Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Card Sharks  (Read 12677 times)

AH3RD

Card Sharks
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2005, 05:36:27 PM »
It goes right up the middle for me. Both the NBC and CBS daytime editions, hands down.

The 2001 syndie version wrecked the entire scheme of things with its new rules (and, I might add, its new set!) and it earned its failure.
Aaron Handy III - ah07_1999@yahoo.com

The ABC Password Page

The Aaron Handy III TV Web Shrine

saussage

Card Sharks
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2005, 08:41:00 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'May 21 2005, 12:45 PM\'][quote name=\'saussage\' date=\'May 21 2005, 09:08 AM\']I lied. I have one more question. Was it in the rules where you could say that the card was not higher OR lower but rather than the card was the same?
[/quote]
No. Unlike some shows, they had rules in place to keep people from being ABJECT MORONS.

Sometimes I wish we had similar rules here.
[snapback]86021[/snapback]
[/quote]
So people don't like being nitpickers, huh? :)

I guess people don't like stirring up anything with stupid questions. I didn't think the question was that moronic. If the push rule was never in place, contestants could be morons by complaining that the money cards was not possible to win because of how the cards were laid out. If the card's the same back-to-back, you're screwed in a loophole. If a possibility that something could happen without having a rule in place, it's called "pass me the aspirin when it happens and a contestant complains." :)

Oh yeah, a moronic question would be "Do people actually care about the poems on CS and if so, which one do you like and why?"

Aces are high,
Deuces are low.
Pick up your cards,
and away we go....
Don't think too hard... you might give yourself a headache.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Card Sharks
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2005, 08:56:45 PM »
[quote name=\'saussage\' date=\'May 21 2005, 05:41 PM\']I guess people don't like stirring up anything with stupid questions. I didn't think the question was that moronic.
[/quote]
You were wrong. God, were you wrong.
If the push rule was never in place, contestants could be morons by complaining that the money cards was not possible to win because of how the cards were laid out.
...at which point they would be directed to the released they signed which indicated they understood the rules of the game that were provided to them, and then told (hopefully in these exact words) to STFU.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

saussage

Card Sharks
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2005, 10:33:15 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'May 21 2005, 07:56 PM\'][quote name=\'saussage\' date=\'May 21 2005, 05:41 PM\']I guess people don't like stirring up anything with stupid questions. I didn't think the question was that moronic.
[/quote]
You were wrong. God, were you wrong.
[snapback]86080[/snapback]
[/quote]
I guess to ask a question, never ask it to clemon79 otherwise you might get GONGED.

I'm sure I'm not the only one on this board who wondered if there was a rule on CS to say that the next was not higher or lower but rather that it was the same.

zachhoran

Card Sharks
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2005, 10:37:08 PM »
[quote name=\'saussage\' date=\'May 21 2005, 09:33 PM\']

I'm sure I'm not the only one on this board who wondered if there was a rule on CS to say that the next was not higher or lower but rather that it was the same.
[snapback]86097[/snapback]
[/quote]

We don't wonder about that, the damned rules of the game as explained by the hosts early in the run said that the players had to predict whether each card would be higher or lower than the one that precede it, not higher, lower, or the same.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Card Sharks
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2005, 10:37:18 PM »
No, just don't ask questions that you know the answer to.  Why on EARTH would you say "I think it's a repeat, Jim!" when the odds are roughly 12:1 against?  When you can call higher/lower?

Yeesh.
Travis L. Eberle

saussage

Card Sharks
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2005, 11:35:49 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'May 21 2005, 09:37 PM\']No, just don't ask questions that you know the answer to.  Why on EARTH would you say "I think it's a repeat, Jim!" when the odds are roughly 12:1 against?  When you can call higher/lower?

Yeesh.
[snapback]86099[/snapback]
[/quote]
It might've been a rule that wouldn't have been used much but at least it would've been there. The odds suck at 12:1 I agree but at least the contestant wouldn't have felt it was a lost cause since the option would've been available. Then the contestant wouldn't have had any excuses... he/she just picked the wrong option and lost.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Card Sharks
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2005, 11:49:45 PM »
[quote name=\'saussage\' date=\'May 21 2005, 08:35 PM\']It might've been a rule that wouldn't have been used much but at least it would've been there. The odds suck at 12:1 I agree but at least the contestant wouldn't have felt it was a lost cause since the option would've been available. Then the contestant wouldn't have had any excuses... he/she just picked the wrong option and lost.
[/quote]
You can keep trying to explain it, it doesn't make the notion any less idiotic.

You KNOW you've been pwned when Zach flames you along with everyone else.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Card Sharks
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2005, 04:55:57 AM »
I suppose on "Tic Tac Dough" you think the contestant should be allowed another chance after he hits the dragon too.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

saussage

Card Sharks
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2005, 10:19:50 AM »
Well, I guess being curious about something that nobody else ever gave a damn. Moronic to some people is interesting to others.

BTW: Comparing TTD to CS bonus rounds cannot be done. At least in TTD, all the options are available to you and you don't have a 1:12 chance of losing no matter what you do. If it's part of the rules that the contestant gets screwed over if a double comes up... then so be it. In that case, it would make even more sence having the PUSH rule into effect.

I guess I need to dig up something more interesting to talk about on this board otherwise I'll just watch from the sidelines.

tvwxman

Card Sharks
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2005, 11:33:39 AM »
[quote name=\'saussage\' date=\'May 22 2005, 09:19 AM\']
I guess I need to dig up something more interesting to talk about on this board otherwise I'll just watch from the sidelines.
[snapback]86129[/snapback]
[/quote]

In 96 posts, that's the best thing you've suggested.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Don Howard

Card Sharks
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2005, 11:35:11 AM »
[quote name=\'saussage\' date=\'May 22 2005, 09:19 AM\']Well, I guess being curious about something that nobody else ever gave a damn. Moronic to some people is interesting to others.
[/quote]
Which explains all the back-up you're getting.
[quote name=\'saussage\' date=\'May 22 2005, 09:19 AM\']I guess I need to dig up something more interesting to talk about on this board otherwise I'll just watch from the sidelines.
[/quote]
The sidelines are infinitely better that spectating from the set of The $64,000 Challenge.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 11:36:02 AM by Don Howard »

DrJWJustice

Card Sharks
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2005, 06:34:13 PM »
[quote name=\'saussage\' date=\'May 21 2005, 10:35 PM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'May 21 2005, 09:37 PM\']No, just don't ask questions that you know the answer to.  Why on EARTH would you say "I think it's a repeat, Jim!" when the odds are roughly 12:1 against?  When you can call higher/lower?

Yeesh.
[snapback]86099[/snapback]
[/quote]
It might've been a rule that wouldn't have been used much but at least it would've been there. The odds suck at 12:1 I agree but at least the contestant wouldn't have felt it was a lost cause since the option would've been available. Then the contestant wouldn't have had any excuses... he/she just picked the wrong option and lost.
[snapback]86107[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, that's why it's called GAMBLING!  There's an element of chance that someone will lose.  It'd be boring as hell otherwise.  

Here's what I think of your notion, and I'll put it in Card Sharks terms.  

(Jim Perry):  It's the SAME CARD call idea!  Is the next idea going to be HIGHER or LOWER?
(Saussage):  HIGHER.
(Jim Perry filps card and says):  You're right!  It's the Scarecrow (Award) of Clubs!

saussage

Card Sharks
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2005, 08:16:53 PM »
The guy with 4 3's may have wanted to use a rule like that :)

I think Modor would want to throw a pie in my face. I have a 1 in 12 chance...
* ducks *

johnnya2k3

Card Sharks
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2005, 06:23:16 PM »
Let's move on, people...

I was too young to remember the original Perry version, but the mid-'80s with Eubanks/Rafferty had a flashier set and exciting gameplay...not to mention Lacey and Susanna dealing the cards in those short skirts that showed off a lot of those (pantyhosed) legs! Even the computer animated open added a nice touch to it.

As for "Card Guppies" (the 2001 version)? Only thing I liked about it was the logo; we all know about everything else.

Jonathan Allen