Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alex's Ken Obsession  (Read 9400 times)

zachhoran

Alex's Ken Obsession
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2005, 08:13:04 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jan 7 2005, 04:50 AM\']

As far as special categories going red, not gonna happen.  I like Alex's explanations just fine theank you.  I don't need a TTD element there.  Besides, there's usually at least 2 or 3 of those each week anyways.
[snapback]70373[/snapback]
[/quote]

J! actually did have one special category, i.e. one that played a tad different from usual categories like those on TTD. It didn't have a red background however. It was called "(insert name of category) BONUS". It appeared a few times in the 1997-98 season in the DJ! round. They were two part answers. A contestant getting one part right could try for the second part to try for double the value of the clue, or could pass. Going further and getting it wrong lost the money earned in the first part. Passing or missing gave the other players a chance to try one or both parts.

MyCapableAssistant

Alex's Ken Obsession
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2005, 08:34:20 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jan 6 2005, 11:09 PM\']
are people going to watch in the same numbers as pre-Ken once this Ultimate Tournament ends and contestants that clearly can't measure up to even most of the former champions get on week after week?
You don't suppose people tune in to play a challenging answer-and-question game, do you? That couldn't be the reason it lasted umpteen years on NBC when the top question value was $100, could it?
[snapback]70365[/snapback]
[/quote]

Alex ON:

"Ooooooh! That's so close!! But I'm told the judges cannot accept that answer because it was improperly phrased, despite the fact that you DID phrase it in the form of a question. An example of an acceptable answer might be: 'why did Jeopardy! last so long?,' or 'what can be attributed to Jeopardy's success?' The good news is, however, that you STILL remain in control of the board, so 'pick up your signaling button...' "  

Alex OFF.

Don Howard

Alex's Ken Obsession
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2005, 10:29:41 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 6 2005, 11:28 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 6 2005, 10:40 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 6 2005, 07:57 PM\']I'm sorry, but I can't get past this without cracking up. Post of the day.
[snapback]70326[/snapback]
[/quote]
I demand at least an assist on the play. :)
[snapback]70341[/snapback]
[/quote]
(reads post in question)
Duly noted. Assist granted. :-)
[snapback]70355[/snapback]
[/quote]
Absolutely. I couldn't have done it without his post of a few days ago.
Now! Here's what I'd to see in a future contestant interview with Kerry:
ALEX==What's it like to possibly be the next Ken Jennings?
KERRY==I don't know. What's it like to possibly be the next Art Fleming?

tvwxman

Alex's Ken Obsession
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2005, 10:43:25 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jan 7 2005, 10:29 AM\']
[snapback]70406[/snapback]
[/quote]

Line.....of....the....day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

GS Warehouse

Alex's Ken Obsession
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2005, 02:58:51 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 6 2005, 10:40 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 6 2005, 07:57 PM\']I'm sorry, but I can't get past this without cracking up. Post of the day.
[/quote]I demand at least an assist on the play. :)
[/quote]
I'm currently compiling the Most Amusing Posts of 2004, and your name comes up enough.  Would you please give the rest of us a chance to be funny?

Two Trebekkies walk into a bar...

Kevin Prather

Alex's Ken Obsession
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2005, 07:25:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jan 7 2005, 07:29 AM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 6 2005, 11:28 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 6 2005, 10:40 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 6 2005, 07:57 PM\']I'm sorry, but I can't get past this without cracking up. Post of the day.
[/quote]
I demand at least an assist on the play. :)
[/quote]
(reads post in question)
Duly noted. Assist granted. :-)
[snapback]70355[/snapback]
[/quote]
[snapback]70406[/snapback]
[/quote]

Oh, what I wouldn't pay to see that happen!

If she could make a shot about Alex's first marriage, it'd be even better. If she mentions Pitfall, she's a goddess. ;-)

starcade

Alex's Ken Obsession
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2005, 08:51:36 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Jan 7 2005, 06:26 AM\'][quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'Jan 6 2005, 10:50 PM\']This is one of the reasons I think that J! might be in some trouble.

Ken just blew the recordbook by SO MUCH that he might be the only thing keeping the show afloat.  Yes, it WAS #1 in the syndies, but are people going to watch in the same numbers as pre-Ken once this Ultimate Tournament ends and contestants that clearly can't measure up to even most of the former champions get on week after week?
[snapback]70342[/snapback]
[/quote]

You're kidding me, right?

If the show gave away canned hams for prizes, it would still be a top rated show. You need to understand that contestants don't come on just for the cash. There is an unwritten glory that comes with being a J! champion. Hell, for what it's worth, there's glory in just making it on the show. (There, that should take care of flattery for Michi-Matt!).

Number 2 syndie show consistently for most of it's 20 years. And I would predict (based on how I see my affiliate audience respond to the show) at the top of the charts for many more.
[snapback]70377[/snapback]
[/quote]

You've explained why people would still like to go on the show.

But every contestant from here to infinity is going to be compared to someone who did something so nigh unreachable that I do think a lot of people (after Ultimate), are just going to give up and say "Why bother?  They'll never find another Ken..."

starcade

Alex's Ken Obsession
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2005, 08:52:43 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jan 7 2005, 01:09 AM\']
are people going to watch in the same numbers as pre-Ken once this Ultimate Tournament ends and contestants that clearly can't measure up to even most of the former champions get on week after week?
You don't suppose people tune in to play a challenging answer-and-question game, do you? That couldn't be the reason it lasted umpteen years on NBC when the top question value was $100, could it?
[snapback]70365[/snapback]
[/quote]

Wouldn't work in today's day and age without the history.

That's why they even had to eventually double the dollars and do a million-dollar tournament previous to this one.

tvwxman

Alex's Ken Obsession
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2005, 09:33:18 PM »
[quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'Jan 7 2005, 08:51 PM\']But every contestant from here to infinity is going to be compared to someone who did something so nigh unreachable that I do think a lot of people (after Ultimate), are just going to give up and say "Why bother?  They'll never find another Ken..."

[/quote]

And without going in circles on this with you, i'm just going to say

You're wrong.

There are THOUSANDS of people who would give anything for a crack at an unlimited payoff for being intelligent and a good gamesman. THOUSANDS today. THOUSANDS years from now. And not one of them will give a dang that they're being compared to a Mormon.

Don't believe me? Just check the records for the number of people who try out for the show every year, and don't even come close to passing the test. That pool is olympic-sized.

Oh, and......see below.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 09:34:24 PM by tvwxman »
-------------

Matt

tvwxman

Alex's Ken Obsession
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2005, 09:35:31 PM »
[quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'Jan 7 2005, 08:52 PM\']Wouldn't work in today's day and age without the history.

That's why they even had to eventually double the dollars and do a million-dollar tournament previous to this one.

[/quote]

Good lord. You're obviously proving you don't work in television. And you're certainly proving that you wouldn't cut it as a program executive.
-------------

Matt

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Alex's Ken Obsession
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2005, 02:43:33 AM »
[quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'Jan 7 2005, 08:52 PM\']That's why they even had to eventually double the dollars and do a million-dollar tournament previous to this one.
[/quote]
So...if the top dollar value on Wheel of Fortune was reduced from $5000 to $500...people wouldn't watch?
If the maximum an NFL player could make was $35,000...but they still played just as hard as they do now...people wouldn't watch?

People watch games...to watch games.  Money is a nice little sidebar.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Jimmy Owen

Alex's Ken Obsession
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2005, 07:41:50 AM »
As far as there not being another Ken, I'm sure there are others with the same depth of knowledge and ability.  If Ken had tried out ten years ago, he would have been just another fantastic undefeated champ, with not enough money to quit his job.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

MyCapableAssistant

Alex's Ken Obsession
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2005, 10:05:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 6 2005, 08:37 PM\'][quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jan 6 2005, 11:18 PM\']I'm sure they can't! They'll be "special categories" where any contestant can buzz in and take control......;)[/quote]
Hey, some people SWEPT categories against Ken.

Just sayin'
[snapback]70339[/snapback]
[/quote]

That must've been one of the ones I missed  ;-p
Who was it?

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Alex's Ken Obsession
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2005, 10:24:42 PM »
I've said it before: If all audiences want to see is people potentially winning large sums of money, explain to me why state lottery shows aren't the biggest thing on television.

MCArroyo1

Alex's Ken Obsession
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2005, 11:11:36 PM »
[quote name=\'MyCapableAssistant\' date=\'Jan 8 2005, 10:05 PM\']That must've been one of the ones I missed  ;-p
Who was it?
[snapback]70632[/snapback]
[/quote]
For your sake, I hope you're kidding! :D