Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hollywood Squares review in EW  (Read 5660 times)

Matt Ottinger

Hollywood Squares review in EW
« on: July 27, 2003, 08:31:25 PM »
In the current issue of Entertainment Weekly (the one with the stunningly beautiful Kate Bosworth on the cover) there's a lengthy review of Hollywood Squares in the TV section, covering both the current show and the classic reruns on GSN.

It's a wildly mixed review.  On the one hand, it makes fun of the kitsch and the \"fake\" stars, and appears to take pity on Tom Bergeron for the sad path his career has taken.  On the other hand, it recognizes the humor and the \"outrageously surreal magic\" that both versions can provide, and recommends them as an alternative to the summer's reality glut.

Ultimately, both versions get good grades from the reviewer:  B+ for the classic shows and a too-cute \"B squared\" for the new version.  The reviewer specifically singled out Martin Mull as the show's best source of laughs and also had nice things to say about Ellen DeGeneres and Brad Garrett.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Don Howard

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2003, 09:13:19 PM »
I've been a Tom Bergeron fan ever since his days with Laurie Hibberd
on Breakfast Time before fX turned into the NYPD Blue/M*A*S*H
channel. I was thrilled he got that H2 gig and he's done stellar work.
Absolutely not a sad path for him. Of course, that's my unobjective
die hard game show fan opinion.
If, as is seemingly hauntingly likely, H2 goes bye-bye after the upcoming
season, wouldn't it be a hoot seeing him as host of an updated and
infinitely improved Match Game? I say infinitely improved because
how could it be worse than the 1998 model?
I hear you at home. \"see Sharks, Card\"
I'd like to think the company's learned its lesson from those disasters.
Too bad he didn't get Gumbel's job at CBS.

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2003, 09:35:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jul 27 2003, 08:13 PM\'] I've been a Tom Bergeron fan ever since his days with Laurie Hibberd
on Breakfast Time before fX turned into the NYPD Blue/M*A*S*H
If, as is seemingly hauntingly likely, H2 goes bye-bye after the upcoming
season, wouldn't it be a hoot seeing him as host of an updated and
infinitely improved Match Game? I say infinitely improved because
I hear you at home. \"see Sharks, Card\"
I'd like to think the company's learned its lesson from those disasters.
Too bad he didn't get Gumbel's job at CBS. [/quote]
Exactly what career did he really have before Hollywood Squares?  Hell, he got offered a nice gig after having really nothing.  I can understand wanting to move to greater things, especially if he knows that he doesn't want to be a game show host for the rest of his life.  He's a talented guy and can do so many things, but I know Tom realizes that this show is/was a great launching pad for him.  For the EW critic to insist that his career has taken a sad turn is foolhardy.

I do have to make one prediction though; I betcha Tom never thought it would last this long.

Brandon Brooks
« Last Edit: July 27, 2003, 09:55:44 PM by Brandon Brooks »

GS Warehouse

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2003, 10:30:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Jul 27 2003, 08:35 PM\'] Exactly what career did he really have before Hollywood Squares? ... [/quote]
 He took the same route Anderson Cooper and Meredith Vieira--and going way back to the old days, John Charles Daly--did: the news route.  Bergeron hosted a morning show in Boston and frequently subbed for Charlie Gibson on GMA before fX came calling.

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2003, 10:38:16 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Jul 27 2003, 09:30 PM\'] He took the same route Anderson Cooper and Meredith Vieira--and going way back to the old days, John Charles Daly--did: the news route.  Bergeron hosted a morning show in Boston and frequently subbed for Charlie Gibson on GMA before fX came calling. [/quote]
 I knew that.... that was a rhetorical question.

Brandon Brooks

barrisfan

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2003, 02:44:58 AM »
didn't tom host breakfast time BEFORE gma? his first day on breakfast time was june 1, 1994 (the first day AND first show on fX). i too am a fan of the show and i have a bunch of them on tape.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2003, 04:50:48 AM »
I would hate to see Bergeron added to the list of people who thought they could make careers outside of game shows, only to fail and return to game shows:

Monty Hall

Pat Sajak

(?)Chuck Woolery

Any others?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2003, 11:24:50 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 28 2003, 01:50 AM\'] I would hate to see Bergeron added to the list of people who thought they could make careers outside of game shows, only to fail and return to game shows:
Monty Hall
Pat Sajak
(?)Chuck Woolery
 [/quote]
 The thing that comes to mind that separated Bergeron from the three names you mention is that Bergeron has _maintained_ a gig outside of his Squares hosting duties...he's still lined up on AFV and was doing the fill-in stuff on GMA and the CBS morning show for a while. Further, his first national exposure (if you could call it that on fX in it's infancy) was as something other than a game-show host.

The point I'm making is that people already _know_ of his versatility, so if he decides to leave Squares to pursue other endeavors, I don't think he'll necessarily have that \"game show host\" stigma attached, because he's already got a pedigree outside of the genre.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ChuckNet

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2003, 11:52:13 AM »
I've been a Tom Bergeron fan ever since his days with Laurie Hibberd on Breakfast Time before fX turned into the NYPD Blue/M*A*S*H

I totally agree...in fact, I'd call him one of the best new GS hosts to emerge in the 90s.

If, as is seemingly hauntingly likely, H2 goes bye-bye after the upcoming season, wouldn't it be a hoot seeing him as host of an updated and infinitely improved Match Game? I say infinitely improved because

Funny you should mention that...when H2 and MG '98 first premiered, someone suggested that Bergeron and Michael Burger switch jobs, and I agree that he'd do quite well on another celeb comedy game like MG.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2003, 11:52:31 AM »
Don't forget that the Miss America gig usually goes to people who are known for being something more than *just* a game show host.

I keep going back to the British system.  There doesn't seem to be nearly the stigma attached to being a game show host that keeps talented people from doing other things, including news.  Over there, they're all \"presenters\", and Bergeron has certainly proven himself to be a very good \"presenter\".
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tommycharles

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2003, 02:23:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jul 28 2003, 10:52 AM\'] I keep going back to the British system.  There doesn't seem to be nearly the stigma attached to being a game show host that keeps talented people from doing other things, including news.  Over there, they're all "presenters", and Bergeron has certainly proven himself to be a very good "presenter". [/quote]
 Over there you have a choice, at least. There are people who are known for hosting game shows and probably couldn't get another job because people think \"I'm not watching that, he's a game show host\" (see Monkhouse, Bob; and Forsythe, Bruce). On the other hand, there are people that can and do get other jobs with varying success (Robinson, Anne; Richie, Shane; Burns, Gordon).

Here, I think the idea still applies, just less so. I would hate to think that Louie Anderson or Greg Proops are branded as a game show hosts, although I think that Newton or Finn would be hard pressed to find something else to do.

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2003, 02:25:42 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jul 28 2003, 10:52 AM\'] Funny you should mention that...when H2 and MG '98 first premiered, someone suggested that Bergeron and Michael Burger switch jobs, and I agree that he'd do quite well on another celeb comedy game like MG.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
 Wasn't Burger supposed to host the HS half of the Planet Hollywood Squares/New Gong Show Hour in '96?

uncamark

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2003, 02:40:58 PM »
Over there you have a choice, at least. There are people who are known for hosting game shows and probably couldn't get another job because people think \"I'm not watching that, he's a game show host\" (see Monkhouse, Bob; and Forsythe, Bruce). On the other hand, there are people that can and do get other jobs with varying success (Robinson, Anne; Richie, Shane; Burns, Gordon).

Here, I think the idea still applies, just less so. I would hate to think that Louie Anderson or Greg Proops are branded as a game show hosts, although I think that Newton or Finn would be hard pressed to find something else to do.

Newton has his out--he can always do the celeb/entertainment beat, thanks to his tenure at E! (and that's what got him the radio gig at Blink in New York, since they want to be a celeb/entertainment-driven station).  And since so much of his E! work was voice-over, he could have a good career at that, especially if a client wants a slickster-type voice in their spots.  Like Sajak, Finn was a weatherman before he got into game shows, and while it would be a step back for Sajak, Finn can always go back to that (see O'Connell, Kevin).

Oh, speaking of EW, that same issue has an item in News & Notes that \"Confessions of a Dangerous Mind\" will be re-released in New York and LA on Aug. 15, using a \"there are many good films that audiences miss--this is one of them, don't miss it this time\" campaign.  However, the video/DVD release is still set for Sept. 16--but it seems that Weinstein at Mirimax might be hoping for some quick art-house bucks before the home release.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2003, 02:45:43 PM by uncamark »

zachhoran

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2003, 06:59:34 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jul 28 2003, 01:25 PM\'] [/QUOTE]
Wasn't Burger supposed to host the HS half of the Planet Hollywood Squares/New Gong Show Hour in '96? [/quote]
 I think he was reported as a possible host for PLanet HS, but I didn't hear anything at the time about it being paired up with Gong Show. Though Sony did do a pilot for a new Gong around 1996 or 1997 with comedian Chuck Booms as a host.

ilb4ever2000

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2003, 12:10:06 AM »
I think he was reported as a possible host for PLanet HS, but I didn't hear anything at the time about it being paired up with Gong Show. Though Sony did do a pilot for a new Gong around 1996 or 1997 with comedian Chuck Booms as a host.

I feel like a jerk saying this, but I think that was just an attempt at humor, too.