Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MGPM tonight  (Read 3984 times)

melman1

MGPM tonight
« on: July 31, 2003, 09:39:43 PM »
This episode is from the fall of 1980... Allen Ludden's last appearance since he suffered a stroke in late October (Edwin Newman announced this in his news segment on one of the last episodes of \"The David Letterman Show\" which went off the air at that time).

The episode guide at matchgame.org says that GSN does not show the daily syndie shows from this week, so the PM show is all that remains.

Johnny O. introduced Allen \"from Password Plus\".  Didn't P+ replace Letterman?
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
MGPM tonight
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2003, 09:48:16 PM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' date=\'Jul 31 2003, 06:39 PM\'] Didn't P+ replace Letterman? [/quote]
 No, P+ started in 1979, I believe. Wasn't it the other way around?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

melman1

MGPM tonight
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2003, 09:52:19 PM »
Now that I think about it, Las Vegas Gambit and Card Sharks replaced Letterman - he made fun of this all through their last week.

The Letterman show was 90 minutes at first, later cut back to 60.  And P+ aired for quite a while after Ludden died, with Tom Kennedy hosting IIRC.

zachhoran

MGPM tonight
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2003, 09:53:07 PM »
On 10/27/80, Letterman was replaced by Blockbusters and Las Vegas Gambit when cancelled. 30 of Letterman's 90 minutes had been replaced by the soap Texas two months earlier(Another World was lowered from 90 to 60 minutes at that time). P+ had nearly two years on the air at that point, premiering on 1/8/79. 10/27/80 was also the day on which Tom Kennedy took over the P+ reins from the ailing Ludden. The MGPM episode with Ludden and White from 1980 was taped while Ludden was still doing P+.

melman1

MGPM tonight
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2003, 10:15:52 PM »
Very sad to watch this MG knowing what was to come very soon after, and also knowing that Allen and Betty knew the condition he was in.  They both hid it very well, being the professionals they are/were.

melman1

MGPM tonight
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2003, 10:21:04 PM »
Also - I saved an article on the history of Password that came from http://tvgameshows.5u.com/password.htm .  But this site no longer seems to exist.  Anybody know what happened to it?

curtking

MGPM tonight
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2003, 11:26:33 PM »
I don't know where the original is, but the Web Archive still has a few versions of the page:

Web Archive

Curt

Timsterino

MGPM tonight
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2003, 07:33:45 AM »
I caught this on the 12:30am airing. Thank you for the heads up!  I have to say that anytime Allen Ludden or Bill Cullen were panelists on any show, it made me smile. They were IMHO the greatest.

Tim :-)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2003, 07:34:04 AM by Timsterino »

Ian Wallis

MGPM tonight
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2003, 09:40:40 AM »
P+ had nearly two years on the air at that point, premiering on 1/8/79

-----

\"Password Plus\" did premiere on January 8, 1979, along with Bob Eubanks' \"All-Star Secrets\".  They both replaced a show called \"America Alive\", an hour-long attempt at a live talk show.  On the January 5, 1979 \"Card Sharks\", Bob appeared promoting the debut of \"All-Star Secrets\".  This show has been run by GSN and is in many game show collections.

\"Password Plus\" was reportedly going to be called \"Password '79\", but the title was changed just before the first taping.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Matt Ottinger

MGPM tonight
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2003, 10:21:09 AM »
Also - I saved an article on the history of Password that came from http://tvgameshows.5u.com/password.htm . But this site no longer seems to exist. Anybody know what happened to it?
That article was written by Steve Beverly, and it was a part of Steve's website back when it was more of a general fan site.  Since then, he's changed providers at least a couple of times, and he hasn't made recovering all that past data a priority.  Ironically, many of the links on his page (including the one for Allen Ludden) are dead links to his own former providers.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.