Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Daytime Emmys  (Read 10206 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Daytime Emmys
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2005, 03:07:22 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Apr 18 2005, 11:29 AM\']Yes, but I prefer the monitor buried inside like the old one was.

I prefer this newer slimmer podium than the bulky one they had built about a year ago. (Search the forum here. I believe the pics are still valid)
[snapback]82351[/snapback]
[/quote]
I have to ask.

What's the difference?

(and by that I mean: why does it matter?)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

GS Warehouse

Daytime Emmys
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2005, 08:05:33 PM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' date=\'Apr 18 2005, 01:45 PM\'][Bart]'s just trying to put his own "pizzaz" into the program and show that he's not a carbon copy of his predecessors, however in this case it has backfired.
[snapback]82354[/snapback]
[/quote]
Maybe Bart'z pizzaz have too many anchoviez on them.  Maybe he zhould try thoze new cheezeburger pizzaz.

[ducks]

jmangin

Daytime Emmys
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2005, 08:32:50 AM »
If we were gonna worry about anyone's "pizzaz" with too many anchoviez, it'd be Phil's.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Daytime Emmys
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2005, 10:41:52 AM »
Matthew -

He didn't say he doesn't like the way the show looks, he said the syndicated version has less polish than the prime-time version, which is understandable given the constraints you've listed. Thank you for setting the record straight.

Directing Millionaire is a wonderful opportunity for you, but the question that lingers in my mind is, why isn't Mark Gentile directing the syndicated version?

zachhoran

Daytime Emmys
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2005, 11:12:10 AM »
[quote name=\'macohen\' date=\'Apr 19 2005, 09:26 AM\']

I usually don't respond to these posts, but this one was so inacurate, I had to.

I am the "ambitious young man" to which you refer.  About the only thing you got right is the fact that Mark Gentile is an experienced (and brilliant) director.  If you don't like the way the show looks, that's fine.  Let's get some facts straight though.

1. Primetime taped 1 show a day, 3-4 days a week.  Syndicated tapes 4 shows a day 3-4 days a week.  Not nearly as much production time per show.

2. Syndicated has 2 less cameras than primetime did, not to mention a much smaller staff and budget.

3.  Primetime was shot is pieces.  Whenever a contestent lost or walked away,  they stopped, reset and did a pickup which was later edited together.  Syndicated is done completely live to tape, only stopping for commercial breaks

You get the idea.  When you criticize someones work, it is important to know the situation that they were in.  The 2 shows are completely different , and it is unfair to compare the 2.
[snapback]82456[/snapback]
[/quote]

Welcome to our board Matt C. You direct the show as best you can given the constraints you describe. Thanks for the insight on the show. It doesn't look that much different to me than the primetime show did/does. Congratulations on getting that coveted gig. Good luck at the Emmys next month.

SplitSecond

Daytime Emmys
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2005, 12:26:15 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Apr 19 2005, 07:41 AM\']He didn't say he doesn't like the way the show looks, he said the syndicated version has less polish than the prime-time version, which is understandable given the constraints you've listed.
[/quote]
What he said.  

I'm sorry if me mentioning your work in the same post as trashing the direction on Price looked like I was trashing your work - I was not.

Let me clarify by saying that where I find Mark's direction on the primetime show superior to yours is not in the use of extra cameras or stopdowns - it's in the timing.  Millionaire, more than any other modern game show, is directed like a talk show.  Your timing in cutting the more talk show-y moments is definitely good.  Mark's was great.

That's not a knock on your talent at all, but a tribute to Mark's.  It may also have a lot to do with him having the more-seasoned Regis and you having Meredith, who might not be as easy of a read for you as Regis, but is still a great host in her own right.  More years and more shows under your belt, and it's very likely you'll have developed timing instincts as good as Mark's -- maybe better.  And hey, you've got all the time in the world to do it.

It does say a lot about your passion for your job that you take the time to defend criticism from an anonymous person on the internet.  However, I hope you realize you were defending a far harsher criticism than the one I actually intended to give. :)

Good luck at the Emmys.

jmangin

Daytime Emmys
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2005, 01:24:22 PM »
Look at it this way...you're a hell of a lot better than Bart!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Daytime Emmys
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2005, 03:05:01 PM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' date=\'Apr 19 2005, 07:32 AM\']If we were gonna worry about anyone's "pizzaz" with too many anchoviez, it'd be Phil's.
[snapback]82449[/snapback]
[/quote]
I thought something smelled fishy.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

uncamark

Daytime Emmys
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2005, 04:46:40 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Apr 19 2005, 09:41 AM\']Matthew -

He didn't say he doesn't like the way the show looks, he said the syndicated version has less polish than the prime-time version, which is understandable given the constraints you've listed. Thank you for setting the record straight.

Directing Millionaire is a wonderful opportunity for you, but the question that lingers in my mind is, why isn't Mark Gentile directing the syndicated version?
[snapback]82459[/snapback]
[/quote]

Perhaps he didn't want to give up "The View," if that was the choice--although if Meredith can go right from "The View" to "WWTBAM" four days a week, four months a year...

ChuckNet

Daytime Emmys
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2005, 09:31:46 PM »
I thought something smelled fishy.

That line really floundered. :-D

Chuck Donegan (The Pun-Loving "Chuckie Baby")