Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Worthless Celebrity Contestants  (Read 8726 times)

Don Howard

Worthless Celebrity Contestants
« on: June 23, 2005, 11:43:07 AM »
I'll begin.
* Tom Reilly from ChiPs. He appeared on The New $25,000 Pyramid for a week, which was five shows too many. Surprisingly--to me--his team did manage to win one game of the ten.

Your turn. Please limit your contribution to one name so that everyone who wishes can play without repeating a nominee.

ADDED LATER: One name  <  three or four or 127 or more names. I'm mystified as to why that's so difficult to grasp.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 02:19:03 PM by Don Howard »

Pyramid80

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 11:51:39 AM »
I would have to say that Denise Miller from Archie Bunker's Place qualifies as a pretty bad player on The $25,000 Pyramid.  However, she did make it to the winner's circle.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 01:46:29 PM »
Reid Shelton (the original Daddy Warbucks on Broadway) also went 1-10 on the one week he played Pyramid.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

whewfan

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 01:46:41 PM »
Here's my input...

Any soap star on MG- Most of the soap stars that appeared on MG obviously didn't want to be there, and lacked the personality and spontaneity needed for MG. Most notably, Kin Shriner on MG 98 and Deidre Hall on MG/HS.

George Peppard- I don't recall his playing ability on PW+, but his attitude was wrong. He decided to use PW+ as a forum to complain about standards and practices, and the treatment he got. Allen was clearly upset abot George getting on his "high horse". Allen tried to get George to "redeem" himself by asking him to explain why he felt the way he did, but George only dug himself a deeper hole. George was never invited back after that week.

John Saxon- When you have to resort to getting a B movie star, you know you're in trouble. John Saxon was on Whew!, and by some accounts, never won a single game for his partner.

Peter Lawford- While Peter was an excellent Password player, when he was on The $20,000 Pyramid in 1979, he was way past his prime and noticably either drunk or stoned. During the game, he talked with a noticable slur, and he could barely stay in his chair. Ironically, his gameplaying ability wasn't too bad, but it still wasn't good enough to get to the winner's circle. I happened to get an email from a contestant that was on that same week, and she said he was so out of it, he actually made an entrance wearing shoes but no socks. Another bit of irony is that in Pyramid's earlier days, Peter was a much sharper player, as evidenced in the clip they sometimes showed of a contestant chasing Peter around the Winner's Circle. He also appeared much more sober in the Cullen Pyramid ep. in the trading circuit.

Charles Nelson Reilly- Funny guy, great MG panelist, but on Super Password he turned to Jell-O when it comes to word games. He was on the second week and was not asked back.

jmangin

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 01:52:30 PM »
Kin Shriner on MG98; he was chosen for the Super Match and  to "CHUNKY ____" he replied "CHEESE."  UGH

Patty Deutsch; she gave the most annoying responses.  JUST PLAY THE GAME!

Joey Bishop; stink-bomb on MG.  After several appearances he still couldn't grasp the task of holding up his card as he verbally gave his response.

MCArroyo1

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 02:18:49 PM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' date=\'Jun 23 2005, 12:52 PM\']Patty Deutsch; she gave the most annoying responses.  JUST PLAY THE GAME!
[snapback]89827[/snapback]
[/quote]
If all the celebs "just played the game," it would be boring as all hell.  I thought Patti (with an i, by the way) was funny.

And add Valerie Bertinelli to the list for her less-than-stellar work on $20K Pyramid, as well.

jmangin

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 03:13:36 PM »
With regards to Patty--it would have been better if she played around during the 1st question and got serious for 2 (and 3 on PM).  I'm not saying she's not funny--I thought she was hilarious.  It's just annoying when people can't get it together at some point.

cmjb13

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 03:31:48 PM »
[quote name=\'MCArroyo1\' date=\'Jun 23 2005, 02:18 PM\']And add Valerie Bertinelli to the list for her less-than-stellar work on $20K Pyramid, as well.
[snapback]89831[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'm not watching her play the game.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

digiblader

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 03:39:01 PM »
What about William Shatner?

We all remember his moment on the $10,000 Pyramid he played the Winner's Circle himself..

And of course in 1977 on the $20,000 Pyramid where he threw a chair out of the Winner's Circle after blowing up on the category "Things That Are Blessed." I don't believe he was invited back on any future version after that incident.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005, 05:11:30 PM »
John Saxon- When you have to resort to getting a B movie star, you know you're in trouble. John Saxon was on Whew!, and by some accounts, never won a single game for his partner.

I wasn't overly impressed with Robert Vaughn, who's on one of the celebrity episodes in the trading curcuit.  It looked to me like he just wasn't too interested in being there.

And add Valerie Bertinelli to the list for her less-than-stellar work on $20K Pyramid, as well.

I know a couple of her episodes have aired on GSN, but I didn't tape them.  Was she one of the celebrities who never got to the Winner's Circle in the whole week, or am I getting her confused with someone else?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2005, 05:22:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jun 23 2005, 04:11 PM\']I know a couple of her episodes have aired on GSN, but I didn't tape them.  Was she one of the celebrities who never got to the Winner's Circle in the whole week, or am I getting her confused with someone else?
[snapback]89872[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's her...I think Jimmie Walker is on that list, too.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

DrBear

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2005, 05:47:28 PM »
Paula Poundstone, who pretty much screwed up TTTT2k
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

mystery7

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2005, 06:34:03 PM »
Don Galloway was pretty bad on Pyramid. By the grace of his civilian players, he always seemed to get to the Winner's Circle. Unfortunately he almost always gave and seemed to get buzzed almost every time he played. He couldn't grasp categories like "What A _____ Might Say" or "You Put It In Your Pocket", where he started asking his player questions like "What do you do with loose change?" instead of giving a list of things you put in your pocket. Next time I'll give, OK Don?

Fedya

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2005, 10:41:33 PM »
I seem to recall Tony Danza doing a pretty lousy job on the $25K Pyramid.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

mystery7

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2005, 10:50:17 PM »
I remember the woman who had to hit him to get an answer out of him. Great moment.

[punch] Tony!