Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TV Guide Retro...  (Read 4621 times)

aaron sica

TV Guide Retro...
« on: May 22, 2005, 02:23:21 PM »
STATION KEY:
Philly - KYW-3 (NBC), WFIL-6 (ABC), WCAU-10 (CBS)
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton: WNEP-16 (ABC), WDAU-22 (CBS), WBRE-28 (NBC)
Harrisburg/Lebanon/Lancaster/York: WGAL-8 (NBC), WLYH-15 (CBS), WHP-21 (CBS), WTPA-27 (ABC), WSBA-43 (CBS)

9:30 (16) Dialing For Dollars
10:00 (3, 8, 28) It Takes Two
Guests: Morey Amsterdam, Meredith MacRae, John Gary and spouses.
10:30 (3, 8, 28) Concentration
Bob Clayton takes over as host.
(6) Movie Game
11:00 (3, 8, 28) Sale of the Century
DEBUT: Jack Kelly (TV's Bart Maverick) hosts this weekday game show. Contestants vie for cash and prizes as they try to guess the selling prices of everyday items.
(6) Beat the Clock
11:30 (3, 8, 28) Hollywood Squares-Game
Guests: Jim Backus, Stu Gilliam, Arlene Golonka, Ruta Lee, Vincent Price, and Dennis Weaver.
12:00 (28) Jeopardy-Game
12:30 (8, 28) Name Droppers-Game
DEBUT: Hollywood zanies Al Lohman and Roger Barkley host this daily game show, featuring a celebrity panel and 25 members of the studio audience. This week: Glenn Ford, Michael Landon and Meredith MacRae are the celebrity guests.
1:00 (6, 16, 27) Dream House
(8) To Tell The Truth
1:30 (6, 16, 27) Make a Deal
(8, 28) You're Putting Me On-Game
Larry Blyden begins emcee duties today. Guests: Peggy Cass, Milt Kamen, E.J. Peaker, Joan Rivers, William Shatner and Mel Torme.
2:00 (6, 16, 27) Newlywed Game
2:30 (6, 16, 27) Dating Game
3:30 (6) Stump the Stars
4:00 (3, 8, 28) Letters to Laugh-In
DEBUT: Writers of the best - and worst - letters to Laugh-In are the winners in this series hosted by Gary Owens. Reading the letters submitted to viewers this week: Angie Dickinson, Jack E. Leonard, Dan Rowan and Jo Anne Worley.
5:00 (15, 21, 43) Beat The Clock
5:30 (15, 21, 43) Stump The Stars
7:00 (6) What's My Line?
(8) Truth or Consequences

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TV Guide Retro...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 03:08:34 PM »
I absolutely do not understand the point of these posts. 1) it's not even close to September, and 2) why would anyone outside of PA care?

If I'm missing something, tell me. But these strike me as about as sensible as wishing someone a happy birthday because they swept up after Patrishka The Dancing Bear on an episode of IGAS once.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 03:12:03 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

TV Guide Retro...
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 03:37:02 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'May 22 2005, 02:08 PM\']I absolutely do not understand the point of these posts. 1) it's not even close to September, and 2) why would anyone outside of PA care?

If I'm missing something, tell me. But these strike me as about as sensible as wishing someone a happy birthday because they swept up after Patrishka The Dancing Bear on an episode of IGAS once.
[snapback]86161[/snapback]
[/quote]

Chris, I assume you are not a TV Guide collector.  :)   I enjoy the old skeds cause I remember the shows.  It's fun to look back to one of the pivotal dates in game show history.  Here's a challenge:  Without looking, what shows were replaced by the newcomers on this sked?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 03:40:10 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

That Don Guy

TV Guide Retro...
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 03:47:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'May 22 2005, 02:37 PM\']Here's a challenge:  Without looking, what shows were replaced by the newcomers on this sked?
[snapback]86166[/snapback]
[/quote]
Being only seven at the time, I don't remember very much from back then, but if I had to guess, I'd say that the replaced shows were The Match Game, Reach For The Stars, and probably some soap opera.  (I would have said Name Droppers had I not seen it on the schedule.)

-- Don

Jimmy Owen

TV Guide Retro...
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 03:59:24 PM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' date=\'May 22 2005, 02:47 PM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'May 22 2005, 02:37 PM\']Here's a challenge:  Without looking, what shows were replaced by the newcomers on this sked?
[snapback]86166[/snapback]
[/quote]
Being only seven at the time, I don't remember very much from back then, but if I had to guess, I'd say that the replaced shows were The Match Game, Reach For The Stars, and probably some soap opera.  (I would have said Name Droppers had I not seen it on the schedule.)

-- Don
[snapback]86168[/snapback]
[/quote]

Match Game is right.  The other two are a couple of Bob Stewart productions.  Also on that day (though not noted) the soap "Bright Promise" replaced YDS!

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
TV Guide Retro...
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 04:35:08 PM »
Here's a challenge: Without looking, what shows were replaced by the newcomers on this sked?

Namedroppers replaced Eye Guess. What a travesty.
The Movie Game was on back in '69? Gee, how on earth did THAT last till '72?!

--Jamie
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 04:40:08 PM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

Jimmy Owen

TV Guide Retro...
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 06:12:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' date=\'May 22 2005, 03:35 PM\']
Here's a challenge: Without looking, what shows were replaced by the newcomers on this sked?

Namedroppers replaced Eye Guess. What a travesty.
The Movie Game was on back in '69? Gee, how on earth did THAT last till '72?!

--Jamie
[snapback]86171[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yep.  $ale replaced a Larry Blyden show.  Of course, Larry would go on to replace Sonny Fox on Movie Game (which is probably how the show lasted until 72)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 06:13:32 PM by Jimmy Owen »

aaron sica

TV Guide Retro...
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 07:45:02 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'May 22 2005, 03:08 PM\']I absolutely do not understand the point of these posts. 1) it's not even close to September, and 2) why would anyone outside of PA care?

[snapback]86161[/snapback]
[/quote]

As previously stated, I guess you really have to be a TV Guide collector to appreciate this. Tell me this, though, Chris - as most of my TV Guides are from PA (since it's where I live), I do have some that are from around California back around the early '70s. Would you be more interested in this if they were from stations you recognize?

I've been collecting them since I was 6 and I find it absolutely fascinating to see what the stations I've grown up with used to show. But, to each his own.

Jimmy Owen

TV Guide Retro...
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2005, 08:14:59 PM »
Since network programming is mostly nationwide, I would think it would be of interest to everyone.  If the thread is a "TV Guide Retro" one, those who don't like to see the old skeds at the very least have the option to not click on them.

For example, I usually don't read the show summaries of shows like "Street Smarts" because I am not interested in them. However, I have never wondered why other people enjoy them and would not want to deny them the pleasure of reading them.

Don Howard

TV Guide Retro...
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2005, 08:17:06 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'May 22 2005, 01:23 PM\']STATION KEY:
10:30 (3, 8, 28) Concentration
Bob Clayton takes over as host.
[snapback]86156[/snapback]
[/quote]
This I believe is when Bob took over permanently after the Ed McMahon experiment didn't work out.
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'May 22 2005, 01:23 PM\']11:00 (3, 8, 28) Sale of the Century
DEBUT: Jack Kelly (TV's Bart Maverick) hosts this weekday game show. Contestants vie for cash and prizes as they try to guess the selling prices of everyday items.
[/quote]
What?!? Did they pinch that description from a Price Is Right premiere? That ain't how $ale was played.

aaron sica

TV Guide Retro...
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2005, 08:32:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'May 22 2005, 08:17 PM\'][quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'May 22 2005, 01:23 PM\']11:00 (3, 8, 28) Sale of the Century
[/quote]
What?!? Did they pinch that description from a Price Is Right premiere? That ain't how $ale was played.
[snapback]86185[/snapback]
[/quote]

Of course, I type them word for word, but as I was typing that, I was thinking the exact same thing.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TV Guide Retro...
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2005, 08:53:06 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'May 22 2005, 04:45 PM\']As previously stated, I guess you really have to be a TV Guide collector to appreciate this. Tell me this, though, Chris - as most of my TV Guides are from PA (since it's where I live), I do have some that are from around California back around the early '70s. Would you be more interested in this if they were from stations you recognize?
[/quote]
Not really. I know what the stations were, I know what was on, I know what time it aired.

I'd be mildly entertained if scans of the GS ads were featured, maybe. (Of course, we can't post those here directly.) But a report of TV listings? Just doesn't do it for me.

Jimmy's got a good point. Apparently there are some people who enjoy 'em, so I should prolly just bypass the threads.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

The Pyramids

TV Guide Retro...
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2005, 08:55:55 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Seeing 'Truth or Consequences' listed is a reminder of how long Bob Barker has been a fixture on TV.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 08:58:10 PM by PaulD »

aaron sica

TV Guide Retro...
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2005, 08:58:05 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'May 22 2005, 08:53 PM\']
I'd be mildly entertained if scans of the GS ads were featured, maybe. (Of course, we can't post those here directly.) But a report of TV listings? Just doesn't do it for me.

[snapback]86189[/snapback]
[/quote]

There are plenty of those websites around, but I've got a few GS ads as well that I don't think were scanned.

It's just fascinating to me, with all the changes in daytime lineups and such, considering that ABC's 1pm-4pm (EST) lineup has not changed in over 25 years, and CBS's 12:30-4pm lineup in over 15, considering changes back then were very common..

Ian Wallis

TV Guide Retro...
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2005, 04:16:29 PM »
I enjoy these threads (that's probably why I posted a couple of them myself!)

I was always fascinated by what stations aired the different shows in each city.  Some network shows weren't cleared by the local affiliate, some were aired on tape delay, some syndicated shows might not have been seen in certain areas, etc.  It's also a good tool if you're wondering who played what show when.  Plus, it's fun to relive the memory of those days when game shows dominated.

When you look at the 1969 changes, NBC was really going for a new look that day - what with three game shows premiering, plus the hosting changes in two others - it really was a brand new day on NBC.  Oh wait....that came later, and was a different network!  (Maybe that should be the next TV Guide retro thread :)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!