Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: It's back, and for good this time  (Read 11783 times)

Chief-O

It's back, and for good this time
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2005, 09:18:40 PM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' date=\'Jan 8 2005, 09:04 PM\'][quote name=\'Casey Buck\' date=\'Jan 8 2005, 07:31 PM\']I must admit that I really liked the charing
[snapback]70616[/snapback]
[/quote]
Huh?  I don't remember any fires on the Whew! set.  Just the Globe Theatre.
[snapback]70624[/snapback]
[/quote]

I just said this to him on AIM, and I'll say it here....

LINE! OF! THE DAY!!!

Although I've seen clips of the intro, as well as Randy's Gauntlet win, the maingame clip is new to me. I wonder what had Rod cracking up during the contestant call, though.
.....and it goes like this!!!

GS Warehouse

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2005, 09:31:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' date=\'Jan 8 2005, 07:31 PM\']Nobody mentioned this yet, but Mike added a clip of Randy Amasia's entire main game to his Whew page ...

Great job, Mike!
[snapback]70616[/snapback]
[/quote]
Agreed.  Before Ryan Morris and I made separate computer recreations, all I've had to go on as far as seeing the front game in action was concerned were my rusty memory and a transcript of a couple games played over ICQ many years ago.  (I still have a hard copy of the transcript from a game Mike hosted, downloaded from the old Game Show Zone.)

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2005, 09:48:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' date=\'Jan 8 2005, 09:18 PM\']Although I've seen clips of the intro, as well as Randy's Gauntlet win, the maingame clip is new to me. I wonder what had Rod cracking up during the contestant call, though.[/quote]

Trying to say "Whew!" correctly, it seemed to me. How far into the run of the show were Randy's appearances?

(And I was wondering why I couldn't get TNPIR to download--I must have loaded the page 5 seconds before it was changed.)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2005, 10:14:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Jan 8 2005, 09:48 PM\'][quote name=\'Chief-O\' date=\'Jan 8 2005, 09:18 PM\']Although I've seen clips of the intro, as well as Randy's Gauntlet win, the maingame clip is new to me. I wonder what had Rod cracking up during the contestant call, though.[/quote]

Trying to say "Whew!" correctly, it seemed to me. How far into the run of the show were Randy's appearances?

(And I was wondering why I couldn't get TNPIR to download--I must have loaded the page 5 seconds before it was changed.)[/quote]
Late August 1979, 4 months into the run.

And the James TPiR may return later tonight or tomorrow.  I want to gauge how much bandwidth has been used thus far.  The popularity has been far above my expectations.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2005, 11:12:54 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Jan 8 2005, 07:59 PM\']After almost 30 replies, someone finally acknowledges the primary reason I made the post.  Thank you, Casey.

I added the main game video since some people on this board a few months ago said they still didn't understand the blocking and charging concepts.
[snapback]70623[/snapback]
[/quote]
OK, I'll be the first to admit it--I rarely watched WHEW! in my younger days (I had always gravitated to whatever NBC had on at the time [if I was even home, of course], which for the most part was HSq).  But I enjoyed seeing that (not just because of Randy A.'s presence, but because I now realize how cool of a game this was).  Better late than never.  Muchas gracias for that, Mike!

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2005, 12:15:02 AM »
Yeah, I completely forgot to say thanks for the Whew! maingame video. I still don't QUITE think it deserves its reputation, but it certainly didn't deserve celebritization in such a short time.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

JMFabiano

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2005, 12:16:45 AM »
So Chris...if you feel that way towards Dennis, I suppose we should clear a five-mile radius when you get started on Doug Davidson? ;-)
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2005, 12:42:51 AM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Jan 8 2005, 10:16 PM\']So Chris...if you feel that way towards Dennis, I suppose we should clear a five-mile radius when you get started on Doug Davidson? ;-)
[snapback]70644[/snapback]
[/quote]
At least Davidson sucked in fairly short order. James sucked, and took a long time to do it.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Johnissoevil

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2005, 01:22:16 AM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' date=\'Jan 8 2005, 11:46 AM\']I know no one else probably will say it, or liked the show for that matter, but god bless you for Paranoia.
[snapback]70566[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'd expect to see that from someone as paranoid as you, Alex. :-P

ObGameShows:  Kudos to GSN for paying tribute to Jerry Orbach with the ep of J! that they aired today.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

JMFabiano

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2005, 01:33:25 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 9 2005, 12:42 AM\'][quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Jan 8 2005, 10:16 PM\']So Chris...if you feel that way towards Dennis, I suppose we should clear a five-mile radius when you get started on Doug Davidson? ;-)
[snapback]70644[/snapback]
[/quote]
At least Davidson sucked in fairly short order. James sucked, and took a long time to do it.
[snapback]70648[/snapback]
[/quote]

I dare not misinterpret this one, or there'll be a real explosion...oh, I guess that was the wrong metaphor to use for that...
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Johnissoevil

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2005, 01:36:37 AM »
[quote name=\'14gameshows\' date=\'Jan 8 2005, 03:13 PM\']WOW! This is the first time I ever saw Dennis James host a game show.  I'm young so sue me!  I actually liked his style of hosting, remember this was the first episode of the Nighttime Price is Right, so he was new at this too. Cut the man so slack.  I thoroughly enjoyed watching that episode.  It amazed me that pretty much all the music cues from that episode are still used today!  Kudos!
[snapback]70588[/snapback]
[/quote]

While I won't say that Dennis sucked, I will say this much.  Barker is better at it.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

CarShark

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2005, 09:27:37 AM »
I think that Dennis James was a much better host than Barker in the early going. James was much more human, warm, and sincere, while Barker was more of an enthusiastic, overdramatic robot.

Casey

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2005, 10:31:39 AM »
[quote name=\'Johnissoevil\' date=\'Jan 9 2005, 01:36 AM\']While I won't say that Dennis sucked, I will say this much.  Barker is better at it.
[snapback]70653[/snapback]
[/quote]

I hope that you aren't comparing Dennis James of the 6th episode of Price is Right to Bob Barker of 2004, with 6000+ episodes under his belt...  

Personally, I had never seen a Dennis James episode until this one.  While his style was certainly different, he was still new to this show.  I don't think he was as bad as some of you made him out to be.  I'd like to see a Barker episode from this same time period and then make a fair comparison.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2005, 12:00:53 PM »
Neither gentleman was particularly hot stuff on Price in 1972, but I have James eps from 1976 in my collection (including what is purported to be his last, IIRC) - and he didn't improve one bit. Barker, OTOH, was on top of his game in '76.

I still maintain that Doug eventually "got it" and, if the show had made Year 2, he would've been pretty darn good. It just wasn't meant to be. He was being rumored for the "Family Feud" gig for a while there and I thought he'd have been perfect for it.
@lambertman

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2005, 06:55:43 AM »
Yeah... I'd have to agree.  This was the first time I had seen a Dennis James hosted episode of TPiR... and I wasn't overly impressed.

Then again... I just recently saw a couple of Barker hosted 1972 eps of TPiR... and I was surprised to see how... what's the best way to describe this... stiff Bob seemed.
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum