Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alex's Ken Obsession  (Read 9397 times)

MyCapableAssistant

Alex's Ken Obsession
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2005, 11:24:03 PM »
[quote name=\'MCArroyo1\' date=\'Jan 8 2005, 09:11 PM\'][quote name=\'MyCapableAssistant\' date=\'Jan 8 2005, 10:05 PM\']That must've been one of the ones I missed  ;-p
Who was it?
[snapback]70632[/snapback]
[/quote]
For your sake, I hope you're kidding! :D
[snapback]70639[/snapback]
[/quote]

I may never tell ! :-D
OF COURSE I am! It was one of the
Greatest eps, ever... You DO remember me telling you that...
... DONT'CHA Matt??

starcade

Alex's Ken Obsession
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2005, 09:33:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jan 8 2005, 02:43 AM\'][quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'Jan 7 2005, 08:52 PM\']That's why they even had to eventually double the dollars and do a million-dollar tournament previous to this one.
[/quote]
So...if the top dollar value on Wheel of Fortune was reduced from $5000 to $500...people wouldn't watch?
If the maximum an NFL player could make was $35,000...but they still played just as hard as they do now...people wouldn't watch?

People watch games...to watch games.  Money is a nice little sidebar.
[snapback]70526[/snapback]
[/quote]

People shouldn't watch Wheel anyway, given the morons who play it.

As far as people watching games to watch games, then explain why, save about four syndie shows and TPiR, the genre is essentially dead.  People aren't watching games now like they were in 1975.  *those were the days*

starcade

Alex's Ken Obsession
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2005, 09:35:20 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jan 8 2005, 10:24 PM\']I've said it before: If all audiences want to see is people potentially winning large sums of money, explain to me why state lottery shows aren't the biggest thing on television.
[snapback]70635[/snapback]
[/quote]

Chris, because they're _STATE_ shows.

If a national lottery (not a multi-state one, but a true national one) with commensurate jackpots and a commensurate TV game were created, then I think people would watch for that reason.

Kevin Prather

Alex's Ken Obsession
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2005, 09:37:33 PM »
I thought there was a law against broadcasting lotteries. Are state lotteries exceptions?

sshuffield70

Alex's Ken Obsession
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2005, 10:44:11 PM »
The rule is that the stations in their state of origin can only air their state lottery show and results.  Therefore, that's why one could legally see the Illinois Lottery numbers and subsequent shows, but it couldn't air in another state.  Another example:  Only Powerball states could air PIM (and there's about 15 of them).

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Alex's Ken Obsession
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2005, 03:31:52 AM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jan 10 2005, 10:44 PM\'] Therefore, that's why one could legally see the Illinois Lottery numbers and subsequent shows, but it couldn't air in another state.
[snapback]70832[/snapback]
[/quote]
Explain to me why "Illinois Instant Riches" was seen on the Superstation feed of WGN; not to mention their lotto drawings, which still air.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

sshuffield70

Alex's Ken Obsession
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2005, 10:14:53 AM »
Pretty easy.....

There was only one feed most of the time.  The only exceptions are now when WB is on, and several years ago when the national feed was first added because of syndication issues with some programs.  But the lottery has been there since I first got cable in 1981.

Matt Ottinger

Alex's Ken Obsession
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2005, 12:40:06 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jan 11 2005, 11:14 AM\']Pretty easy.....

There was only one feed most of the time.  The only exceptions are now when WB is on, and several years ago when the national feed was first added because of syndication issues with some programs.  But the lottery has been there since I first got cable in 1981.[/quote]
Are you not even capable of realizing that you contradicted yourself?  You're saying that the Illinois lottery information couldn't legally be seen in any other state, yet you freely acknowledge that WGN showed it on their national superstation feed.

The much simpler answer is that there's precious little interest in a lottery program in any state other than the one where the lottery actually takes place.  I would be astonished to find that there was any actual regulation forbidding it.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

JMFabiano

Alex's Ken Obsession
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2005, 12:48:13 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jan 7 2005, 07:25 PM\']
Quote from: Don Howard,Jan 7 2005, 07:29
If she could make a shot about Alex's first marriage, it'd be even better. If she mentions Pitfall, she's a goddess. ;-)
[right
[snapback]70486[/snapback][/right]

And how much does the Malcolm Jackpot stand at now?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 12:49:18 PM by JMFabiano »
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

sshuffield70

Alex's Ken Obsession
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2005, 05:02:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 11 2005, 12:40 PM\'][quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jan 11 2005, 11:14 AM\']Pretty easy.....

There was only one feed most of the time.  The only exceptions are now when WB is on, and several years ago when the national feed was first added because of syndication issues with some programs.  But the lottery has been there since I first got cable in 1981.[/quote]
Are you not even capable of realizing that you contradicted yourself?  You're saying that the Illinois lottery information couldn't legally be seen in any other state, yet you freely acknowledge that WGN showed it on their national superstation feed.

The much simpler answer is that there's precious little interest in a lottery program in any state other than the one where the lottery actually takes place.  I would be astonished to find that there was any actual regulation forbidding it.
[snapback]70901[/snapback]
[/quote]

In reference to broadcast only.  In other words, using WGN as an example, they can only post Illinois state lottery numbers (but not Indiana, even though a portion is in the viewing area).  In East Texas, there's a really weird situation, with stations in Texas and Louisiana.  Both are lottery states, but can only post results of their own state.  And as if that isn't bad enough, Texas is a MegaMillions state, Louisiana is a PowerBall state.  And while one could legally get results for both states, you have to turn to one of three Shreveport stations for LA, but KLTV 7 is the sole Texas station to turn for the Texas Lottery in the area.

Understand that the FCC does not regulate cable programming.  That's why WGN can broadcast Illinois numbers on the "superstation" feed.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 05:12:12 PM by sshuffield70 »

MCArroyo1

Alex's Ken Obsession
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2005, 07:10:03 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jan 11 2005, 05:02 PM\']In other words, using WGN as an example, they can only post Illinois state lottery numbers (but not Indiana, even though a portion is in the viewing area).
[snapback]70945[/snapback]
[/quote]

I've noticed that in Illinois now, but that wasn't always the case.  I coulda sworn that Indiana lottery numbers used to be posted on some stations.  Was this "rule," if it exists, implemented recently?

EDIT: Huh.  WBBM just showed Indiana lottery numbers...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 11:58:53 PM by MCArroyo1 »

zachhoran

Alex's Ken Obsession
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2005, 07:33:56 PM »
[quote name=\'MCArroyo1\' date=\'Jan 11 2005, 07:10 PM\'][quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jan 11 2005, 05:02 PM\']In other words, using WGN as an example, they can only post Illinois state lottery numbers (but not Indiana, even though a portion is in the viewing area).
[/quote]

I've noticed that in Illinois now, but that wasn't always the case.  I coulda sworn that Indiana lottery numbers used to be posted on some stations.  Was this "rule," if it exists, implemented recently?
[snapback]70952[/snapback]
[/quote]

The Philly-based 10PM and 11PM EST newscasts, or at least some of them, show the PA, NJ, and DE lottery results for that day. They've been doing it for years.

sshuffield70

Alex's Ken Obsession
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2005, 07:43:53 PM »
[quote name=\'MCArroyo1\' date=\'Jan 11 2005, 07:10 PM\'][quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jan 11 2005, 05:02 PM\']In other words, using WGN as an example, they can only post Illinois state lottery numbers (but not Indiana, even though a portion is in the viewing area).
[/quote]

[snapback]70952[/snapback]
[/quote]

Been there for several years before I took my classes (late 80s).  It's an FCC rule.  If the station was licensed to a city in Indiana, then the station could post Indiana lottery numbers, but could not post Illinois numbers.  Now, I have heard of cases where some numbers were disseminated via national radio or TV networks.  But that tends to be few and far between.

trainman

Alex's Ken Obsession
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2005, 12:26:03 AM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jan 11 2005, 04:43 PM\']Been there for several years before I took my classes (late 80s).  It's an FCC rule.  If the station was licensed to a city in Indiana, then the station could post Indiana lottery numbers, but could not post Illinois numbers.  Now, I have heard of cases where some numbers were disseminated via national radio or TV networks.  But that tends to be few and far between.
[snapback]70957[/snapback]
[/quote]

This is the FCC regulation in question, excerpted from the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 47, Part 73, section 73.1211...

(a) No licensee of an AM, FM, television, or Class A television
broadcast station, except as in paragraph © of this section, shall
broadcast any advertisement of or information concerning any lottery,
gift enterprise, or similar scheme, offering prizes dependent in whole
or in part upon lot or chance, or any list of the prizes drawn or
awarded by means of any such lottery, gift enterprise or scheme, whether
said list contains any part or all of such prizes.

(Paragraph (b) is basically an enumeration of reasons why the FCC might or might not consider something a lottery.)

© The provisions of paragraphs (a) and (b) of this section shall
not apply to an advertisement, list of prizes or other information
concerning:
    (1) A lottery conducted by a State acting under the authority of
State law which is broadcast by a radio or television station licensed
to a location in that State or any other State which conducts such a
lottery.

(2) also exempts not-for-profit fishing contests, (3) exempts Indian gambling, (4) exempts certain other lotteries conducted by not-for-profit and/or commercial organizations that are allowed and/or not prohibited by state laws.

Now, as I read ©(1), any TV station located in a state which has a state lottery is allowed to broadcast results of any state's lottery.  So Chicago stations can broadcast Illinois, Indiana, and Wisconsin results.  Philadelphia stations can broadcast Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware results.  But Las Vegas stations can't broadcast California results, since there's no state lottery in Nevada.
trainman is a man of trains

Ian Wallis

Alex's Ken Obsession
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2005, 11:34:28 AM »
There was only one feed most of the time. The only exceptions are now when WB is on, and several years ago when the national feed was first added because of syndication issues with some programs.

I have a TVGuide from Chicago from 1993, and it lists the weekend version of "Caesar's Challenge" on Channel 9 (WGN) that weekend.  That was another show which was blacked out of the superstation feed because it never aired in my area.

The EOTVGS even mentions that a weekend version of the show was seen in LA, but it must have been seen in a few other cities as well.  I can't figure out why *that* would be blocked off the superstation feed though...if they were worried about it competing with whatever other stations had it, "Match Game" '98 was carried on that feed, so that must have been competing.  Oh well...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!