Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: To be a Good Emcee...  (Read 3630 times)

TheInquisitiveOne

To be a Good Emcee...
« on: July 29, 2003, 07:54:30 PM »
Hello to all my friends!

At the old board, I asked for advice about how to be a good game show emcee. I had some excellent feedback, especially from those who frequent hosts on a regular basis, our good man Randy West. I really appreciate it. I will use that when I begin my second batch of game shows at my university this fall.

However, there are some things that baffle me. I understand the saying \"to each his own,\" however some of you say things about hosts that I either overlook or I honestly do not see. I here such adjectives as \"stiff,\" \"dry,\" and others of their ilk.

How do you guys detect such a thing, and how can it affect your enjoyment of the show?

All feedback is appreciated!

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

PeterMarshallFan

To be a Good Emcee...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2003, 08:16:28 PM »
IMO, an emcee must be casual and have fun with the game. A \"stiff\" host is one that presents no personality or charm [yet it sometimes works, read Barry, Jack] A good example of a good emcee is Gene Rayburn. Watch MG7x and you'll notice he does not take the game very seriously, jokes around with the contestants and stars, and generally appears to be having a good time.

Kevin Prather

To be a Good Emcee...
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2003, 09:10:37 PM »
some good game shows, like Alex Trebek, can be kinda stiff, but still joke around when the time is right. Alex Trebek is overall very serious, but IMO is a master with the one-liner. As is Anne Robinson.

Bob Barker may be the best GS host ever, because he does take the game seriously, but doesn't obsess over keeping things on track. He takes the time to interact with the contestants, and he is more than willing to joke around should the situation arise.

PeterMarshallFan

To be a Good Emcee...
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2003, 09:29:16 PM »
Addedum to whoserman's post:

The host's personality has to fit the show. A stiffer host works in straight quizzes and more casual hosts work in sillier shows. Mixing and matching often has disasterous results; witness Rayburn's Break the Bank.