Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Well Known Shows...  (Read 4417 times)

BrandonFG

Well Known Shows...
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2005, 05:41:53 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' date=\'Apr 5 2005, 12:34 PM\']The book in question is Syndicated Television: The First Forty Years, 1947-1987 by Hal Erickson.  I think the only thing right from the entry in the book for Card Sharks is the punctuation:

[font=\"Times\"]Card Sharks (1982; 1986).  Jonathan M. Goodsom, scion of a famous game-producing family, created this game show for CBS daytime in 1978, wherein contestants tried to guess if a card was of higher or lower value than the card preceding it.  The 1982 syndie version, a Mark Goodson/Firestone release, was hosted by Jim Perry and retained the network format.  The 1986 non-network revival, hosted by Bill Rafferty and distributed by Lormiar-Telepictures, added the "Family Feud" angle of allowing contestants to play the card game only after correctly determining how a group of 100 people would answer specific questions.[/font]
[snapback]80612[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's the one...thanks! :-)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 05:43:51 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

ChuckNet

Well Known Shows...
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2005, 08:27:42 PM »
Hal seemed to have a general disdain for game shows in that book. On the BTB 85 entry he mentioned the "gloriously named Joe Farago" as if the show was a farrago (which perhaps it was in retrospect.)

I could discern an anti-GS bias in Erickson's writings, myself:

- A section on 70s entries in the genre is preceded by the warning "If you think PTAR (the Prime Time Access Rule) fostered diversity, skip this section...the game shows will only depress you."
- He sarcastically remarks that producing early 70s syndie entries like nighttime HS and LMaD, all based on daytime network shows, was "so original".
- He claims the most exciting thing that happened in Bullseye's run was an ep where the board malfunctioned and spun out of control.

Pity our guy Hal didn't do another update during the trash-talk era of the mid-90s...he would've had a field day, LOL.

And many of Erickson's writings in other areas were not updated for future editions...for ex, an entry on the Old Time Gospel Hour claims that, following a 1976 interview in which Rev. Jerry Falwell was overly critical of then-Pres. Jimmy Carter, he basically stayed out of politics...wouldn't those who missed the book in an earlier publishing have appreciated some details about the formation of the Moral Majority and its rise to power in the early 80s?

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 08:28:39 PM by ChuckNet »

JMFabiano

Well Known Shows...
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2005, 01:34:19 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Apr 5 2005, 07:27 PM\']- He claims the most exciting thing that happened in Bullseye's run was an ep where the board malfunctioned and spun out of control.[/quote]

So did this really happen?  

Back on the topic of Erickson, didn't he also have a similar encyclopedia for cartoon series?  If so, then another infamous "strike" in a ballgame full of them would be when he discussed The Raccoons, and misidentified Cyril Sneer as a "pink wolf."
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.