Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC's Brucie bonus?...  (Read 3515 times)

uncamark

ABC's Brucie bonus?...
« on: March 23, 2005, 04:31:29 PM »
The BBC reports that ABC has bought the U.S. rights to granted-not-a-game-show-but-a-competition "Strictly Come Dancing" and that the Beeb's in-house production unit will do the American version.  The article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/t...dio/4375311.stm

For our purposes, the show's noteworthy as another big hit for the ageless Bruce Forsyth, the host.  Something tells me that he won't be asked to do the American version, but if "Super Millionaire" is not going to happen again, there's one obvious choice--Regis.  Ballroom dancing's in his milleu and he'd be great schmoozing with the celeb contestants.

For more info about the show (a 100% civilian competition in its original heyday in the 60s and 70s), here's the Beeb's web site.  It includes clips from the original show.

Once again, not a game show per se, but a lot better sight than another prank show or another carbon of "The Bachelor."

Don Howard

ABC's Brucie bonus?...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 04:36:13 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Mar 23 2005, 04:31 PM\']The BBC reports that ABC has bought the U.S. rights to granted-not-a-game-show-but-a-competition "Strictly Come Dancing" and that the Beeb's in-house production unit will do the American version.
[snapback]79163[/snapback]
[/quote]
I tell you, ABC has bought the rights to so many shows that seemed to be of interest and they never see air. So I'll get excited when we not only get a FIRM GO but it actually does get shown.

ChuckNet

ABC's Brucie bonus?...
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 06:08:46 PM »
I tell you, ABC has bought the rights to so many shows that seemed to be of interest and they never see air.

Deal or No Deal, anyone? (Too bad...it's an exciting game, but I guess the closest we'll come to seeing it here is via the new DoND slot machine I posted a review of last month).

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Brig Bother

ABC's Brucie bonus?...
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 07:46:25 PM »
It was also a hit in Australia, where it went under the title "Dancing With the Stars".

A civilian version of Strictly Come Dancing, Strictly Dance Fever (not Come Dancing, funnily enough) is meant to be starting over here shortly.

StevensM

ABC's Brucie bonus?...
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 07:56:17 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Mar 23 2005, 04:31 PM\']The BBC reports that ABC has bought the U.S. rights to granted-not-a-game-show-but-a-competition "Strictly Come Dancing" and that the Beeb's in-house production unit will do the American version.

Something tells me [Bruce Forsyth] that he won't be asked to do the American version, but if "Super Millionaire" is not going to happen again, there's one obvious choice--Regis.  Ballroom dancing's in his milleu and he'd be great schmoozing with the celeb contestants.
[snapback]79163[/snapback]
[/quote]

An interview with Michael Davies at tvgameshows.net stated rather clearly that Super Millionaire would be back on the air at some point at the future.

Regardless, I don't think Super Millionaire specials would preclude Regis from being allowed to host Strictly Come Dancing.  The question is whether BBC would want to hire him.

inturnaround

ABC's Brucie bonus?...
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005, 07:57:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' date=\'Mar 23 2005, 07:46 PM\']A civilian version of Strictly Come Dancing, Strictly Dance Fever (not Come Dancing, funnily enough) is meant to be starting over here shortly.
[snapback]79184[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes, Graham Norton (who I always thought would make a wonderful host for a game show) is hosting the Beeb version.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 07:58:18 PM by inturnaround »
Joe Coughlin     
Human

JMFabiano

ABC's Brucie bonus?...
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 08:15:30 PM »
I was about to make a snide remark about us stealing the UK's ideas (and just in time, with The Office coming tomorrow...I wonder if this one will pass four episodes?!!?)   But Millionaire has been fine, so maybe I should not be so down when it comes to game shows/competitions?
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Craig Karlberg

ABC's Brucie bonus?...
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 05:40:08 AM »
Boy ABC sure knows where to go to pick up stuff, from jolly old England.  And IIRC, dkdn't thay try to acquire The People Vs. a few years ago?  Last I heard, it wasn't even being considered as a concept idea per se.  Oh well, shows from the UK either a) do well like Millionaire or b) never see the light of day here in the US like The People Va,

Brig Bother

ABC's Brucie bonus?...
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005, 11:46:38 AM »
Yes. Basically we're your entire formats industry at the moment. You'll just have to be better, won't you :)