Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 'Whammy!'  (Read 12108 times)

GPeefalt

'Whammy!'
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2005, 01:08:13 PM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' date=\'Apr 14 2005, 10:06 AM\']
The 'chicken' round IMO was a brilliant update to the game. It changes the game without changing its premise. Very cool idea and a great way to get the viewer pulled in right away. I never had problems with the double whammys. It was a gimmick, but the whammy itself is a gimmick so who cares?

The second season fixed just about EVERYTHING that was wrong with the first. The new board config, the board sounds, the BIG BANK...all great additions to the game. The only enduring flaw was the loud audience. They seemed to overpower the game many times. One of the great things about PYL was that 'hush' when the player was spinning.

[/quote]

The thing that got me disinterested in Whammy! was the over abundance of prizes on the board.  PYL was cash, cash, cash, whammies and a few prizes here and there.  On Whammy! half of the board contained prizes, and we would constantly be stopped waiting for the value of the prize that was hit.  I understand that it was due to budgetary issues, but I would have been happy with a scaling of the cash so that the board would be mostly cash.

cmjb13

'Whammy!'
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2005, 01:39:40 PM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' date=\'Apr 14 2005, 11:06 AM\']The second season fixed just about EVERYTHING that was wrong with the first.
[snapback]81874[/snapback]
[/quote]
You can't polish a turd.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

CJBojangles

'Whammy!'
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2005, 07:10:30 PM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' date=\'Apr 14 2005, 10:06 AM\']...On Whammy! half of the board contained prizes, and we would constantly be stopped waiting for the value of the prize that was hit.  I understand that it was due to budgetary issues, but I would have been happy with a scaling of the cash so that the board would be mostly cash.
[snapback]81888[/snapback]
[/quote]

Very true indeed. This fires up my opinion on the pacing of the game. WAY too slow. The pace picked up a little in Season 2, as did everything else, but in Season 1 especially the show CRAWLED compared to the original. One thing that always got on my nerves was the CONSTANT explanation of the game by Todd. Here's an example:

PYL
Peter: Stop at $1000; *applause* $2400 George, You're in 1st place. Press or pass?

Whammy!
Todd: Stop at designer handbags!! *coked-out audience screams maniacally* Those handbags are worth three thousand one hundred eighty-five dollars. That brings you up to five thousand four hundred fifty-seven dollars, Cindy! That's four thousand two hundred sixteen dollars less than Sally! You have two whammies and you are in second place currently. You have eight spins! If you pass your spins, they'll go to Sally. She'll have to take all eight of them. What would you like to do? Pass or press your luck? *screaming from audience*
Cindy: I'll press my luck. *cheers* BIG BANK! Stop!
(Lather, rinse, repeat.)

Don't even get me started on the Double Whammies. Cute at first, lost their luster after a week, and slowed the game down even more.

Another obvious part of the not-so-enthralling remake is the board configuation. Too many whammies, and not enough bucks. Also, something about the board made it harder to follow. Be it the fonts, the colors, the design, I don't know. But with the original even if you weren't a die-hard PYL fan, you had a pretty good idea of what was in each square. I never could really keep track on the new board during gameplay.

I really think that if viewers saw the original PYL, the amount they gave away in the mid-80s, that it would really ruin it for them in 2003. PYL was giving away at least $10K a show most days, and $20K on some days. One of the richest shows in its time. With (a PLETHORA of) prizes on the new version under $1000 in round 2, minimal cash prizes, Whammy! didn't come close. Contestants would more often than not walk out with more winnings in prizes than in cash they'd earned. With the lack of extra spins on the board, spin battles became a RARITY.

If GSN wanted huge ratings with this one, they should have hoped that none of their viewers saw the original. Even though it kinda defeats the purpose of "The All-New Press Your Luck".

Neumms

'Whammy!'
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2005, 01:09:46 AM »
Lyn Bolin, bless her heart, mentioned on the W of F "True Hollywood Story" that she wanted to make "Wheel" a big show. "Press Your Luck" was big. "Whammy" was a small-time cable show.

And there seems like no reason not to have brought back Tomarken (at least not that I've heard).

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
'Whammy!'
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2005, 01:41:44 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Apr 14 2005, 10:09 PM\']And there seems like no reason not to have brought back Tomarken (at least not that I've heard).
[/quote]
Tomarken wouldn't have fixed it.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

'Whammy!'
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2005, 03:54:35 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Apr 15 2005, 12:41 AM\']Tomarken wouldn't have fixed it.
[snapback]81984[/snapback]
[/quote]

You're right, there were too many other things wrong. But that's one they could have avoided.

Jimmy Owen

'Whammy!'
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2005, 04:11:21 PM »
This show was so flawed even Dan Enright wouldn't have fixed it.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

bclark71

'Whammy!'
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2005, 05:04:05 PM »
Beautifully written.

Press Your Luck, to me, embodies what the 80s are remembered for: Loud, Big & Flashy.  "Just give me plenty, forget about the quality," to quote a nearly-forgotten Styx tune.

Whereas Match Game propped up a pretty weak game with comedy, Press Your Luck propped up a pretty weak game with glitz, cash and FABULOUS PRIZES!  And the Whammy gimmick.

[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Apr 13 2005, 08:39 PM\']I never accept mediocrity. I might EXPECT it, but I never have to accept it.

99% of PYL was the set. Imagine a sparse, gray, "Quicksilver"-lookin' set, no lights in sight save for the lockouts, and three players sitting at a desk looking at a single monitor that is quickly flashing the money and prize slides in rapid succession. Tomarken's podium is next to it.

Same game. EXACTLY the same game. Wouldn't make it 13 weeks. I'm a PYL fan, and I'll be the first to admit that the amount of "game" in the PYL concept, while existing more than the haters might suggest, is pretty minimal. The concept, and the appeal, is in that big flashy set, the ginormous rotating contestant island, the bright gameboard. You can't apply the WWTBAM-filter to the PYL set and still have the concept work. That, to me, was the big problem with Whammy. Mostly the same game, but the producers thought the game was the thing, and in that case, it wasn't.
[snapback]81805[/snapback]
[/quote]

Sonic Whammy

'Whammy!'
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2005, 04:21:14 PM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' date=\'Apr 14 2005, 10:06 AM\']Was it as compelling as the original?...NO. How could it be? The original was a cult classic and I don't think it could ever have standed a chance at being the same again. Much of it was the era...the early 80's 'glitz' was just cool! TV is not like that now. As much as we like our classics, that's just not how TV works today. I think they did everything they could to create a modern version while still keeping the show as close to the original as possible.

Whammy's first season was a little rough for me. I enjoyed the show just cuz it was cool to see it back, but there were tweaks that it still needed. The board sound was barely audible and the audience was too loud. Todd was a bit loud too, but from what I've heard, it was genuine excitement not smarmy host stuff. I grew to enjoy him as host.

The 'chicken' round IMO was a brilliant update to the game. It changes the game without changing its premise. Very cool idea and a great way to get the viewer pulled in right away. I never had problems with the double whammys. It was a gimmick, but the whammy itself is a gimmick so who cares?

The second season fixed just about EVERYTHING that was wrong with the first. The new board config, the board sounds, the BIG BANK...all great additions to the game. The only enduring flaw was the loud audience. They seemed to overpower the game many times. One of the great things about PYL was that 'hush' when the player was spinning.

I think had Whammy! been given a longer run, we would have seen more tweaks and ultimately a better show.
[snapback]81874[/snapback]
[/quote]
I guess it's my turn now. As the still running NetPYL host (with a great new team in Wannagat and Brobeck), I'm obligated to speak.

Let's look at this all from several levels.

ITEM 1: THE NAME

For years & years to this day, when I ask someone if they remember Press Your Luck, the first thing I hear is either: "Oh, that was with those Whammy guys, right?" or "Big bucks, no Whammies!" Simply put, the name stuck out, so people remembered it first. Therefore, calling the show Whammy only made sense. But they still acknowledged the original name in the title, so it fits.

ITEM 2: TODD NEWTON

One day, Mandel, I want to see those pilots! It's the only thing we have left!

Let's face it, when we heard about the remake, we all wanted Tomarken back at the helm. His personality defined the show, and the rep he earned still carries with him years after. But I was not dissapointed with Todd AT ALL. Seeing his run on Hollywood Showdown, a lot of us agreed then that he had the funny improvisational personality we hadn't seen in a long time, and he kept the game moving like the pros of old, too. That combination was key to hosting PYL right, and Todd proved that he had it. Of today's hosts, it wouldn't have worked with anyone else (as Graham proved with his over-the-top style).

ITEM 3: THE GAME

When you think about it, not much was changed here. Round 1 was the big change, with the "chicken" element. There was actually an upside to that format, in that you could only have 1 Whammy, which prevented more games from ending early due to a lot of busts at the start of the game.

Probably the biggest thing that got me down was that the number of questions was reduced from 8 to 5 (not counting Big Bank). I had always thought of ways to INCREASE the # of questions if I had been in charge of a remake, but what can you do. The game's what we remembered, so they just put it in the forefront more.

(TO BE CONTINUED...)

(Ooo... makes this post kinda Larson-esque...)
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

Sonic Whammy

'Whammy!'
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2005, 04:23:54 PM »
PART 2 OF MY WHAMMY! REVIEW

ITEM 4: THE SET

Swivel contestant island wtih audience in back... CHECK

Host's podium with all question and prize value readouts... CHECK

Giant board with 18 squares... CHECK

All the elements were there, I don't know what the big deal was here. If you expected everything to look the same as it did 20 years ago, you're nuts. Technology jumped in with all the video monitors, which meant you could still read all the squares (once they got the font figured out). And the board finally got the randomizer that should have existed since the dawn of PYL. And the lights were not as Millionaire-esque as they're made out to be. For today's generation, the look worked.

At the same time, there IS the oval board. In the first season, it carried similarities to the old board, with the Big Bucks being right-center, but the screens were definitely spaced out too much. Season 2 made the board work for the oval with its tight, symmetrical format, and the Big Bucks dead center where it just seems to belong. And the oval format actually helped the randomizer light, too. When I play Yoder's PYL 3.1 now, it does look a little junky when the light stays in the same corner of the rectangle for a few bounces. In the oval, even when that happens, the curve of the board eases out that problem.

The only problem with the set overall was the mismatched proportions compared to the original. As Scott Hostetler pointed out to me two years ago, a bigger board on a smaller set meant the contestants couldn't look at the whole board at once, which was a bother for them, I'm sure.

ITEM #5: THE WHAMMY

I miss the cape. I still laugh impersonating Whammy's new voice. The animations were mostly good (I still don't get the photomat one). The doubles were cute, although I don't know if having them really mattered or not. Not much else to say here.

ITEM #6: THE PAYOUTS

Probably the biggest problems I have about the show among anything else.

Season 1 was a crime to me. I would perhaps put it in comparison with the first 3 months of PYL in that it was the most DIFFICULT board of all time! Only 7 chances to earn an extra spin - and one didn't even give you money! - and all those 3-digit prizes scattered about, that was an ugly combo.

Season 2 was a big improvement. Got 2 more extra spins up to make it more competitive, and the Big Bank was a very interesting twist that provided miracle comeback potential - and they didn't just hand it to you, either.

Overall, though, a couple of general up/downs here...

Too prize-heavy, especially in Season 1. PYL only had 7-9 prize squares, while Whammy had 16-19! And the cash was significantly reduced, with $2000/LOW being the highest thing, and only showing up ONCE. The cash got a little higher in Season 2, as did the prizes, but still would've liked the ratio to favor the cash more.

The Whammy count, with 11 (or 12 for a while) in Round 2 made it much harder to win big, too. Not a bad thing, but it sure didn't feel good some days, either. That also accounted for that anti-climatic feeling a lot of you had now and again.

FINAL WORDS:

Everyone here is right in saying that this wasn't the PYL we grew up with. But you're wrong to say that it had to look, play and feel 100% like the original in order to be remade. Hey, imagine how many people argued like that about Price Is Right in the early 70s...

As I said before, for today's generation, the game worked. And it can STILL work. Season 2 really figured it out, and while I'd still make the tweak or two I mentioned earlier, it provided me with all the same fun and excitement that the original did. And I'm not just saying that because I'm the Nethost. I mean this from the bottom of my heart.

OVERALL GRADE:

PRESS YOUR LUCK: A+
WHAMMY - SEASON 1: B
WHAMMY - SEASON 2: A-
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

itiparanoid13

'Whammy!'
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2005, 04:43:51 PM »
You were very quick to forget all the major flaws.  I never liked Todd Newton, but I gave him a chance.  He sucked at this show, plain and simple.  He was just about the only good thing in my eyes in Hollywood Showdown, but he just was bad on Whammy!.  The largest reason is that, especially in season 1, he shouted at absolutely everything.  He still did that in season 2, but not to the prior extent.

Yes, the set has the 3 main things, big deal.  Millionaire only needs a chair and a flash card with the question to have everything it needs, but that still doesn't make it complete.  They tried to add the Millionaire-esque lighting to a show where it does not fit.  Yes, it fits on Russian Roulette because it's a high tension show and it gives off the feel.  No, it does not fit on Whammy because all you do is press a buzzer and scream.  

Round 1 MIGHT have been better if it made any difference in the scores.  There were so many Whammies that it's inevitable that you're going to hit one.  If you don't, you are on the wrong show where luck is involved.  Not only that, but too many prizes and especially too many cheap prizes.  No wonder they gave away the $1000 in the start.  The only good thing they added was Big Bank, but that rarely made any game play changes because the contestants have the IQ of a carrot.  The new Whammies were OK, but the Double Whammies just pushed it.

Whammy didn't have a lot of things that were really wrong, they just didn't have a lot of things that were good, barely any.  Peter could not have saved this show.

roadgeek

'Whammy!'
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2005, 05:24:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Sonic Whammy\' date=\'Apr 16 2005, 03:23 PM\']But you're wrong to say that it had to look, play and feel 100% like the original in order to be remade.
[snapback]82157[/snapback]
[/quote]
Anyone up for a game of Second Chance? :)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2005, 05:24:42 PM by roadgeek »

urbanpreppie05

'Whammy!'
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2005, 05:37:24 PM »
I'm going to jump in on this one...and defend whammy-

Whammy and PYL are, for the most part LOUD shows. They aren't quiet like Jeopardy, nor ear-splitting like TPIR. BUT, PYL was a loud show, and so was Whammy.

As for Todd, he did FINE. Was he stiff as a board? No. Did he repeat the same thing ad nauseam? NO.  Did he act like he didn't want to be there? NO. There are three things that automatcially put him ahead of Richard Karn, Patrick Wayne, Pat Finn, and 83-85 era Richard Dawson.

The set: I'll say it before, and I'll say it again. Game show sets follow trends. Look at The 70's: Lots of earth tones, and chasing lights. The 80: Pink, Blues and Purples. The 90's: Primary Colors and Video Walls. And Marble. The 00's: Scaffolding, and darker colors. Whammy, IMHO was a good set. It followed the trend but didn't make it look too dark and imposing.

The 1st round Setup: I think this was a good change. And the strategy was to stop when you think you had enough money to get a lead in round 2. And people did do it- I wish more would have, but oh well.

The prizes:
PYL: Ran on CBS, a network with a lot of money...
Whammy: Ran on GSn, a network that just started turning a profit.

I don't understand why everyone expects a GSN original to give out tons and tons of cash. And don't say "russian roulette gives away 100K" because I'm sure if you added the totals of how much RR gave away in season 2 compared to Whammy season 2, whammy is probably higher.

Double Whammies: Didn't care either way. Could've kept or gotten rid of.

Sure Whammy had its problems: The horrible commercial timing, the sucky theme music, and that ghastly Giant whammy, all in all it was a respectable revival, and frankly, I think some of you are being just a bit too harsh on it because it didn't mimic the orginal PYL detail-for-detail.
insert signature here

MCArroyo1

'Whammy!'
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2005, 06:19:05 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Apr 16 2005, 05:37 PM\']Whammy and PYL are, for the most part LOUD shows. They aren't quiet like Jeopardy, nor ear-splitting like TPIR.
[snapback]82162[/snapback]
[/quote]
Bob Barker doesn't need to shout like crazy during TPIR, so I see no reason why Mr. Newton needed to.

As for following trends, I think that we here at GSF tend to give more praise (rightfully so) to the trend-setting shows rather than the followers.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2005, 06:20:42 PM by MCArroyo1 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
'Whammy!'
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2005, 06:44:01 PM »
All I'm gonna say further is that I find it both interesting and unsurprising where the line is falling on this particular issue.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe