Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: It's back, and for good this time  (Read 11779 times)

Ian Wallis

It's back, and for good this time
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2005, 09:04:21 AM »
Dennis was originally pegged to be host of the daytime Price...wonder how long the show would have lasted if he'd gotten the gig over Bob.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2005, 09:21:26 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 10 2005, 09:04 AM\']Dennis was originally pegged to be host of the daytime Price...wonder how long the show would have lasted if he'd gotten the gig over Bob.
[snapback]70720[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think the show would still be on, however there would have been a new host search in 1997 after Dennis passed away.  The syndie TPIR was very highly rated for the NBC O&Os, and though today it may be hard to fathom, a lot of people of the time thought first of Dennis as host rather than Bob, since Dennis' was airing in prime access.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 09:22:42 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

zachhoran

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2005, 09:45:30 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 10 2005, 09:04 AM\']Dennis was originally pegged to be host of the daytime Price...wonder how long the show would have lasted if he'd gotten the gig over Bob.
[snapback]70720[/snapback]
[/quote]

Dennis probably would have retired from hosting by somewhere in the 80s. Someone around 40-50 at the time would have succeeded him, maybe the likes of Tomarken or Geoff Edwards. WOuld the show have lasted all the way through now? Not as likely. Bill Bell would have either gotten the time slot for his soap ventures, or the hour would have gone back to the local stations.

Was there consideration to expand the nighttime TPIR to five nights a week after the era of the weekly nighttime syndie game show ended? Or was nighttime TPIR slipping in the ratings by the time of its axing.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 09:48:02 AM by zachhoran »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2005, 12:47:41 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 10 2005, 09:45 AM\']
Was there consideration to expand the nighttime TPIR to five nights a week after the era of the weekly nighttime syndie game show ended? Or was nighttime TPIR slipping in the ratings by the time of its axing.
[snapback]70722[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes, in 1985 and 1994. :)  Seriously, Viacom already had FF 5 nights a week on the NBC O&Os and Price would more than likely would have to compete with Feud, thus splitting the audience.  I think the other O&Os wanted to get away from games, so WCBS went with "Muppet Show" and WABC "People's Court" by 82 when the checkerboard went the way of the dinosaur.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2005, 01:52:57 PM »
[quote name=\'bossjock967\' date=\'Jan 10 2005, 06:55 AM\']Then again... I just recently saw a couple of Barker hosted 1972 eps of TPiR... and I was surprised to see how... what's the best way to describe this... stiff Bob seemed.
[snapback]70714[/snapback]
[/quote]

30 years later, the stiffness continues. (rimshot)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2005, 02:23:03 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 10 2005, 01:52 PM\'][quote name=\'bossjock967\' date=\'Jan 10 2005, 06:55 AM\']Then again... I just recently saw a couple of Barker hosted 1972 eps of TPiR... and I was surprised to see how... what's the best way to describe this... stiff Bob seemed.
[snapback]70714[/snapback]
[/quote]

30 years later, the stiffness continues. (rimshot)
[snapback]70740[/snapback]
[/quote]
Only where the "Barker's Beauties" are concerned...
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum

Ian Wallis

« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2005, 03:01:35 PM »
Seriously, Viacom already had FF 5 nights a week on the NBC O&Os and Price would more than likely would have to compete with Feud, thus splitting the audience. I think the other O&Os wanted to get away from games, so WCBS went with "Muppet Show" and WABC "People's Court" by 82 when the checkerboard went the way of the dinosaur.

I was disappointed when the "checkerboard" schedules started disappearing around 1980 - it was always exciting to me each fall to see what new games we'd be getting in those slots.  TVGuide usually did a good job of describing the major ones in each year's Fall Preview issue, but there were a number that they didn't mention, and I was surprised when they debuted.

For a more detailed look at what shows were in those "checkerboard" time slots, please click this link

http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/St...eckerboard.html

Some additional info was added not too long ago.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 03:15:23 PM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

uncamark

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2005, 04:01:16 PM »
I might have the feeling that Barker was considering "TPIR" his moonlighting gig, since he was still doing "T or C," which he probably considered his main show.  Also, it probably did take him some time to get used to a more structured format after doing the more free-wheeling "T or C" for all those years.

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2005, 10:13:13 PM »
Welcome back, Mike. Glad to know you're with us again. And even moreso, thank you for renewing the Whew! pages. I missed it a lot.

Just do me one favor: Don't be a stranger this time. Talk to us sometimes when we IM you.

Hope to see you soon.
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

aaron sica

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2005, 10:33:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 10 2005, 03:01 PM\']

I was disappointed when the "checkerboard" schedules started disappearing around 1980 - it was always exciting to me each fall to see what new games we'd be getting in those slots.  TVGuide usually did a good job of describing the major ones in each year's Fall Preview issue, but there were a number that they didn't mention, and I was surprised when they debuted.

[snapback]70751[/snapback]
[/quote]

I always looked forward to see what WGAL-8 (NBC, Lancaster) had to offer.........Pre-September 1980 (around January), for example, 7:00pm was "Tic Tac Dough", 5 nights a week. Dance Fever and Muppet Show bookended the week, but in the middle, we had Hollywood Squares on Tuesday and Thursday, and $100,000 Name that Tune on Wednesday.

When fall 1980 dawned, the lineup was much less exciting. TTD bolted for WHP-21 (CBS, Harrisburg), and in its place on WGAL was a 7pm newscast. 7:30 became the home of "PM Magazine" for the rest of the decade.

WGAL has not aired another game show in the 7-8pm hour to this day.