Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 'Its Card Sharks'  (Read 12712 times)

The Pyramids

'Its Card Sharks'
« on: February 24, 2005, 06:44:43 PM »
I only have one worn-looking episode of this in the collection so I will defintely be recording over it in the  spring on GSN.

However I have to ask: What is so special about the sydicated 'Card Sharks' with Bill Raferty? I have seen many, many posts asking for it in the past.

I imagine there are a lot of 'Card Shark' fans out there, so this brief, little known version has an auroa about it, plus its share of childhood memories.

I guess it is similar to  how 'Feud' diehards like me always hope to watch the relatlvely little seen return of  Richard Dawson in the Nineties again.

Am I right?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 06:45:54 PM by PaulD »

aaron sica

'Its Card Sharks'
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 06:49:26 PM »
At least for me, the specialness is because of the short time that GSN ran it on its schedule. And since the G-T shows started airing again from April 1998-on, with the notable exception of the 2001 failure, it's the only version of CS that has not aired on GSN.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
'Its Card Sharks'
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 06:51:56 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Feb 24 2005, 04:44 PM\']However I have to ask: What is so special about the sydicated 'Card Sharks' with Bill Raferty? I have seen many, many posts asking for it in the past.
[/quote]
I don't think it ran in a lot of markets. I know it was very sporadic in the San Francisco market. Ergo, a game show that we didn't see much when it was FIRST run, never MIND on GSN, makes for a popular item.

(For me, I like Card Sharks, but I think Eubanks is a grinning idiot. So to see the new Card Sharks with a competent host at the helm is refreshing.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

'Its Card Sharks'
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 06:58:52 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Feb 24 2005, 06:44 PM\']I only have one worn-looking episode of this in the collection so I will defintely be recording over it in the  spring on GSN.

However I have to ask: What is so special about the sydicated 'Card Sharks' with Bill Raferty? I have seen many, many posts asking for it in the past.

I imagine there are a lot of 'Card Shark' fans out there, so this brief, little known version has an auroa about it, plus its share of childhood memories.
[snapback]76079[/snapback]
[/quote]

Besides what Aaron and Chris said, I personally haven't seen this version in 18 years, and I was only 4 or so when it went off the air, so I'd love to catch up and see how Rafferty did. I guess you could call it part-curiosity, part-remininscing. :-)

For the record, I had just as much fun when I caught the Eubanks version a few yrs, ago as well. ;-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

zachhoran

'Its Card Sharks'
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 07:20:02 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Feb 24 2005, 06:44 PM\']

[snapback]76079[/snapback]
[/quote]

They had prize cards in the maingame for most of the run. Cards would appear in the player's maingame decks denoting cash or a prize. A contestant who won the match would win the prizes on whatever cards were turned over.

They started the car portion of the endgame a few weeks before Eubanks did, and the cars were a bit higher-end than the cars on Eubanks CS. Originally the car offered was a Cadillac, which when a player won one, they were forced to retire from the show. Soon after, the car became a sports car usually.

gameshowguy2000

'Its Card Sharks'
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 07:48:11 PM »
So, does this mean the Perry and Eubanks versions are gonna stay, or are they gonna go?

tvwxman

'Its Card Sharks'
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2005, 07:53:50 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 24 2005, 06:51 PM\']
(For me, I like Card Sharks, but I think Eubanks is a grinning idiot. So to see the new Card Sharks with a competent host at the helm is refreshing.)
[snapback]76081[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'm not sure this will satisfy that requirement. But, nevertheless, enjoy!
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

aaron sica

'Its Card Sharks'
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2005, 08:01:19 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Feb 24 2005, 07:48 PM\']So, does this mean the Perry and Eubanks versions are gonna stay, or are they gonna go?
[snapback]76092[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hard to say - we don't know what the weekend schedule looks like.

FeudDude

'Its Card Sharks'
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2005, 08:08:10 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Feb 24 2005, 07:48 PM\']So, does this mean the Perry and Eubanks versions are gonna stay, or are they gonna go?
[snapback]76092[/snapback]
[/quote]

Most likely, they will remain in their current weekend slots.

Anyway I'm really looking forward to this as well, not only because I've never seen the Rafferty version before, but also because it will simply be good to have Card Sharks on weekday afternoons.

davemackey

'Its Card Sharks'
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2005, 08:14:41 PM »
You guys are in for a treat. I was around to see the syndicated CS on Channel 7 in New York, and Rafferty was a bit of a loose cannon as a game show host, if you remember him from his days hosting "Blockbusters". He definitely brought a different edge to this version of the show. If you're of the mind that Eubanks is a little on the schmaltzy side, you will love the vinegar that Rafferty brings to the proceedings.

Lacey and Suzanna were there as well and both were gorgeous as ever.

BTW, the Ahmed thing was a Jeremy Soria reference to wrestler Ahmed Johnson, whom Jeremy thought Rafferty resembled.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 08:16:48 PM by davemackey »

zachhoran

'Its Card Sharks'
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2005, 08:34:53 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Feb 24 2005, 08:14 PM\']You guys are in for a treat. I was around to see the syndicated CS on Channel 7 in New York, and Rafferty was a bit of a loose cannon as a game show host, if you remember him from his days hosting "Blockbusters". He definitely brought a different edge to this version of the show. If you're of the mind that Eubanks is a little on the schmaltzy side, you will love the vinegar that Rafferty brings to the proceedings.

[snapback]76100[/snapback]
[/quote]

I've not seen any shows beyond the end of December 1986, as WPVI ditched Rafferty CS in its 4:30PM time slot to give Oprah her current 4-5PM WPVI time slot at that point(previous season J! reruns moved to 11AM). WABC moved Rafferty CS to the wonderful 4:30AM time slot as of 1/5/87.

The Pyramids

'Its Card Sharks'
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2005, 09:45:01 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 24 2005, 08:34 PM\'][quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Feb 24 2005, 08:14 PM\']You guys are in for a treat. I was around to see the syndicated CS on Channel 7 in New York, and Rafferty was a bit of a loose cannon as a game show host, if you remember him from his days hosting "Blockbusters". He definitely brought a different edge to this version of the show. If you're of the mind that Eubanks is a little on the schmaltzy side, you will love the vinegar that Rafferty brings to the proceedings.

[/quote]

I've not seen any shows beyond the end of December 1986, as WPVI ditched Rafferty CS in its 4:30PM time slot to give Oprah her current 4-5PM WPVI time slot at that point(previous season J! reruns moved to 11AM). WABC moved Rafferty CS to the wonderful 4:30AM time slot as of 1/5/87.
[snapback]76102[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think this story is very telling about where game shows would be going in comming years.

Matt Ottinger

'Its Card Sharks'
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2005, 09:52:45 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Feb 24 2005, 08:53 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 24 2005, 06:51 PM\'](For me, I like Card Sharks, but I think Eubanks is a grinning idiot. So to see the new Card Sharks with a competent host at the helm is refreshing.)[/quote]I'm not sure this will satisfy that requirement. But, nevertheless, enjoy![/quote]
I always had a fondness for Rafferty as a host.  To me, he was the Jim Peck of the eighties.  Not very flashy, but efficient and workmanlike, and witty enough when he needed to be.  One of my favorite shows that it seems we never talk about is Every Second Counts, a game that really needed a talented host, especially for a bonus round that lived up to the title.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

The Ol' Guy

'Its Card Sharks'
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2005, 10:30:34 PM »
I'll join you in that. Bill made Every Second Count come across a lot better than it would have with a less witty host. That show should have had at least another year. He also made up for the less attractive format of the revived Blockbusters. If Rafferty's Card Sharks surfaces, let me know. I'd love to have a copy - I have been curious as to whether or not Rafferty and Card Sharks was a mis-match..you guys make it sound pretty good.

dzinkin

'Its Card Sharks'
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2005, 10:31:04 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Feb 24 2005, 08:14 PM\']BTW, the Ahmed thing was a Jeremy Soria reference to wrestler Ahmed Johnson, whom Jeremy thought Rafferty resembled.
[/quote]
You're kidding, right?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 10:31:58 PM by dzinkin »