Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Who Wants To Be An Emmy Winner?  (Read 7026 times)

DrBear

Who Wants To Be An Emmy Winner?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2005, 08:37:42 AM »
Add two thoughts about Viera:

1. She came in not only as a game show rookie but in the same role as Regis Philbin who became even more of a national figure with his work on the network version of the show. Despite that, she has made her version of the show her own, kept the basic style and added some nice touches.

2. You'll note that Millionaire did not win as best game show. So if she did that good a job on a show that wasn't the best one out there, shouldn't she get recognition?
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2005, 09:27:11 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'May 21 2005, 04:10 AM\'][quote name=\'NicholasM79\' date=\'May 21 2005, 12:42 AM\']Ok then, I think Barker can beat her hands down on any day of the year.
[/quote]
Okay. Now tell us why. 'Cuz I sure as hell don't see it.

Vieira makes the contestants comfortable, is entertaining, and runs the show very efficiently and seems very comfortable doing it considering she is in her second season.

Barker gets into all kinds of highly public crap with his costars, is visibly impatient with his more idiotic contestants (which I can understand, but you DO NOT LET THAT SHOW in the business he's in) and frequently screws up the games, covering up his gaffe by throwing up his hands and yelling "You win the prize! Yaaaaaay!"

And if you don't think the Emmy voters know ALL ABOUT the egotistical behind-the-scenes stuff with Barker, you're not thinking. WE know about it, and aside from a few folks like Randy, we're all merely fans.

I'd go so far to suggest that the only reason Barker was NOMINATED is because he's 417 years old. I'd sure as hell give the Emmy to Trebek before I'd give it to Barker.
[snapback]85988[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, consider this then... we're judging the on-air performance, right?  I do think he's better sometimes simply because he dosen't stick to the traditional format every time.  When Murphy's Law comes to slap him in the face, which due to his age happens more often than not these days, he still finds a way to handle it good. He dosen't just say "You win the prize! Yaaaay!".

I just say this, am I just entitled to have my opinion? I know you're entitled to have your opinion.  I will concde this however, I merely forgot about Trebek, he should have gotten it first before Barker.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 09:28:06 AM by NicholasM79 »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2005, 12:13:00 PM »
The only reason "Jeopardy!" won the show Emmy was because Jennings jacked up the ratings.
If you've never worked on a game show you can't appreciate what it takes to keep a show like Jeopardy! going. 61 questions per day times five shows per week times what, 39 weeks? That's almost 12,000 questions per season which have to be written, researched and Chyroned, all the while keeping up the quality of the material. When was the last time you heard someone complain that the quality of Jeopardy! material was slipping? For those reasons alone they deserve recognition.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 12:13:51 PM by chris319 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2005, 01:49:28 PM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' date=\'May 21 2005, 06:27 AM\']Well, consider this then... we're judging the on-air performance, right?  I do think he's better sometimes simply because he dosen't stick to the traditional format every time.  When Murphy's Law comes to slap him in the face, which due to his age happens more often than not these days, he still finds a way to handle it good. He dosen't just say "You win the prize! Yaaaay!".
[/quote]
So we're supposed to reward a man who handles incompetence with aplomb? Yeah. Okay. I prefer to reward people who aren't incompetent to start with.
I just say this, am I just entitled to have my opinion?
Of course you are. I never said you weren't. I simply asked you to provide a reason for it, since I disagreed with it.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2005, 02:37:50 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'May 21 2005, 11:13 AM\']If you've never worked on a game show you can't appreciate what it takes to keep a show like Jeopardy! going. 61 questions per day times five shows per week times what, 39 weeks? That's almost 12,000 questions per season which have to be written, researched and Chyroned, all the while keeping up the quality of the material. When was the last time you heard someone complain that the quality of Jeopardy! material was slipping? For those reasons alone they deserve recognition.
[snapback]86010[/snapback]
[/quote]
12,000 answers.
Anyhow, when they have to resort to gimmicks, "clue crews" and various levels of low-lying pop culture, I'm not that impressed by the "research".
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2005, 02:41:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'May 21 2005, 11:37 AM\']Anyhow, when they have to resort to gimmicks, "clue crews" and various levels of low-lying pop culture, I'm not that impressed by the "research".
[/quote]
Until you've done it, I'm pretty sure the Emmy voters could give two tin ones whether or not you're impressed.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

cmjb13

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2005, 02:51:32 PM »
After seeing both shows tape, I think Millionaire has an advantage where having shows end on time are less critical than Price.

Millionaire, with either tape-stop downs or re-edits, can take longer than 30 minutes to shoot a single episode.

Where as Price, they try to get the show done as quick as possible, often doing retakes during the breaks, if time allows. And for the past year or so, they have often been starting taping early so they can go home early.

What I'm not sure of is if ending a tape day early saves any money.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 02:52:27 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2005, 02:52:13 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'May 21 2005, 01:41 PM\'][quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'May 21 2005, 11:37 AM\']Anyhow, when they have to resort to gimmicks, "clue crews" and various levels of low-lying pop culture, I'm not that impressed by the "research".
[/quote]
Until you've done it, I'm pretty sure the Emmy voters could give two tin ones whether or not you're impressed.
[snapback]86025[/snapback]
[/quote]
Oh come on. Quotable movies 2004? 2005's Rock 'N Roll hall of famers? I'm sure a lot of thought went into those questions.

Personally, I don't think any show deserved "outstanding game show" recognition this year.  Perhaps America's Funniest Home Videos. :P
--Mark
Phil 4:13

cmjb13

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2005, 02:53:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'May 21 2005, 02:52 PM\']Personally, I don't think any show deserved "outstanding game show" recognition this year. 
[snapback]86027[/snapback]
[/quote]
Family Feud?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

GameShowFan

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2005, 03:01:13 PM »
61 questions per day times five shows per week times what, 39 weeks? That's almost 12,000 questions per season which have to be written, researched and Chyroned, all the while keeping up the quality of the material. When was the last time you heard someone complain that the quality of Jeopardy! material was slipping? For those reasons alone they deserve recognition.

For Special Class Writing, which they seem to win every year, anyways.

In my eyes, the material has gotten easier since Gary Johnson took over as head writer. Credit Where It's Due: The material has gotten harder and harder in the UToC since about halfway through the quarterfinals. The semifinals have left me slack-jawwed.

'B

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2005, 06:00:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'May 21 2005, 11:37 AM\']12,000 answers.
Anyhow, when they have to resort to gimmicks, "clue crews" and various levels of low-lying pop culture, I'm not that impressed by the "research".
[snapback]86024[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's not fair one bit.  While they have the clue crew, and an overabundance of 'shot on location' clues, there is still a very small group of people who have to double-fact check EVERY SINGLE one of those clues.  Then proofreading, typesetting, and all of that.

Now, what exactly do you call low-lying pop culture?  I don't like it either, but just about everything is fair game on Jeopardy!  The people know that going in, too.  There's more to popular culture than auto-racing and country music.

[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'May 21 2005, 11:52 AM\']Oh come on. Quotable movies 2004? 2005's Rock 'N Roll hall of famers? I'm sure a lot of thought went into those questions.
[snapback]86027[/snapback]
[/quote]
I think it did, because they went ahead and did a whole category about famous musicians.  Just because it's outside your frame of reference doesn't make it invalid.  I recall you've written a couple full games of Jeopardy for chat use, and had two players finish in the red.  The researchers do that for 230 games a year, in a very short span of time.  Bravo to all of them; it's a tough thing to do without going totally insane.

Congratulations, Meredith.  Well done.
Travis L. Eberle

takinover

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2005, 08:54:19 PM »
I may be way too biased sitting across from her last year, but I can't think of a better person to win.

Congrats, Meredith!

uncamark

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2005, 01:34:56 PM »
Of course Meredith deserves it.  With all due respect to the Reegster, she and "WWTBAM" are a virtually perfect match.  Congratulations to her.

And whether or not the material has been "dumbed down," for 21 years the "J!" material has simply been the best-written game show material around.  Writing a "J!" clue is almost like writing haiku, and the people who do it have the knack and have proven it consistently.  And Steve Dorfman deserved one final honor--outisde of Trebek, no one else's contributions have shaped the show over the years more than his.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2005, 04:26:12 AM »
Oh come on. Quotable movies 2004? 2005's Rock 'N Roll hall of famers? I'm sure a lot of thought went into those questions.
Once you've asked every conceivable question in the Encyclopedia Britannica you have to come up with something new. After two decades there are only so many ways you can ask "Who killed Abe Lincoln?". In order to keep the material fresh and variegated they have to broaden the scope of the material with categories about current films and rock 'n' roll. Anyone who has spent 13 weeks employed as a game show writer eventually comes to realize that; as a naive outsider you probably wouldn't.

Personally, I don't think any show deserved "outstanding game show" recognition this year.
The buzz in Hollywood is that there is a game show in development which is so good, it will meet even your standards. It is anticipated that all four networks will enter into an aggressive bidding war for this show, and that Fox is even considering replacing American Idol with it.

johnnya2k3

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2005, 05:00:10 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'May 21 2005, 12:10 AM\']I'd go so far to suggest that the only reason Barker was NOMINATED is because he's 417 years old.[/quote]
Um, more like 81 years old.

Anyway, Vieira is the second female honored with a Game Show Host Emmy; Betty White got hers in 1983 for the short-lived "Just Men"...which of course, premiered on the same day TPIR debuted Plinko!!

BTW, today on "The View" the other ladies will no doubt gloat over Meredith's win. Remember the "Bob won an Emmy! Bob won an Emmy!" chants on TPIR one time after Barker got his award years ago?

Jonathan Allen
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 05:16:01 AM by johnnya2k3 »