Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Monitors or game boards?  (Read 17207 times)

BrandonFG

Monitors or game boards?
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2005, 12:02:37 AM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Apr 12 2005, 10:27 PM\'][quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Apr 12 2005, 08:40 AM\']Oh, you don't have the new Craig Karlberg Calendar Expansion Pack.  It has extra months for certain ethnic groups. :-)
[snapback]81590[/snapback]
[/quote]
Lousy Smarch weather!
[snapback]81676[/snapback]
[/quote]

Is Cotillsday on this new calendar? I don't wanna miss the new episode of Dateline.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

ChuckNet

Monitors or game boards?
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2005, 12:19:08 AM »
To me, a car on-set just adds a certain flair to the show. If I know the show offers a car and they just show stock footage (B&E shows/80s Pyramid), somehow the set feels "empty." Although in the case of stock footage, the car was just an occasional incentive, and not something offered every single show.

I agree...having the car on-set is just a nice cosmetic touch, and really added to the excitement on shows like Face the Music, Whammy!, etc. when a contestant was lucky enough to win it.

And don't get me started on the H-Q method of showing a MODEL of the car being offered, as was the case on Gambit, Hot Seat, etc.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

ChuckNet

Monitors or game boards?
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2005, 12:22:00 AM »
Is Cotillsday on this new calendar? I don't wanna miss the new episode of Dateline.

But what if it's on opposite Gumbel 2 Gumbel? :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Family-Guy-Referencing "Chuckie Baby")

Matt Ottinger

Monitors or game boards?
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2005, 10:16:55 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Apr 12 2005, 11:01 PM\'][quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Apr 12 2005, 09:59 PM\']
On the Eagles' album, "Desperado", what is the name of the song that immediately follows "Desperado"?[/quote]
Certain Kind of Fool.[/quote]
That's just wonderfully elegant on so many levels.  Nicely done, Split.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

cmjb13

Monitors or game boards?
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2005, 11:24:44 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Apr 13 2005, 12:19 AM\']I agree...having the car on-set is just a nice cosmetic touch, and really added to the excitement on shows like Whammy!, etc.
[snapback]81683[/snapback]
[/quote]
Really?

I think you could have added strippers to that show and it wouldn't have made it more interesting.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Steve Gavazzi

Monitors or game boards?
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2005, 01:34:03 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Apr 12 2005, 10:01 PM\'][quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Apr 12 2005, 09:59 PM\']
On the Eagles' album, "Desperado", what is the name of the song that immediately follows "Desperado"?
[snapback]81672[/snapback]
[/quote]

Certain Kind of Fool.
[snapback]81674[/snapback]
[/quote]

There's a Line of the Day in here somewhere...I'm just not sure who to give it to. ;-)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Monitors or game boards?
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2005, 01:45:17 PM »
"SplitSecond," for the best set-up ever.
Travis L. Eberle

aaron sica

Monitors or game boards?
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2005, 01:49:18 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Apr 13 2005, 01:45 PM\']"SplitSecond," for the best set-up ever.
[snapback]81743[/snapback]
[/quote]

All we need now is Whoserman to slide in with his spiffy Line of the Day graphics. :)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Monitors or game boards?
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2005, 02:55:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Desperado\' date=\'Apr 12 2005, 07:40 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Apr 12 2005, 05:48 PM\']He challenged you to find a post where HE HIMSELF asked the pertinent question.
[snapback]81645[/snapback]
[/quote]
No, he didn't.  Now you're just plain lying.  Why don't you turn off the computer for 5 minutes and go get some fresh air?  Get some blood circulating through those rusty brain cells.
[snapback]81671[/snapback]
[/quote]
Fine, I made a mistake, mea culpa.

Yer still a pinhead.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Fedya

Monitors or game boards?
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2005, 10:41:01 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Apr 13 2005, 12:45 PM\']"SplitSecond," for the best set-up ever.
[snapback]81743[/snapback]
[/quote]
But didn't the Classic Concentration set have more cars?

(I suppose it depends on whether you consider the Justy a car....)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Robert Hutchinson

Monitors or game boards?
« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2005, 04:41:49 PM »
I asked to find a post where I myself was discussing it--not necessarily asking it, no. I'm so glad to see what I hoped was a level-headed follow-up have some effect on the tone of the conversation, though.

Classic Concentration had the neon palm trees owned.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

tvrandywest

Monitors or game boards?
« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2005, 05:47:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Apr 14 2005, 12:41 PM\']Classic Concentration had the neon palm trees owned.
[snapback]81920[/snapback]
[/quote]
I smiled ear-to-ear a couple of years ago when I was rumaging through NBC's scenic storage warehouse adjacent to Stage 9 (Supermarket Sweep). There, in all it's beauty (and with a fair amount of dust) was one of those neon palms! I wonder if they'll ever find another use for it/them. It would sure look nice in Bob Boden's backyard!!

Oh... game boards. Mechanical, clunking, rusty, noisy, mechanical boards and reveals for everything! And don't forget, lot's of grafitti on the back.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 05:50:11 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

CoreyArcher

• Pick a corner
Monitors or game boards?
« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2005, 03:13:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Apr 6 2005, 09:49 PM\']I have a different question about the Rafferty Blockbusters gameboard: Why are they using the same configurations they used during the Cullen era? 

I can understand that with the projection, they probably had to create entire boards to be projected, and so couldn't move the letters around.  But with computerization, there's no such limitation.  Yet in the few Rafferty episodes I've taped this week, I've already seen the board with NULA down the left column, one with DRWF that I recognized from the Cullen days, and one that has most of the letters in EOTVGS in the top left corner.
[snapback]80820[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hey, I noticed this, too ... "LARVE" going in a V shape from left to right jumped out at me as it did so many times on the Cullen version. Only reason I can imagine for doing this is to evoke the familiarity of the original. But how many people besides freaks like us would notice?

- ca -

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Monitors or game boards?
« Reply #88 on: April 18, 2005, 12:18:59 AM »
[quote name=\'CoreyArcher\' date=\'Apr 17 2005, 11:13 AM\'][quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Apr 6 2005, 09:49 PM\']I have a different question about the Rafferty Blockbusters gameboard: Why are they using the same configurations they used during the Cullen era? 

I can understand that with the projection, they probably had to create entire boards to be projected, and so couldn't move the letters around.  But with computerization, there's no such limitation.  Yet in the few Rafferty episodes I've taped this week, I've already seen the board with NULA down the left column, one with DRWF that I recognized from the Cullen days, and one that has most of the letters in EOTVGS in the top left corner.
[snapback]80820[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hey, I noticed this, too ... "LARVE" going in a V shape from left to right jumped out at me as it did so many times on the Cullen version. Only reason I can imagine for doing this is to evoke the familiarity of the original. But how many people besides freaks like us would notice?

- ca -
[snapback]82255[/snapback]
[/quote]
Next time take a healthy dose of lysergic acid diethylamide before watching Blockbusters and tell us if you see giant ants wearing paisley vests swarming over the board. And sitar music.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 12:20:55 AM by chris319 »