Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jim Lange  (Read 3616 times)

beatlefreak84

Jim Lange
« on: June 14, 2005, 10:01:08 PM »
Hello all,

First off, it's good to be back!  I'm out of college and thus able to focus much more attention on game shows at the moment.  It's good to see that the board is pretty much the same as it was when I left...oh, how I missed Chris Lemon keeping everyone at bay...:)

Anyway, I have a question for you all:  The other day, I was reading an article on "Bullseye," and it got me thinking...I really didn't think that Jim Lange was a very good host of the show; he seemed to go very slow and was not really good at coming up with ad-libbed jokes.

Personally, I didn't think he was a very good host, but he still got the hosting job on numerous game shows.  If it was because of DG, then that's not really fair because that show could have been moderated by anyone, IMO.  There wasn't really much that Lange had to do.

My question to you:  Was Jim Lange a really good game show host that deserved to have as long a career in game show hosting as he did?  Or did he just get lucky and get the right show?

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
Jim Lange
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 10:20:20 PM »
I thought Jim Lange was an all-around lousy host, especially on Bullseye. I won't even get started on horrid job he did on The New Newlywed Game. Other than the Dating Game, Jim Lange mostly hosted a chain of clunkers that were lucky if they lasted more than one season, and his hosting abilities did nothing to make them more enjoyable.

--Jamie

Jimmy Owen

Jim Lange
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 12:06:30 AM »
The way things are going, there's gonna be a thread soon titled "Bill Cullen.  Was he really that good?"  

Back in the day, there were lots of game shows.  Each one needed a host, and they all couldn't be Bill Cullen.

I thought Jim did a good job on DG, Elaine and Brad proved not just anyone could host the show.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 12:08:57 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

beatlefreak84

Jim Lange
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 01:15:56 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jun 14 2005, 11:06 PM\']The way things are going, there's gonna be a thread soon titled "Bill Cullen.  Was he really that good?" 

Back in the day, there were lots of game shows.  Each one needed a host, and they all couldn't be Bill Cullen.

I thought Jim did a good job on DG, Elaine and Brad proved not just anyone could host the show.
[snapback]89088[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'm not arguing that there wasn't a need for hosts; I'm saying that, usually, ones that didn't do so well as an emcee were usually tossed aside after one or two shows, while Jim Lange continually got show after show for about 20 years.  I, personally, don't think Jim Lange's forte was game show hosting, and hence my post.  He had a long and successful career in game show hosting, and I'm asking if he deserved it?

As a comparison, Bill Cullen certainly did have a forte for hosting game shows, and hence I think he deserved as long of a career in game show hosting as he got.  He knew how to handle contestants, ad-lib effectively, and keep the game moving (except for TJW), all traits that I feel are missing from Jim Lange's emceeing, no matter what show you look at.

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Jim Lange
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 05:25:36 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jun 14 2005, 09:06 PM\']The way things are going, there's gonna be a thread soon titled "Bill Cullen.  Was he really that good?" 
[/quote]
Unlikely. Most of the hosts we've covered have sucked.
What the hell did he have to DO on DG? He had to say "And heeeeeere they are", introduce them, do a little patter while the bachelor(ette) makes up their mind, announce the losers, and announce the prize. Lather, rinse, repeat, blow a kiss at the end. Very little interaction with the players, and virtually no game to run. He stood there at the podium off to the side most of the time.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

whewfan

Jim Lange
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2005, 05:49:41 AM »
I think the show Jim did his best work was Name that Tune. Ok, he's no Kennedy, but I feel he did fine. Art James told us at GSC8 that in the game show biz, luck has a LOT to do with success. With the exception of The Dating Game, Jim's other shows just didn't fly, but it was hardly because of Jim.

I think Dating Game didn't last as long with Elaine Joyce, Jeff Mac.Gregor or Brad Sherwood because they tried to make DG a host driven show, and clearly DG flows just fine when you listen in on the bachelor's questions and the bachelorette's answers, with little to no interruption from the host. Elaine, for the most part, stayed out of the way, although she remained on camera with the bachelor or bachelorette. Unfortunately, she turned to jello when she had to talk on camera. Jeff MacGregor cracked many awful jokes, and for a short time, they tried a "Love Connection" format where they talked to DG contestants about their date. Brad Sherwood was just a victim of a newly vamped format that didn't work. When they made changes to make Dating Game more like the original, including adding daisies to the set, it was too late. Chuck Woolery did a fine job with Dating Game, but he said in an interview that he could NEVER host the show as Lange did. Chuck found a way to add in his trademark wit, without taking too much away from the banter between the bachelor and bachelorettes.

gsnstooge

Jim Lange
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2005, 07:58:59 AM »
I think he did.  I grew up watching him on Bullseye and NTT.  I think he was personable on both shows and had the perfect dramatic pace on Bullseye.  Along with Jon Bauman, Bill Rafferty, Pat Finn, and Chuck Henry, one of the top five underrated hosts.  Of course it could be my episodes.  Besides, I can see him trading places with Peter Marshall for a round of All-Star Blitz reading questions that were all missed on Bullseye.  Same thing with Jon Bauman for a day on MG-HS with Jon being in the center square.  There is a partial episode of Rita Moreno and Max Gail on Bullseye that I have on tape with great gameplay and before the final commercial break, Jim says "Good game!"  You ain't seen everything yet on all-celeb gameplay.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 08:30:40 AM by gsnstooge »

tvwxman

Jim Lange
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2005, 08:44:30 AM »
[quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Jun 15 2005, 06:58 AM\'] Besides, I can see him trading places with Peter Marshall for a round of All-Star Blitz reading questions that were all missed on Bullseye.  Same thing with Jon Bauman for a day on MG-HS with Jon being in the center square.
[snapback]89120[/snapback]
[/quote]

And I can see you're wierd.

[quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Jun 15 2005, 06:58 AM\'] There is a partial episode of Rita Moreno and Max Gail on Bullseye that I have on tape with great gameplay and before the final commercial break, Jim says "Good game!"  You ain't seen everything yet on all-celeb gameplay.
[snapback]89120[/snapback]
[/quote]

Wow. Stunning use of the host ad-lib. Your example astounds me, and I'm sure I'm not alone.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Don Howard

Jim Lange
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2005, 08:44:36 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 15 2005, 04:25 AM\']He stood there at the podium off to the side most of the time.
[snapback]89111[/snapback]
[/quote]
But at the end of the show, boy, could he dance!!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Jim Lange
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2005, 02:34:21 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Jun 15 2005, 05:44 AM\']And I can see you're wierd.
Wow. Stunning use of the host ad-lib. Your example astounds me, and I'm sure I'm not alone.
[/quote]
You can say that again. :)

(Actually, you encapsulated my reaction perfectly.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe