Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A question I'd like to ask...  (Read 4409 times)

whewfan

A question I'd like to ask...
« on: April 03, 2005, 06:11:03 PM »
I know there are some Trading Spaces fans on this forum, and those that are fans know that TLC is making a drastic change to the tried and true Trading Spaces format... for the 6th season... there will be NO HOST. That's right, Paige Davis is gone. From the looks of it, the homeowners, designers and carpenter will be carrying the show. My first thought... TLC is in for a train wreck, and is making a BIG mistake messing with a show that put TLC on the map. It's unclear if Paige had decided to leave, and TLC decided not to audition new talent, or if TLC just decided out of the blue to change the format.

Which leads me to think... could a game show be done WITHOUT A HOST?! If so, HOW?!

The only show I could think of that didn't have an onstage host was "100%", with Casey Kasem reading the questions.

dzinkin

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 07:07:03 PM »
Does the 1985-86 season of Tic Tac Dough count?  It might have done better if Jim Caldwell had been replaced with a continuous tape loop playing "red box" over and over. :-)

melman1

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 09:30:36 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Apr 3 2005, 03:11 PM\']TLC is in for a train wreck, and is making a BIG mistake messing with a show that put TLC on the map. [/quote]
Trading Spaces is still on?  Haven't watched it in over a year.  I mean, there are only so many ways to destroy a room.  And the host was probably the most annoying part of it, so good riddance I say.  However, I think the shark's been jumped long ago on this one.
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 09:49:28 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Apr 3 2005, 06:11 PM\']It's unclear if Paige had decided to leave, and TLC decided not to audition new talent, or if TLC just decided out of the blue to change the format.[/quote]
There's a difference between it's unclear and I don't know.  News reports have made it pretty clear that it was TLC's decision, but that Paige isn't too terribly worked up over it.

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazett...ng/11149196.htm
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

whewfan

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2005, 10:21:11 PM »
At the risk of veering away from game shows, I guess the "host-less" format was inevitable. TLC has made gradual changes to the show over the years, with specials that increased the budget to $100,000, and changing the music cues in Paige's final season as well as adding a budget increase of the homeowners chose the "bonus room", and that the room to be redecorated was chosen by the neighbors, not the homeowners (this is not to say that the two teams didn't get together and express which room they really wanted done)

Paige may have been too perky for some, but to me, that perkiness was very genuine. She was just having a great time. To me, Trading Spaces without a host is like soup without a spoon. At least it looks as if Trading Spaces Family will remain intact with host Joe Farrell.  

Now, back to game shows. I was thinking, TTTT may work without a host. If you think about it, all the host really did was read the affadavit and then tell the panelist when it was his or her turn... this isn't to say he's not important to the show, but the format really belonged to the panel, and as long as you had the heavyweights like Cullen, Karlisle, and Orson Bean, they could carry the show very well without a host.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2005, 11:26:16 PM »
You have to have a host.  It's not possible to have a game show without a host, he's the glue that holds things together.

Does anyone remember when "Donahue" taped a number of shows without Phil being there?  He would do wraparounds, but the audience would ask the questions of the guests. with unseen staffers holding the microphones.  As I recall, it didn't sit well with stations.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

aaron sica

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2005, 11:31:06 PM »
The NFL also did an announcer-less game back in December of 1980. Can't have a game show without host, TV sports without announcers.....

ObGameShow: Dick Enberg hosted "Baffle", among other shows.

Passepartout

• Happy Halloween 2021
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2005, 11:33:23 PM »
The host Paige Davis was annoying and sorry if I offended you fans of the show. Wonder what it will be like hostless!! Now let's get back to game shows if you all don't mind!!
2021 Happy Halloween

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2005, 11:49:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Passepartout\' date=\'Apr 3 2005, 10:33 PM\']Now let's get back to game shows if you all don't mind!!
[snapback]80345[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes, let's all talk about Geoff Edwards.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

GS Warehouse

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2005, 12:09:38 AM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Apr 3 2005, 09:21 PM\']Now, back to game shows. I was thinking, TTTT may work without a host ... the format really belonged to the panel, and as long as you had the heavyweights like Cullen, Karlisle, and Orson Bean, they could carry the show very well without a host.
[snapback]80341[/snapback]
[/quote]
On second thought, if you had someone like Paula Poundstone on the panel, you have to have someone to direct traffic.

This is no reflection on the job Alex Trebek is doing, but what would J! look like without a host?  Whatever clues don't use video clips, let Johnny Gilbert read like he does in the PSX* game.  Or WoF without a host?  Feud without a host?  Maybe not, but it does make this post on-topic. ;-)

* PSX = PlayStation 1

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2005, 12:09:48 AM »
[quote name=\'Passepartout\' date=\'Apr 3 2005, 08:33 PM\']Now let's get back to game shows if you all don't mind!!
[/quote]
Let's let the moderators do the moderating, shall we?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2005, 12:57:55 AM »
[quote name=\'Passepartout\' date=\'Apr 3 2005, 10:33 PM\']annoying I will be
[/quote]
You have successfully accomplished this.  Has Geoff Edwards taken you to court for stalking yet?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 12:58:18 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

dzinkin

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2005, 01:07:39 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Apr 4 2005, 12:57 AM\'][quote name=\'Passepartout\' date=\'Apr 3 2005, 10:33 PM\']annoying I will be
[/quote]
You have successfully accomplished this.  Has Geoff Edwards taken you to court for stalking yet?
[snapback]80355[/snapback]
[/quote]
Y'know, Mark, while some of Shelby's posts may have been, er, quotable, that doesn't give you license to MAKE UP QUOTES out of whole cloth.

tvwxman

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2005, 06:38:36 AM »
[quote name=\'Passepartout\' date=\'Apr 3 2005, 10:33 PM\']The host Paige Davis was annoying and sorry if I offended you fans of the show. Wonder what it will be like hostless!! Now let's get back to game shows if you all don't mind!!
[/quote]

Well, if ever there was an expert on annoying people, we've found it.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Ian Wallis

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2005, 08:39:57 AM »
The NFL also did an announcer-less game back in December of 1980. Can't have a game show without host, TV sports without announcers.....

One of the good things about having a C-band satellite dish is picking up "wild feeds".  Although they're not as plentiful as they once were, I've seen a few other football and hockey games on a wild feed with just the crowd noise and no announcers.  I've also seen feeds with announcers and heard what they actually said during commercial breaks!

ObGameShows:  "Wheel", "Jeopardy" and "Millionaire" still feed their shows in advance on C-band.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!