Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Daytime Emmys  (Read 10208 times)

tvrandywest

Daytime Emmys
« on: April 13, 2005, 01:03:39 PM »
I'll be the voice of the Daytime Craft Emmy Awards again this year in L.A.. That's the non-broadcast event on May 14th; the one where there's more booze! The broadcast event is 6 days later on May 20th from Radio City Music Hall. I'm starting to get the details and, as I haven't seen a list anywhere else, I thought I'd share the info on all the game show nominees. I'm looking forward to congratulating some of the TPiR family who are up for the statue this year, as well as Gary Johnson from Jeopardy! One of the nicest in the biz.

SFX: Tymp roll
Announcer: "And the nominees are..."

Outstanding Game/Audience
Participation Show

JEOPARDY! * SYN
HARRY FRIEDMAN, EXECUTIVE PRODUCER
LISA FINNERAN, SENIOR PRODUCER
ROCKY SCHMIDT, SENIOR PRODUCER
GARY JOHNSON, SENIOR PRODUCER

THE PRICE IS RIGHT * CBS
BOB BARKER, EXECUTIVE PRODUCER
ROGER DOBKOWITZ, PRODUCER

WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE *
SYN
MICHAEL DAVIES, EXECUTIVE PRODUCER
PAUL SMITH, EXECUTIVE PRODUCER
LEIGH HAMPTON, EXECUTIVE PRODUCER
VINCENT A. RUBINO, CO-EXECUTIVE PRODUCER
DEIRDRE COSSMAN, PRODUCER
RICHARD SIROP, PRODUCER
DENNIS F. MCMAHON, PRODUCER

Outstanding Game Show Host

JEOPARDY! * SYN
ALEX TREBEK, HOST

THE PRICE IS RIGHT * CBS
BOB BARKER, HOST

WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE * SYN
MEREDITH VIEIRA, HOST

Outstanding Directing In A Game/Audience Participation Show

JEOPARDY! * SYN
KEVIN MCCARTHY, DIRECTOR

MATTHEW COHEN, DIRECTOR

Outstanding Achievement in Live & Direct To Tape Sound Mixing

THE PRICE IS RIGHT * CBS
DIRK SCIARROTTA, PRODUCTION MIXER
MARYANN JORGENSON, PRODUCTION MIXER
DENISE PALM STONES, SOUND EFFECTS MIXER
JACK BELLER, RE-RECORDING MIXER

Technical Direction/Electronic Camera/VideoControl

JEOPARDY! * SYN
JOHN PRITCHETT, TECHNICAL DIRECTOR
ROBERT ENNIS, JR., TECHNICAL DIRECTOR
MIKE TRIBBLE, ELECTRONIC CAMERA
RAY REYNOLDS, ELECTRONIC CAMERA
DIANE FARRELL, ELECTRONIC CAMERA
JEFF SCHUSTER, ELECTRONIC CAMERA
MARC HUNTER, ELECTRONIC CAMERA
L. DAVID IRETE, ELECTRONIC CAMERA
ROSS ELLIOTT, VIDEO CONTROL

MANSE SHARP, TECHNICAL DIRECTOR
JIM TUFARO, ELECTRONIC CAMERA
ERIC KENDRA, ELECTRONIC CAMERA
KEITH CONOD, ELECTRONIC CAMERA
BILL AKERLUND, ELECTRONIC CAMERA
FRANCIS J. BOURASSA, JR., ELECTRONIC CAMERA
BRUCE NOVICH, ELECTRONIC CAMERA
RON WASHBURN, ELECTRONIC CAMERA
MIKE CUNNINGHAM, ELECTRONIC CAMERA
JAMES J. MILLER, ELECTRONIC CAMERA
YONEET COMMARE, VIDEO CONTROL

Outstanding Special Class Writing
JEOPARDY! * SYN
STEVEN DORFMAN, WRITER
JOHN DUARTE, WRITER
KATHY EASTERLING, WRITER
HARRY FRIEDMAN, WRITER
DEBBIE GRIFFIN, WRITER
SUZANNE JACK, WRITER
GARY JOHNSON, WRITER
JIM RHINE, WRITER
MICHELE SILVERMAN, WRITER
STEVE D. TAMERIUS, WRITER
BILLY WISSE, WRITER
MARK GABERMAN, WRITER
ANDREW SHEPARD PRICE, WRITER

Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction/Set Decoration/Scenic Design
THE PRICE IS RIGHT * CBS
BENTE CHRISTENSEN, ART DIRECTOR
RICHARD DOMABYL, SET DECORATOR
ELIZABETH FOWLER BEACH, SET DECORATOR

Outstanding Achievement in Costume Design/Styling
THE PRICE IS RIGHT * CBS
ROBIN GURNEY, COSTUME STYLIST

Outstanding Achievement in Hairstyling
THE PRICE IS RIGHT * CBS
MIRA WILDER, HAIRSTYLIST

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 01:50:15 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

uncamark

Daytime Emmys
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 03:48:23 PM »
I usually do this every year, but this year I did it within an existing thread rather than kick off a thread as I normally do.  But it's good to have it all in one place.

It would be particularly nice to see Steve Dorfman get a final recognition to add to the ones he's received in the past.

I still wish that "H2" and "Pyramid" had taken advantage of the eligibility year beginning while they were still airing first-run shows and submitting entries just to get one last bit of satisfaction.  I would've love to have heard Bergeron's speech if he had been nominated and if he won.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Daytime Emmys
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 04:32:48 PM »
Where's Bart?

sshuffield70

Daytime Emmys
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 10:14:15 PM »
Don't have a cow, man! ;)

jmangin

Daytime Emmys
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 09:04:52 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Apr 13 2005, 04:32 PM\']Where's Bart?
[snapback]81770[/snapback]
[/quote]

Bart's direction has pretty much stunk for the past few years, especially this year.  Have you noticed that switching between shots has been especially choppy lately?  Sometimes we don't even get the price reveal of a game in the shot (Grand Game is one that I've definitely noticed), and Master Key has frequently been screwed up with him trying to get a shot of the contestant while missing the "WIN" sign as it reveals.

Plus, who can forget the Plinko sign debacle?  He canned it because they weren't able to get the contestant's reaction?  Bull plop.  Why don't we just stop having cars behind the doors and Rich can come up behind the contestant and scream in their ear what they're about to win, just to see the contestant's reaction.

He's just a bad director and doesn't even deserve to be nominated, let alone win an Emmy.

zachhoran

Daytime Emmys
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 09:12:36 AM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' date=\'Apr 14 2005, 08:04 AM\']

Eskander's just a bad director and doesn't even deserve to be nominated, let alone win an Emmy.
[snapback]81865[/snapback]
[/quote]

Bart is someone who worked under both Breslow and Alter, two of the all-time greats, no less.

Would those of you in the business consider Kevin McCarthy or Matthew Cohen any better, however?

Steve Gavazzi

Daytime Emmys
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 12:53:39 PM »
Zach, working under Breslow and Alter doesn't change the fact that Eskander isn't all that great.

SplitSecond

Daytime Emmys
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 03:51:16 PM »
Bart Eskander is the worst kind of director out there - the clock-puncher.  You'll find plenty of these types of directors in local news.

Bart is simply there to get the show on tape with the least required amount of brainpower and inconvenience on his part.  He has simply taken the book that Marc Breslow created (and Paul Alter refined) and followed it very lazily.  The end result is a show that is, at best, nowhere near as visually interesting as it used to be, and at worst, usually sloppy.

Jeopardy! is tough to judge because it is exceedingly rare that the show deviates from format drastically enough to require quick thinking on the director's part.  The only offensive thing I find about that show's direction is the use of a handheld camera on Alex during contestant interviews.

Millionaire's story is similar to Price's, in that an experienced director has created the book for the show and handed it off to an inexperienced director.  The main difference is that Millionaire hired an ambitious young man from their production staff to replace Mark Gentile, rather than just promoting the grumpy old AD like Price did.  Matthew Cohen's direction is not nearly as polished as Mark Gentile's, but I suspect it's just because of a lack of experience, rather than a lack of ambition or passion for the show he's directing.

uncamark

Daytime Emmys
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2005, 04:12:38 PM »
Also, Kevin McCarthy, like Bart, was the old AD (presumably less grumpt) promoted to director.  The only other game show he's done work on is "Click," where he surprisingly, considering what kind of show it was, kept it rather traditional in set-ups and seemed to keep up with a frenetic format.

Another reason why "H2" should've gone ahead and submitted nominations--you can never give Chris Darley too much recognition.

BigJon06

Daytime Emmys
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 05:27:09 PM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' date=\'Apr 14 2005, 08:04 AM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Apr 13 2005, 04:32 PM\']Where's Bart?
[/quote]

Bart's direction has pretty much stunk for the past few years, especially this year.  Have you noticed that switching between shots has been especially choppy lately?  Sometimes we don't even get the price reveal of a game in the shot (Grand Game is one that I've definitely noticed), and Master Key has frequently been screwed up with him trying to get a shot of the contestant while missing the "WIN" sign as it reveals.

Plus, who can forget the Plinko sign debacle?  He canned it because they weren't able to get the contestant's reaction?  Bull plop.  Why don't we just stop having cars behind the doors and Rich can come up behind the contestant and scream in their ear what they're about to win, just to see the contestant's reaction.

He's just a bad director and doesn't even deserve to be nominated, let alone win an Emmy.
[/quote]

Can't get the CONTESTANT'S REACTION...??

PUT ME ON THE FREAKING CAMERA CREW!!

What's so hard about doing this?
SEE THIS PICTURE - http://bigjonpcgames.net/downloads/plink.jpg
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 05:27:34 PM by BigJon06 »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Daytime Emmys
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2005, 06:34:55 PM »
All game show directing falls into a rut eventually -- Millionaire, Jeopardy!, WML?, Password, Concentration, you name it. The Price Is Right is an exception in that it happens to have an odd combination of ever-varying staging and photographic requirements and, at the moment, an incompetent (IMHO) director.

The true test of a game show director is how well he can mount a new show. Inasmuch as the rate of studio game show pilots being produced has dwindled to roughly zero, the likes of Bart will probably never be put to this test. I shudder to think what it would have been like if Bart had to direct the pilots of MG or FF in the '70s.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 06:41:30 PM by chris319 »

MYosua

Daytime Emmys
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2005, 06:39:20 PM »
[quote name=\'BigJon06\' date=\'Apr 14 2005, 04:27 PM\']Can't get the CONTESTANT'S REACTION...??

[snapback]81926[/snapback]
[/quote]
It seems to me that they would probably say that it would be hard to keep the contestant in the circle if they were jumping up and down or running around... etc.  That's supposedly one of the reasons the wheel-spinning screen was retired, right?  It would be a difficult shot to do well live, though of course not impossible.

BrandonFG

Daytime Emmys
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2005, 06:55:12 PM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' date=\'Apr 14 2005, 08:04 AM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Apr 13 2005, 04:32 PM\']Where's Bart?
[/quote]
[/quote]

And to me, that's a dumb reason. What's the difference between getting the contestant's reaction to a car behind the doors and seeing some plywood sign reading $50,000? To be honest, the contestant reactions to Plinko isn't half as apeshit as how they react to one of those fugly Chevy Aveos. True, when they see the car, the reaction shot is a couple seconds longer, but if they really want a reaction, is it really that much trouble to say "You're going to play Plinko! (:02  reaction from contestant and audience, then go to shot of the Plinko sign) where you have the chance to win up to $50,000!" Will the :02 really kill them?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SplitSecond

Daytime Emmys
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2005, 06:57:24 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Apr 14 2005, 03:34 PM\']The true test of a game show director is how well he can mount a new show.
[/quote]
Bart has trouble blocking new pricing games properly, let alone an entirely new show.

BigJon06

Daytime Emmys
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2005, 07:08:58 AM »
[quote name=\'MYosua\' date=\'Apr 14 2005, 05:39 PM\'][quote name=\'BigJon06\' date=\'Apr 14 2005, 04:27 PM\']Can't get the CONTESTANT'S REACTION...??

[snapback]81926[/snapback]
[/quote]
It seems to me that they would probably say that it would be hard to keep the contestant in the circle if they were jumping up and down or running around... etc.  That's supposedly one of the reasons the wheel-spinning screen was retired, right?  It would be a difficult shot to do well live, though of course not impossible.
[snapback]81931[/snapback]
[/quote]

I believe its a skill, you can simply zoom out and plus a great cameraman should be able to "predict" the subjects movement and be ready to make the appropriate zooms if neccessary