid Staff Rejoices - Lawford Finally Wins!"

HairMetalLives

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2005, 03:10:39 AM »
I have an episode of "Password Plus" where Regis Philbin guested and wasn't a good player.

ChuckNet

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2005, 10:43:23 PM »
And add Valerie Bertinelli to the list for her less-than-stellar work on $20K Pyramid, as well.

ATGS's Tom Gauer can attest to that, as he had the misfortune of being paired w/her for his 2nd game (following a near-win in the 1st WC w/the other celeb, veteran player Robert Mandan), which naturally resulted in him being sent packing.

You can also add Robert Foxworth...he was on early in the $25K's run, and in the ep I have, he manages to get to both WCs on that eps by virtue of his civillian partners...how much did he win for those players? One picked up $100, and the other just barely edged his opponent out w/a whopping $150 to become the day's champ.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

davewalls

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2005, 10:59:54 PM »
I concur with a previous poster -- Watching Joyce Bulifant on MG just made my blood boil, because she would give ridiculous answers at times when contestants needed to make a match to win. Her ridiculous answers weren't even funny.

Good thing she only had a few lines in Airplane!..it would be a shame if she had ruined two of my favorites.
Dave Walls

http://www.davewalls.net

(insert witty comment about self here)

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2005, 11:54:02 PM »
How about Jackee? She screwed up the winners circle on that clip from one site. She never played again.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

William_S.

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2005, 01:44:29 AM »
I'll Say George Hamilton was also very bad at MG1998.
Almost every answer he gave was either off topic or completely wrong on some Questions. Also he'd take the longest when trying to write an answer. I know CNR would take long too, but it was to make at least a Funny answer or Answer plus...,George's just takes his dear sweet time and is not even the Funny. IMHO.

TonicBH

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2005, 02:15:57 AM »
Apparently the $25,000 Pyramid back in its "New" days had bad celebrity players. I have two episodes with Lou Richards. He didn't get in the Winners' Circle in either episode. He also gave an infamous moment where he couldn't remember who Ronald Reagan was.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

BrandonFG

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2005, 02:34:51 AM »
Rosie O'Donnell in the first season of Hollywood Squares. It wasn't so much that she was bad, but I couldn't stand the fact that every time she would try to "bluff," she'd shake her head no to basically let the contestant know to disagree.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SamPrainito

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2005, 03:20:49 AM »
Lynn Redgrave and Harvey Korman on the first episode of "Celebrity Bullseye".  It was one of the two episodes shown on the last "Feast of Favorites".  It was a painful half hour to watch!

whewfan

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2005, 05:41:04 AM »
The match between Jerry Mathers and Tina Louise on Celebrity Bullseye is even more painful IMO. Neither seemed to care that it was a competition, and banked the money at every opportunity, instead of letting it build up higher. I guess since the player keeps any money they bank, win or lose, they were just raking in whatever money they could get. You could tell Jim Lange was thinking "You want to bank THAT.... ok...

Sandy Duncan on Jeopardy! Watching this celeb tourney, especially with Sandy Duncan, was just like watching an SNL Jeopardy! sketch! Alex did indeed get more impatient as the game progressed, and looked like he wanted to get it OVERWITH.

Lynn Redgrave on WML... watching Lynn struggle to ask a question on WML was about as agonizing as any episode of Faux Paus. You wanted to shout "JUST PASS DAMN IT!"

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2005, 03:51:45 PM »
[quote name=\'HairMetalLives\' date=\'Jun 24 2005, 02:10 AM\']I have an episode of "Password Plus" where Regis Philbin guested and wasn't a good player.
[snapback]89946[/snapback]
[/quote]
Although you have to admit he did give the perfect clue for "Alabama."  :)

As an aside, I didn't think Jim Perry looked all that comfortable in his guest shots on P+ and FF (of course, in his P+ week he only won when paired with Judy Norton-Taylor, who I think won every match played that week).  At least he wasn't teamed with civilians in those cases.

Doug -- and the countdown to 1300 continues
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 03:54:58 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

uncamark

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2005, 04:39:56 PM »
Only one response here.  Jimmie "J.J." "Kid Dyn-O-Mite" Walker.  Worst.  "Pyramid."  Player.  Ever.