Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What would work best *Today*  (Read 12103 times)

petek66

What would work best *Today*
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2005, 11:30:23 PM »
The "buzzer show" is alive and well with Jeopardy! so
a new one might not be fresh enough to be a breakthrough hit.
I'd vote to revive the panel show, e.g. TTTT, in network prime
time. But with engaging celebrities, not stand-up comics trying
to advance their careers at the expense of the game.

Second choice: Password or Concentration because they've been
gone for so long and, in the case of the former, Betty White
is still around to give it a proper kickoff.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2005, 11:39:41 PM »
It's impossible to consider these remakes in the abstract, and I'll give you the perfect example. Card Sharks with the elder producers of Goodson-Todman at the helm is a totally different show from Card Sharks 2001 with the learned scholars of Fremantle at the helm. Whether (INSERT NAME OF SHOW) would "work" today is entirely dependent on who is mounting the show, and that goes for both the production company and the network or syndicator involved. This scenario has played out over and over again in recent years, not only with Card Sharks but with Match Game, To Tell the Truth, Pyramid, Let's Make A Deal, etc. Put morons in charge and a debacle is a foregone conclusion.

JMFabiano

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2005, 12:07:03 AM »
[quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'Apr 25 2005, 09:05 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Apr 25 2005, 05:40 PM\']9.   Dream House
[snapback]83263[/snapback]
[/quote]

This was brought back... isn't it called Extreme Makeover: Home Edition?
[snapback]83269[/snapback]
[/quote]

MakeOVER....MAKEover....MakeOVER....LOOOOOOOOOOOOOSER! doesn't have the same ring to it...

ObThisTopic: Given North America's track record since the mid '90s, only Spanish language companies like Televisa should be allowed to do game show revivals.  

Ob#2: There should probably be a moritorium on shows with guest stars, since very few mainstream ones have the class and/or intelligence the panelists/guests of game shows past had.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 12:16:52 AM by JMFabiano »
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Gromit

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2005, 03:27:00 AM »
Put me down for Match Game. If you could find two, three solid regulars like we used to have, it'd work today. It's the interaction between the celebs that makes it work, not the game itself.

Though I'd also make sure the game stayed out of the gutter.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2005, 03:29:38 AM »
I'm sorry; but I'm of the mindset that Match Game will not work today.  How do you push the evenlope; make things funny; without putting the game "in the gutter"?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

dmota104

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2005, 10:04:01 AM »
[quote name=\'dizzy\' date=\'Apr 25 2005, 06:45 PM\']What 70's/80's Game Show format do you think would be most successful if brought back TODAY.  Pick from these or offer your own suggestion.

1.   The Cross-wits
2.   Whew!
3.   Press Your Luck
4.   Scrabble
5.   Battlestars
6.   Pitfall
7.   Let's Make a Deal
8.   Sale Of The Century
9.   Dream House
10. Password
11. Match Game
12. Name That Tune
13. Tic Tac Dough
14. The Joker's Wild
15. To Tell The Truth

Dizzy
[snapback]83244[/snapback]
[/quote]

Out of the ones you listed, TTD would have the best shot.  It needs little retooling.

As to what little to retool...

\ Center box is worth $1000; others $500; makes for a possible and decent $5000 pot if all 9 boxes are captured by the players.

\ In case of a tie, pot carries over to the next game but the values of the boxes stay the same (something TTD90 probably should've done).

\ Hold off on any "red box" categories until about the 4th or 5th season.

\ Bonus game: Certainly up for debate -- but how about a flashback to $otC's winner's board?  Four pairs of prizes (including cash) plus one dragon.  Keep picking numbers until a match is made or the dragon is found.  The matched prize is replaced with a new prize.

Gromit

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2005, 12:06:25 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Apr 26 2005, 12:29 AM\']I'm sorry; but I'm of the mindset that Match Game will not work today.  How do you push the evenlope; make things funny; without putting the game "in the gutter"?
[snapback]83298[/snapback]
[/quote]

Is there no comedy on televison nowadays? Of course not. Humour doesn't have to be constantly in the toilet to be funny.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2005, 05:11:00 AM »
[quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Apr 27 2005, 09:06 PM\'][quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Apr 26 2005, 12:29 AM\']I'm sorry; but I'm of the mindset that Match Game will not work today.  How do you push the evenlope; make things funny; without putting the game "in the gutter"?
[/quote]

Is there no comedy on televison nowadays? Of course not. Humour doesn't have to be constantly in the toilet to be funny.
[snapback]83616[/snapback]
[/quote]
You're preaching to the choir. Tell that to the current crop of TV producers, willya? :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

calliaume

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2005, 07:35:49 AM »
[quote name=\'Game Show Man\' date=\'Apr 25 2005, 10:16 PM\'][quote name=\'geno57\' date=\'Apr 25 2005, 08:02 PM\']Gimme "Blockbusters"!

It was hugely popular in England, for many years, as a game for college students. I'd love to see it done that way on, say, MTV.
[snapback]83274[/snapback]
[/quote]

Frankly, I'd like to see BB back too, but MTV?!?!  The only way they'd put it on is if they had those repugnant Real World/Road Rules imbeciles playing.
[snapback]83275[/snapback]
[/quote]
"Welcome back to MTV Blockbusters!  Contestants, what B is an insect that buzzes and stings?"

{sound of crickets chirping}

"Dude, these questions are, like, way too hard."

Tony

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2005, 12:42:49 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Apr 25 2005, 10:39 PM\']It's impossible to consider these remakes in the abstract, and I'll give you the perfect example. Card Sharks with the elder producers of Goodson-Todman at the helm is a totally different show from Card Sharks 2001 with the learned scholars of Fremantle at the helm. Whether (INSERT NAME OF SHOW) would "work" today is entirely dependent on who is mounting the show, and that goes for both the production company and the network or syndicator involved. This scenario has played out over and over again in recent years, not only with Card Sharks but with Match Game, To Tell the Truth, Pyramid, Let's Make A Deal, etc. Put morons in charge and a debacle is a foregone conclusion.
[snapback]83282[/snapback]
[/quote]
Sorry for the late reply, but once again Moderator Chris has stated perfectly why I am highly pessimistic about the future viability of the genre (to the point that when WOF, J!, and TPIR finally end their runs, I believe there will never be another well-produced, enjoyable game show on the air again in my lifetime).  The industry of today looks down on game shows as a low form of television, plus the segment of the industry that might produce them has shifted near-completely to the so-called "reality" genre.  With so few game shows being produced, much less in the pipeline, there is almost no one to teach the next generation of TV producers on how to properly produce one. Given all this, and my own losing the love I once had for game shows, I can't help but believe that the game show may very well become extinct within two decades.

aaron sica

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2005, 12:58:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Game Show Man\' date=\'Apr 25 2005, 11:16 PM\']
Frankly, I'd like to see BB back too, but MTV?!?!  The only way they'd put it on is if they had those repugnant Real World/Road Rules imbeciles playing.

[snapback]83275[/snapback]
[/quote]

Host: "What M does this show air on?"
Contestant: "MSNBC?"

yeah........Train wreck waiting to happen. :)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2005, 01:29:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Apr 26 2005, 12:29 AM\']I'm sorry; but I'm of the mindset that Match Game will not work today.  How do you push the evenlope; make things funny; without putting the game "in the gutter"?
[/quote]

And I'm of the mindset you're wrong.  Any game can work if it's done right.  The 1990 version worked fine; the game can't be messed with to appeal to whoever.  As has been said, you can have comedy and humor without having overt vularity and so forth at every turn.

But "MTV Blockbusters"?  Whew...
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2005, 01:52:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Tony\' date=\'Apr 28 2005, 09:42 AM\']I am highly pessimistic about the future viability of the genre (to the point that when WOF, J!, and TPIR finally end their runs, I believe there will never be another well-produced, enjoyable game show on the air again in my lifetime).
[/quote]
You are, at most, 28 years old. If yer average, you have 50 years left. Broadcast television as a whole is barely 60, and the landscape of it has changed quite a few times in that period. You planning on dying anytime soon?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 01:54:17 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Tony

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2005, 04:17:24 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Apr 28 2005, 12:52 PM\']You are, at most, 28 years old. If yer average, you have 50 years left. Broadcast television as a whole is barely 60, and the landscape of it has changed quite a few times in that period. You planning on dying anytime soon?
[snapback]83666[/snapback]
[/quote]
While I don't plan on dying soon, I have a sneaking suspicion that I will die early (don't ask).
Besides, in that 60 years of television, when has any TV trend that was previously abandoned returned to stay for a good long time? (I mean longer than 2 or 3 years)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2005, 04:23:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Tony\' date=\'Apr 28 2005, 03:17 PM\']Besides, in that 60 years of television, when has any TV trend that was previously abandoned returned to stay for a good long time? (I mean longer than 2 or 3 years)
[/quote]
Gameshows seemed to disapate in the early 80s....but when Wheel went into syndication in '83; steam was built, running through about 1990.

I hope you don't make your living as a motivational speaker.
--Mark
Phil 4:13