Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Are broadcasters obliged to air credits?  (Read 7076 times)

tyshaun1

Are broadcasters obliged to air credits?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2005, 06:10:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Apr 23 2005, 08:23 AM\']Back during the days of network daytime games, it seemed like there was always one day a week (Fridays, mostly) where there was a long credit roll, those who were there might know if that was some sort of stipulation or just a courtesy.
[snapback]83005[/snapback]
[/quote]

IIRC, 5-a-week shows were once obligated to do a full credit roll at least once a week, similar to what you'd see a weekly show do every week. But call me wrong.

[Invision]*You're wrong!*[/Invision]

Tyshaun

Kevin Prather

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2005, 06:30:41 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Apr 23 2005, 01:51 AM\']When you're on the crew, yeah, it's nice to see your name. But it's far more important to get that check every two weeks that you can turn into a stack of green paper rectangles that the grocery store accepts in exchange for food.
[snapback]82991[/snapback]
[/quote]

You mean those green pieces of paper with the ugly men on them that we all took from our parents' wallets New Years morning and mailed to Soupy Sales in exchange for a postcard? ;-)

saussage

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2005, 07:42:03 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Apr 23 2005, 05:10 PM\']IIRC, 5-a-week shows were once obligated to do a full credit roll at least once a week, similar to what you'd see a weekly show do every week. But call me wrong.

[Invision]*You're wrong!*[/Invision]

Tyshaun
[snapback]83055[/snapback]
[/quote]
Regardless if you're right or wrong, it's nice to see healthy discussions about this issue. I guess I may have the one who put fuel on the fire when I went all out on my previous post (and if anyone doesn't want to see their end credits rolling on CS01, then throw the tapes in the fire as well). :)

I guess I'm just not used to all these alterations with credits and such. With what they used to do in the late 80's of having voiceovers of "what's coming up next" during the credit roll, it seems quite harmless to what networks are doing to credit rolls nowadays short of cutting them off completely.

Stay tuned for another episode of "as the mighty network dollar turns". <yahn>

Saussage
Don't think too hard... you might give yourself a headache.

Gromit

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2005, 01:43:22 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Apr 23 2005, 01:51 AM\']You know what credits are for? So a show times out right. No more, no less.
[snapback]82991[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ok, that makes good sense for first run shows.

Doesn't really address why a network like GSN continues to air the credits 30, 40, 50 years after the show is in the can, so to speak. Especially now in the days of speedups. Why spend money to speed up the show to gain extra time for more commercials, when you could have just cut the credits? Why split the screen, when you could just run your promo full screen?

Is there any show on any network in the history of broadcasting that's ever had it's credit sequence cut? Surely some shows ran long as well as coming up short occassionally. Surely somebody values the buck over the credits?

zachhoran

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2005, 09:03:39 AM »
[quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Apr 24 2005, 12:43 AM\']

Is there any show on any network in the history of broadcasting that's ever had it's credit sequence cut? Surely some shows ran long as well as coming up short occassionally. Surely somebody values the buck over the credits?
[snapback]83102[/snapback]
[/quote]

USA would cut in the middle of full credit rolls quite often on BUmper Stumpers as I recall.

rugrats1

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2005, 07:50:54 PM »
USA would cut in the middle of full credit rolls quite often on BUmper Stumpers as I recall.

Though this was after the Wink Martindale / Global / USA credits, which were placed near the top of the closing credits, instead of the bottom. As long as the companies are identified, they probably didn't care about the rest.

trainman

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2005, 11:40:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Apr 23 2005, 05:23 AM\']Or if somebody gets on the internet and tells you he or she worked on a show, credits validate their claim.
[/quote]

Cf. the pre-Internet-ubiquity episode of "The Simpsons" in which Bart becomes Krusty's assistant and attempts to show everyone his name in the credits, but they've been squeezed into unreadability for a Kent Brockman news promo.

Nelson: "That's for taking credit for other people's work!"
trainman is a man of trains

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2005, 03:27:12 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Apr 23 2005, 05:23 AM\']Or if somebody gets on the internet and tells you he or she worked on a show, credits validate their claim.
[/quote]
It's very easy to forge your identity, as Chris mentioned.
But hey--I'm actually Jim Caldwell...and as for my Red Box Syndrome.....
--Mark
Phil 4:13

SplitSecond

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2005, 06:49:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Apr 26 2005, 12:27 AM\']But hey--I'm actually Jim Caldwell...and as for my Red Box Syndrome.....
[/quote]
Try Vagisil.