Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GS theme question...not stupid I swear...  (Read 12250 times)

JMFabiano

GS theme question...not stupid I swear...
« on: April 26, 2005, 06:10:24 PM »
Something I was wondering...now most of us all know and love "You Don't Know How To Tell The Truth," the Moore/Garagiola-era TTTT theme of course.  What I want to know is, does anyone know the artist(s) who actually sang the song?
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

uncamark

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 05:23:48 PM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Apr 26 2005, 05:10 PM\']Something I was wondering...now most of us all know and love "You Don't Know How To Tell The Truth," the Moore/Garagiola-era TTTT theme of course.  What I want to know is, does anyone know the artist(s) who actually sang the song?
[snapback]83395[/snapback]
[/quote]

Anonymous session singers.  Score probably has their names somewhere in their files, in case they have to got royalties off the Varese Sarabande game show album or "Catch Me if You Can."

dizzy

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 05:38:19 PM »
Anonymous session singers.  Score probably has their names somewhere in their files, in case they have to got royalties off the Varese Sarabande game show album or "Catch Me if You Can."
-----------

Yeah it's probably in the same file as the "All Star Blitz" Guy and the "The Better Sex" singers.

Dizzy
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 05:38:45 PM by dizzy »

calliaume

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 05:45:25 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Apr 27 2005, 04:23 PM\'][quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Apr 26 2005, 05:10 PM\']Something I was wondering...now most of us all know and love "You Don't Know How To Tell The Truth," the Moore/Garagiola-era TTTT theme of course.  What I want to know is, does anyone know the artist(s) who actually sang the song?
[/quote]

[snapback]83560[/snapback]
[/quote]
Anonymous session singers were big around that era, after Don Kirshner proved he could create a group (The Archies) bereft of actual people.  Sometimes the same person would sing for multiple groups (the same guy sang both "Sugar Sugar" and the Cuff Links' "Tracy," another guy sang both "Love Grows {Where My Rosemary Goes}" by Edison Lighthouse and "My Baby Loves Lovin'" by White Plains).

The singer(s) may have worked for a flat fee, rather than a royalty scale.

TimK2003

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 06:56:20 PM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Apr 26 2005, 05:10 PM\']Something I was wondering...now most of us all know and love "You Don't Know How To Tell The Truth," the Moore/Garagiola-era TTTT theme of course.  What I want to know is, does anyone know the artist(s) who actually sang the song?
[/quote]

Back in the days when atgs was "cool", I thought I remember someone say that Score Prods. had used the same singers who sang the "Love, American Style" theme?  I want to say that they were the Charles Fox Singers, as Fox was a prominent TV theme writer/composer in the 60's & 70's.

dizzy

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 07:47:30 PM »
Back in the days when atgs was "cool", I thought I remember someone say that Score Prods. had used the same singers who sang the "Love, American Style" theme?  I want to say that they were the Charles Fox Singers, as Fox was a prominent TV theme writer/composer in the 60's & 70's.
----------------

"The Cowsills" did Love American Style. You can hear a piece of it by clicking track 13 here http://music.msn.com/artist/?artist=16073522&palbum=10473615

A little history on the Band can be seen here. I also believe they were the inspiration for The Partridge Family.

http://www.stellarshowcase.durham.on.ca/billhistory.htm

Dizzy
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 07:48:05 PM by dizzy »

TimK2003

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 08:04:23 PM »
[quote name=\'dizzy\' date=\'Apr 27 2005, 06:47 PM\']Back in the days when atgs was "cool", I thought I remember someone say that Score Prods. had used the same singers who sang the "Love, American Style" theme?  I want to say that they were the Charles Fox Singers, as Fox was a prominent TV theme writer/composer in the 60's & 70's.
----------------
 "The Cowsills" did Love American Style. You can hear a piece of it by clicking track 13 here http://music.msn.com/artist/?artist=16073522&palbum=10473615
[snapback]83586[/snapback]
[/quote]

The Cowsills did indeed sing a version of LAS, but did not sing the actual TV version. I don't want to confuse anyone out there in TV-Land land into thinking the Cowsills sang the TV version.  BTW,  Charles Fox, along with Arnold Margolin co-wrote the song.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 08:04:53 PM »
The Cowsills are better known for "The Rain, The Park, and Other Things" and the theme to Hair.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Chief-O

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 08:18:10 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Apr 27 2005, 05:56 PM\']Back in the days when atgs was "cool", I thought I remember someone say that Score Prods. had used the same singers who sang the "Love, American Style" theme?  I want to say that they were the Charles Fox Singers, as Fox was a prominent TV theme writer/composer in the 60's & 70's.
[snapback]83576[/snapback]
[/quote]

Tim, I think you may be right on that. IIRC, Charles Fox co-wrote the TTTT theme [with Paul Alter].
.....and it goes like this!!!

dizzy

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005, 08:19:53 PM »
The Cowsills did indeed sing a version of LAS, but did not sing the actual TV version. I don't want to confuse anyone out there in TV-Land land into thinking the Cowsills sang the TV version.
---------------------

This may be the wrong place to get in a Love American style debate, but I thought The Cowsills did sing the TV version........until I found this page

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/showth...?threadid=19511

I guess we can end the debate here and now since the Composer of the song chimed in on that Board.  Not even sure where the Cowsills enter into the equation anymore. Now I'm all confused. lol.

Dizzy

TimK2003

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2005, 08:52:55 PM »
[quote name=\'dizzy\' date=\'Apr 27 2005, 07:19 PM\'] I guess we can end the debate here and now since the Composer of the song chimed in on that Board.  Not even sure where the Cowsills enter into the equation anymore. Now I'm all confused. lol.
[snapback]83593[/snapback]
[/quote]

The Cowsills are in an elite category of musical artists who performed TV theme songs that made the Billboard Charts, but their versions were not the original TV versions.

Other artists in that elite category:

•The Ventures -- "Theme From 'Hawaii Five-0'" (1969)

•Pratt & McClain -- "Happy Days" (which BTW was another Charles Fox ditty, IIRC). (1976)

•Al Caiola -- "Theme From 'Bonanza'" (1961)

and to keep on topic...

•Billy Vaughn -- "A Swingin' Safari" aka "Theme from 'The Match Game'" (1962)

davemackey

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2005, 09:54:56 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Apr 27 2005, 05:45 PM\']Anonymous session singers were big around that era, after Don Kirshner proved he could create a group (The Archies) bereft of actual people.  Sometimes the same person would sing for multiple groups (the same guy sang both "Sugar Sugar" and the Cuff Links' "Tracy," another guy sang both "Love Grows {Where My Rosemary Goes}" by Edison Lighthouse and "My Baby Loves Lovin'" by White Plains).

The singer(s) may have worked for a flat fee, rather than a royalty scale.
[snapback]83565[/snapback]
[/quote]
The lead singer of both the Archies and the Cuff Links was Ron Dante. Andy Kim, Donna Marie, Toni Wine and Jeannie Thomas were the other singers. (Me, I still stay up nights wondering whose "I'm gonna make love so sweet" is first in the song "Sugar Sugar" - Betty or Veronica.)

Edison Lighthouse's and White Plains' lead singer was Tony Burrows, a Brit. Neither of Burrows' groups had any formal connection to Don Kirschner, however.

geno57

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2005, 10:42:58 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Apr 27 2005, 07:52 PM\']
and to keep on topic...
•Billy Vaughn -- "A Swingin' Safari" aka "Theme from 'The Match Game'" (1962)
[/quote]

There's errant information to be found on various websites, and even within the second Varese GS theme collection, attributing the 1960s "The Match Game" theme to Vaughn. While Billy's rendition was, indeed, used on the never-aired pilot (which is easily available on the trading circuit), it was composer Bert Kaempfert's own version that was actually heard on the show every day for almost six years.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2005, 01:38:49 AM »
[quote name=\'dizzy\' date=\'Apr 27 2005, 06:47 PM\']"The Cowsills" did Love American Style. ...
[snip]
A little history on the Band can be seen here. I also believe they were the inspiration for The Partridge Family.
[snapback]83586[/snapback]
[/quote]
Actually, the Cowsills were the inspiration for The Partridge Family.  Furthermore, when the pilot was in itas earliest stages in 1969, the family was originally supposed to be played by the Cowsills themselves.

ObGS: Bert Convy guest starred on PF three times.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2005, 03:14:04 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Apr 27 2005, 08:54 PM\']The lead singer of both the Archies and the Cuff Links was Ron Dante. Andy Kim, Donna Marie, Toni Wine and Jeannie Thomas were the other singers. [/quote]
Andy Kim had a hit with "Baby, I Love You".

Can't say I recognize the other names.
--Mark
Phil 4:13