Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Network Graphics, Scrolls, and Distractions  (Read 20834 times)

Mario500

Network Graphics, Scrolls, and Distractions
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2005, 11:12:59 AM »
Folks, when I typed out "Network Graphics, Scrolls, and Distractions", I figured it would actually spark some debate over the on screen graphics seen on the Game Show Network and almost every other station. Unfortunately it appears nobody is taking my writing style seriously, yet this forum topic has managed to reach 14 replies now. We cannot let the stations or even the Federal Communications Commission (see "E/I" logo recently added to certain programs) get away with these distracting, unnecessary, and deliberate ways of getting their messages out.

Game Show Network may be realizing its past mistakes now, but the issue with the graphics (all 3 tickers, the promotional banners during programming, etc.)  must not be ignored or else they all win and viewers still lose.

aaron sica

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2005, 11:18:38 AM »
[quote name=\'Mario500\' date=\'Apr 9 2005, 11:12 AM\']Unfortunately it appears nobody is taking my writing style seriously,

[/quote]

It's very hard to take it seriously when we can't understand what's written.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2005, 11:29:03 AM »
[quote name=\'Mario500\' date=\'Apr 9 2005, 10:12 AM\']Unfortunately it appears nobody is taking my writing style seriously,
[snapback]81160[/snapback]
[/quote]

Gee, ya think?

You know we're making fun of your argument...and yet you're still presenting the argument.  Something is not getting through here.

dzinkin

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2005, 11:44:54 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Apr 9 2005, 11:29 AM\'][quote name=\'Mario500\' date=\'Apr 9 2005, 10:12 AM\']Unfortunately it appears nobody is taking my writing style seriously,
[/quote]

Gee, ya think?

You know we're making fun of your argument...and yet you're still presenting the argument.  Something is not getting through here.
[snapback]81169[/snapback]
[/quote]
You are talking to someone who still believes that we were wrong to leave ATGS, and that we could somehow get the miscreants to leave that group if we would only "unite together."

'Nuff said?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 11:45:27 AM by dzinkin »

Mario500

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2005, 12:08:43 PM »
The original post has been re-edited for clarity, plus I must inform some that my crusade to save the Alt.TV.Game-Shows Usenet group ended many months ago after realizing that everyone else has moved on to something better.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2005, 12:13:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Mario500\' date=\'Apr 9 2005, 11:12 AM\']Unfortunately it appears nobody is taking my writing style seriously, yet this forum topic has managed to reach 14 replies now.[/quote]
It's difficult to take someone seriously when they tout that they were the 5,000,003th person to visit a web site.  Never mind that that number has absolutely no importance, but 5,000,003th?

ObGS:  Hollywood Squares was played in the 2th half of The Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour.

Tim L

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2005, 01:55:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Mario500\' date=\'Apr 9 2005, 11:08 AM\']The original post has been re-edited for clarity, plus I must inform some that my crusade to save the Alt.TV.Game-Shows Usenet group ended many months ago after realizing that everyone else has moved on to something better.
[snapback]81177[/snapback]
[/quote]

"My Crusade?"..Not exactly like you were on a religious mission.."Banding Together" was tried at ATGS-The problem was no way to control the idiots..at some point..We were going to move somewhere whether Matt and Chris took the lead or not..talk about naieve..

aaron sica

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2005, 02:14:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Mario500\' date=\'Apr 9 2005, 11:12 AM\']We cannot let the stations or even the Federal Communications Commission (see "E/I" logo recently added to certain programs) get away with these distracting, unnecessary, and deliberate ways of getting their messages out.

Game Show Network may be realizing its past mistakes now, but the issue with the graphics (all 3 tickers, the promotional banners during programming, etc.)  must not be ignored or else they all win and viewers still lose.
[/quote]

It's all a conspiracy! You are right! We have to stop those aliens from manning the control booths!!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2005, 02:50:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Mario500\' date=\'Apr 9 2005, 09:08 AM\']The original post has been re-edited for clarity,
[/quote]
You failed.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

melman1

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2005, 03:42:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Mario500\' date=\'Apr 9 2005, 08:12 AM\']Unfortunately it appears nobody is taking my writing style seriously,[/quote]
By jove, I think he's got it.

Do they still rant on like that on GSN's boards?  I hate credit crunches, I hate credit crunches... blah, blah, blah.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 03:45:16 PM by melman1 »
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

aaron sica

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2005, 03:56:04 PM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' date=\'Apr 9 2005, 03:42 PM\']
Do they still rant on like that on GSN's boards?  I hate credit crunches, I hate credit crunches... blah, blah, blah.
[snapback]81198[/snapback]
[/quote]

Are you kidding? That's about 90% of their traffic over there. :)

BrandonFG

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2005, 05:21:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Mario500\' date=\'Apr 9 2005, 10:12 AM\']Unfortunately it appears nobody is taking my writing style seriously, yet this forum topic has managed to reach 14 replies now.[/quote]

OK...I wonder if it's because you're saying stuff like:

We cannot let the stations or even the Federal Communications Commission (see "E/I" logo recently added to certain programs) get away with these distracting, unnecessary, and deliberate ways of getting their messages out.

Or remember the time when you said,
Game Show Network may be realizing its past mistakes now, but the issue with the graphics (all 3 tickers, the promotional banners during programming, etc.)  must not be ignored or else they all win and viewers still lose.

That's prolly why nobody is taking you seriously. You're talking about GSN as if it's Dr. Claw or something. If they don't get rid of the pop-ups, then they win and we lose? Hell, I thought we won when they brought back some classic shows. Do I like squeezed credits and all? Not really, but if I'm getting some classic GSN, then I think I can manage. Now, do you want me to order you an ice cream pony, or will you be content?

Oh, and BTW, the E/I logo is not recent. TV show's have been using that since at least '97 or so, prolly simultaneous with TV ratings (Jan. 1997).
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Mario500

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2005, 05:26:38 PM »
As someone who reads messages at the Game Show Network boards everyday, there is barely no discussion on the network's graphics aside from the so-called "credit crunches" or should I say shrunken credits. Unlike many posters there, I'm trying to start a discussion on the issue of screen graphics that ruin our viewing experience, plus it's a VHS archivist's worst nightmare.

A True Story:

During Game Show Network's last "Feast of Favorites", I taped both airings of "The Joker's Wild" and unfortunately Game Show Network had the will to ruin the program for less than 10 seconds (with Jack Barry's introduction and welcome) with a ticker (or "scroll") that squeezes the picture.

End of True Story

Folks, we must not let this topic be all about my previous "crusade" or my style of writing, we must strengthen issue of distracting TV graphics that both television and the Federal Communications Commission are currently forcing upon the public.

By the way, the E/I logo is no longer something that is on screen temporarily, it's now required to remain on screen during much of a program's length. That was the recent logo I was referring to earlier.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 05:39:02 PM by Mario500 »

aaron sica

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2005, 05:34:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Mario500\' date=\'Apr 9 2005, 05:26 PM\']
Folks, we must not let this topic be all about my previous "crusade" or my style of writing, we must strengthen issue of distracting TV graphics that both television and the Federal Communications Commission are currently forcing upon the public.
[snapback]81207[/snapback]
[/quote]

I don't see how the FCC is "forcing" anything. Are they tying you to your chair, holding your head to the TV and saying "Look!!! LOOK!! LOOK!!!!!"? No. You can change the channel. Or not watch TV at all!

Going outside to sniff the roses is raw and uncensored, I hear.

FeudDude

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2005, 05:40:40 PM »
Okay, I'll bite.

First of all, what does the FCC have to do with GSN and other networks' decisions to run on-screen promo bugs during shows?

Also, why do you expect GSN to care about "VHS archivists"?  Let's face it, the vast majority of people don't care enough about these graphics to even metnion them im passing, let alone attempt to rally people together to stop such practices.  Some might see these on-screen graphics as a minor distraction or annoyance, but they don't see it as that big a deal.  

And truth be told, I like the "coming up" bugs - I think it's a good way to let people know what's going to be on next.  Plus, in some cases, they give information about the specific episode that will be shown (for example, the bug previewing this morning's Eubanks CS mentioned the 10 mail-order brides in the audience).