Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: It's back, and for good this time  (Read 11784 times)

cmjb13

It's back, and for good this time
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2005, 02:37:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jan 8 2005, 11:41 AM\']Empty seats!!!! Did you see them? There were empty seats in that audience. Fat chance of that happening today.
[snapback]70563[/snapback]
[/quote]
Still happens. They just cover them with a black cloth.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2005, 02:37:58 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Kevin Prather

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2005, 03:09:48 PM »
The last time I saw Dennis James host something was on the PBS special "Close To You: Remembering the Carpenters," as he hosted "Your All-American College Show." Very interesting to see him host TPiR.

14gameshows

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2005, 03:13:48 PM »
WOW! This is the first time I ever saw Dennis James host a game show.  I'm young so sue me!  I actually liked his style of hosting, remember this was the first episode of the Nighttime Price is Right, so he was new at this too. Cut the man so slack.  I thoroughly enjoyed watching that episode.  It amazed me that pretty much all the music cues from that episode are still used today!  Kudos!

Ian Wallis

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2005, 03:48:19 PM »
Oddly enough, the tape date on the Dennis James ep of TPiR is the same day when CBS unveiled Gambit, TPiR, and the Jokers Wild!

Maybe some of the people in the audience watched the premiere in their hotel rooms that day (assuming they were tourists) so at least they'd know what the show was about!

Re. Dennis - you know, it's funny how time can alter one's opinion.  When the nighttime "Price" was originally on, that's the only one I saw because I was in school when Barker's version aired.  At the time I thought Dennis did an OK job.  In viewing some episodes from his version that are on the trade curcuit, I agree that he wasn't very good at it.  I guess you look at things differently as you get older!  Wasn't it mentioned sometime before that the announcer always had to say "...back to you Dennis" because he could never figure out when to cut in?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2005, 04:05:29 PM »
[quote name=\'14gameshows\' date=\'Jan 8 2005, 03:13 PM\']WOW! This is the first time I ever saw Dennis James host a game show.  I'm young so sue me! [/quote]
I will. Your post caused me to hit my head on my desk and nauseate.
Cut the man some slack.
No. We're entitled to our opinions. You probably prefered Pat Finn to Jack Barry on TJW though.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2005, 04:27:12 PM »
[quote name=\'14gameshows\' date=\'Jan 8 2005, 01:13 PM\']WOW! This is the first time I ever saw Dennis James host a game show.  I'm young so sue me!  I actually liked his style of hosting, remember this was the first episode of the Nighttime Price is Right, so he was new at this too. Cut the man so slack.  I thoroughly enjoyed watching that episode.  It amazed me that pretty much all the music cues from that episode are still used today!  Kudos!
[snapback]70588[/snapback]
[/quote]
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but if your idea of great hosting was watching Dennis James spend nine minutes stumbling through a confusing explanation of both the Grocery Game and Any Number, I just can't help you.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TonicBH

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2005, 05:29:05 PM »
Just saw the Dennis James TPiR. The last program I saw Dennis James host was an episode of PDQ thanks to Shokus Video. I thought his hosting was a little wooden on PDQ, and it's very heir apparent on Price.

Dennis James is like Richard Karn in certain aspects: Likable, friendly, but can't host out of a wet paper bag. (Okay, maybe that was a bad comparison.)
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2005, 05:55:00 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 8 2005, 04:27 PM\'][quote name=\'14gameshows\' date=\'Jan 8 2005, 01:13 PM\']WOW! This is the first time I ever saw Dennis James host a game show.  I'm young so sue me!  I actually liked his style of hosting, remember this was the first episode of the Nighttime Price is Right, so he was new at this too. Cut the man so slack.  I thoroughly enjoyed watching that episode.  It amazed me that pretty much all the music cues from that episode are still used today!  Kudos!
[snapback]70588[/snapback]
[/quote]
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but if your idea of great hosting was watching Dennis James spend nine minutes stumbling through a confusing explanation of both the Grocery Game and Any Number, I just can't help you.
[snapback]70600[/snapback]
[/quote]

Even with the nine minutes of explanation, they still had time for a full credit roll and a full playout of the theme.  I guess the timing was not perfected as of yet.  Wonder what Barker did with the extra time?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

rugrats1

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2005, 05:59:42 PM »
remember this was the first episode of the Nighttime Price is Right

No it wasn't -- it was taped on the day the CBS Price started, meaning that the syndie Price started tape around the time the CBS price taped.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2005, 06:09:50 PM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Jan 8 2005, 05:59 PM\']
remember this was the first episode of the Nighttime Price is Right

No it wasn't -- it was taped on the day the CBS Price started, meaning that the syndie Price started tape around the time the CBS price taped.
[snapback]70610[/snapback]
[/quote]

Not to mention that Mike's download link very clearly describes it as the sixth episode.

tyshaun1

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2005, 07:10:20 PM »
Watched it myself, and while it was in NO MEANS the best hosting job I've ever seen (or even in the top 10), I didn't think he was that bad. Compared to Barker in the first couple of years, at least it seemed that D.J. was trying to have a little fun with it. Only Johnny O. seemed to be in fine form, everyone else, however, not so much.

Thanks, Mike, and a GREAT inclusion on your Hit Man page. Nice publicity photo of Roddy and Tomarken in front of the logo (anyone else notice how slim(mer) Rod was in that picture?).

Tyshaun
« Last Edit: January 08, 2005, 07:19:48 PM by tyshaun1 »

sshuffield70

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2005, 07:10:38 PM »
I saw the James "Price" for a year or so before I saw Barker, so imagine my confusion when I saw Barker in an early hour long show.  Anyway, did anyone think the "Double Double Prices" (for lack of a better name) was weird?

Casey Buck

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2005, 07:31:32 PM »
Nobody mentioned this yet, but Mike added a clip of Randy Amasia's entire main game to his Whew page (as well as re-encoding the clips of the opening and Randy's Gauntlet of Villains win).

Having never seen an episode of Whew, I must admit that I really liked the charing and blocking aspect of the main game.

Great job, Mike!

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2005, 08:59:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' date=\'Jan 8 2005, 07:31 PM\']Nobody mentioned this yet, but Mike added a clip of Randy Amasia's entire main game to his Whew page (as well as re-encoding the clips of the opening and Randy's Gauntlet of Villains win).

Having never seen an episode of Whew, I must admit that I really liked the charing and blocking aspect of the main game.

Great job, Mike!
[/quote]
After almost 30 replies, someone finally acknowledges the primary reason I made the post.  Thank you, Casey.

I added the main game video since some people on this board a few months ago said they still didn't understand the blocking and charging concepts.

WhammyPower

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2005, 09:04:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' date=\'Jan 8 2005, 07:31 PM\']I must admit that I really liked the charing
[snapback]70616[/snapback]
[/quote]
Huh?  I don't remember any fires on the Whew! set.  Just the Globe Theatre.