Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mini-commercials vs. Announcer Fee Plugs  (Read 4207 times)

Mike Tennant

Mini-commercials vs. Announcer Fee Plugs
« on: July 29, 2003, 11:59:01 AM »
Since the subject of \"mini-commercials\" replacing announcer-read fee plugs was raised in the thread about game show prizes, I thought I'd open up another thread on the subject.

Question:  Who here hates the mini-commercials?

I remember when they first started appearing.  They were particularly jarring then because so often (a) they were bad hack jobs of existing commercials and (b) they were often interspersed, none too smoothly, with announcer copy.

Still, even today I think a good announcer reading over a still photo (or even video) of a product could be at least as effective as--and easier to take than--a rushed \"real\" commercial.

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2003, 12:16:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'Jul 29 2003, 10:59 AM\']
Question:  Who here hates the mini-commercials?

I remember when they first started appearing.  They were particularly jarring then because so often (a) they were bad hack jobs of existing commercials and (b) they were often interspersed, none too smoothly, with announcer copy.

Still, even today I think a good announcer reading over a still photo (or even video) of a product could be at least as effective as--and easier to take than--a rushed \"real\" commercial.[/quote]
The mini-commercials, although they might mean more $$$ for the production company, take something away from the show...I always liked being able to hear a catchy theme song played out over a smooth announcing voice. I think some of it might be the fact that more and more announcers are doing the job in post, and the mini-commercials are easier to do, considering the announcer has to fit their copy in roughly :45, while trying to keep a screaming audience going. Of course, there ARE 2 solutions:

1) have the audience simply not clap, like syndie Wheel did up to the mid-90s

2) have the announcer pre-record the fee plug copy, then simply insert it, as the theme plays.

I brought this thread up at the other board, and it got some good responses. I think Randy West provided the best explanation.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

uncamark

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2003, 12:19:08 PM »
Still, even today I think a good announcer reading over a still photo (or even video) of a product could be at least as effective as--and easier to take than--a rushed \"real\" commercial.

In the end, though, the company that's placing the product for a fee plug has the ultimate say--and with mini-spots they have control over every one of the eight seconds they have, without having to worry about announcers blowing pronunciations and mangling the copy (and even the best do it occasionally) and their message is not competing with theme songs and canned applause on the soundtrack.  Even for the occasional still picture fee plug (Conair and University Games being the most recent I can think of) still has a recorded V/O that the agency can review and does not have music or applause playing in the background.

When it's just the prize or a discount on the prize, the supplier can take what they get.  When it's their own actual cash money in the mix, I don't really blame them for wanting control over their message, even if it's annoying to the viewer.  But hey, you *do* know that it's now Meineke Car Care Centers, not Meineke Mufflers--or do you reach for the remote when you hear \"Closed-captioning sponsored in part by...\"?

Brakus

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2003, 04:36:07 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jul 29 2003, 11:19 AM\'] But hey, you *do* know that it's now Meineke Car Care Centers, not Meineke Mufflers--or do you reach for the remote when you hear "Closed-captioning sponsored in part by..."? [/quote]
 Speaking for myself only, I know the commercial break has started whenever I hear something to the effect of \"Promotional Consideration Paid For By The Following\" (tm Lord Alfred Hayes) or \"Closed captioning made possible by\"  at the end of a segment, and I reach for the remote when I hear that. Of course, if it's at the beginning of a segment, such as the very beginning of the Showcase Showdowns on TPiR every day, I always know to add about 15-20 more seconds to my time away from CBS before I tune back in again.

Too bad other viewers aren't smart enough to do that. And besides, who said you had to stay tuned during the commercial breaks anyway?

- J
"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. THAT is the secret of life." -- Iskandar, King of Conquerors (Fate/Zero, Fate/GO)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2003, 04:59:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Brakus\' date=\'Jul 29 2003, 03:36 PM\'] Too bad other viewers aren't smart enough to do that. And besides, who said you had to stay tuned during the commercial breaks anyway? [/quote]
 Some of us who do voiceovers would kinda appreciate it if you did.  :)

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2003, 09:02:55 PM »
I admit that I do get bugged when the mini-commercial is something that could just as easily have been done with the show's announcer. The specific example I'm thinking of was that \"Fruit2O\" drink that was recently plugged in episodes of Wheel and Jeopardy! (where, strangely, it was listed in the credits as \"Fruit 20\"). There was a static shot of the product on a plain white background (just like you used to see), no music, and a female voice read about six seconds' worth of copy. Then nothing would happen for about three seconds. Three seconds of silence. I'm not sure if that's what the advertiser wanted, but every time I saw it, I could imagine so many viewers starting to channel surf in the \"extended\" silent break.

Even though I have no reason to purchase it, if I did, I would buy Thera-Gesic simply because it's the only sponsor I've seen in a long time that lets its plug be read by Charlie O at the end of Wheel while the theme plays. Ah, the good old days...

Scott Robinson