Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: You Teases!  (Read 7591 times)

byrd62

You Teases!
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2005, 07:35:35 PM »
[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 05:15 PM\']Richard Crenna and Patty Duke once starred in a sitcom called "It Takes Two", and there was an episode of "NBC Action Theatre" in the early '70s titled "Double Jeopardy".  By coincidence, one of the actors in the drama was a pre-$otC Jack Kelly, and the series was hosted by Art Fleming, who said he "liked the title of tonight's episode."
[snapback]70091[/snapback]
[/quote]

Wasn't that the series that recycled old episodes of Bob Hope Presents the Chrysler Theater from the summer of 1972?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 07:37:00 PM by byrd62 »

Chelsea Thrasher

You Teases!
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2005, 07:45:43 PM »
I'm just waiting for CNBC to title one of it's new shows The Magnificent Marble Machine.

DjohnsonCB

You Teases!
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2005, 09:39:36 PM »
[quote name=\'byrd62\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 07:35 PM\'][quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 05:15 PM\']Richard Crenna and Patty Duke once starred in a sitcom called "It Takes Two", and there was an episode of "NBC Action Theatre" in the early '70s titled "Double Jeopardy".  By coincidence, one of the actors in the drama was a pre-$otC Jack Kelly, and the series was hosted by Art Fleming, who said he "liked the title of tonight's episode."
[/quote]

Wasn't that the series that recycled old episodes of Bob Hope Presents the Chrysler Theater from the summer of 1972?
[snapback]70126[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes, it was.  NBC did a number of these recycled Bob Hope theatre packages in Summer 1972, all hosted by game show hosts.  First off, I got the title of this one wrong; it was actually called "NBC Adventure Theatre", with Ed McMahon as a substitute host.  Jack Kelly hosted "NBC Comedy Playhouse" which repeated the more lighthearted Hope stories, and Peter Marshall hosted "NBC Action Playhouse".

I was able to look up the cast for "Double Jeopardy" in an old reference book and found even more GS connections:  Tom Poston, Lee Meriwether and "Miss Zsa Zsa Gabor" were also players.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

Fedya

You Teases!
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2005, 11:12:51 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 05:38 PM\']Also, wasn't there a nine-hour epic from the early 1920s called Greed?  ISTR someone thinking GSN must have run it through the Time Machine several times, based on his satellite guide.
[snapback]70082[/snapback]
[/quote]

Oddly enough, TCM just aired Greed in it's edited form (slightly over two hours) on Monday morning.  (Yes, it was a silent film from around 1925.)

At least TCM haven't strayed very far from what their original premise was, unlike some of the other channels referenced in this thread....
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

rugrats1

You Teases!
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2005, 12:34:26 AM »
NBC did a number of these recycled Bob Hope theatre packages in Summer 1972, all hosted by game show hosts.

Actually, NBC ran retreads of Chrysler Theater every summer between 1968 and 1972. According to "the Complete Directory of Prime Time Tv Shows", here's what they were:

(All series appeared during the summer; therefore, I only listed the years.)

NBC Action Playhouse (host Peter Marshall; 1971, 1972)
NBC Adventure Theatre (hosts Art Fleming (1971) and Ed McMahon (1972))
NBC Comedy Playhouse (hosts Monty Hall (1968) and Jack Kelly (1970))
NBC Comedy Theater (host Jack Kelly; 1971, 1972)

And, as mentioned before, all hosts were NBC game show hosts.

SamPrainito

You Teases!
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2005, 05:08:55 AM »
In the mid 90's, I was disappointed to learn that the WB series "Dawson's Creek" had nothing to do with the original host of "Family Feud!"

aaron sica

You Teases!
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2005, 07:55:52 AM »
[quote name=\'SamPrainito\' date=\'Jan 6 2005, 05:08 AM\']In the mid 90's, I was disappointed to learn that the WB series "Dawson's Creek" had nothing to do with the original host of "Family Feud!"
[snapback]70184[/snapback]
[/quote]

When I was a child, I remember seeing a show listed in the TVG in late night, called "The Name of the Game", and at first, I thought that was a game show as well...

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
You Teases!
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2005, 09:55:09 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jan 6 2005, 06:55 AM\'][quote name=\'SamPrainito\' date=\'Jan 6 2005, 05:08 AM\']In the mid 90's, I was disappointed to learn that the WB series "Dawson's Creek" had nothing to do with the original host of "Family Feud!"
[snapback]70184[/snapback]
[/quote]

When I was a child, I remember seeing a show listed in the TVG in late night, called "The Name of the Game", and at first, I thought that was a game show as well...
[snapback]70191[/snapback]
[/quote]
I remember as a kid vacationing in NY and settling down to watch WPIX's showing of Gambit, then realizing "That's not Wink Martindale!" (and then abrupting changing the channel).

To use the immortal words of Casey Kasem as Shaggy, zoiks.  :)

Doug
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 09:55:42 AM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

uncamark

You Teases!
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2005, 05:53:31 PM »
[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 09:39 PM\'][quote name=\'byrd62\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 07:35 PM\'][quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 05:15 PM\']Richard Crenna and Patty Duke once starred in a sitcom called "It Takes Two", and there was an episode of "NBC Action Theatre" in the early '70s titled "Double Jeopardy".  By coincidence, one of the actors in the drama was a pre-$otC Jack Kelly, and the series was hosted by Art Fleming, who said he "liked the title of tonight's episode."
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, it was.  NBC did a number of these recycled Bob Hope theatre packages in Summer 1972, all hosted by game show hosts.  First off, I got the title of this one wrong; it was actually called "NBC Adventure Theatre", with Ed McMahon as a substitute host.  Jack Kelly hosted "NBC Comedy Playhouse" which repeated the more lighthearted Hope stories, and Peter Marshall hosted "NBC Action Playhouse".
[snapback]70154[/snapback]
[/quote]

And "Bob Hope Presents the Chrysler Theater" ran in syndication as "Theater of Stars," with no on-camera host, which probably meant that the actual dramas ran without any editing.  Even though Universal produced the series (with Hope Enterprises), NBC owned the syndication rights to the show, thanks to Hope's long connection with the network, and Paramount now owns the syndication rights due to the 1971 FCC rulings that also led to prime access.

ObGameShow:  And we all know which genre came to dominate prime access, don't we?  (Besides nature shows.)

TraderRob

You Teases!
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2005, 06:07:04 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 12:35 PM\']And in Chicago, Comcast subscribers can get ABC News Now if they have an HD set and an HD box, even though the channel's not HD, just digital.  As a digital subscriber, I'm not happy about that, especially since it looks like all digital tier subscribers will get NBC Weather Plus (the Peacock's own digital side channel) when it launches here week after next.

ObGameShow:  Al Roker hosted "Remember This?" on MSNBC.  I'm sure he'll be seen on NBC Weather Plus in promos.
[snapback]70031[/snapback]
[/quote]

Mark,

I think it depends on the suburb you live in.   I have a friend on the SW side of the city who had digital cable and only received about 17 of the 40+ Music Choice channels.   Scamcast is weird that way -

I was able to get ABCNN on 217 as well at least through the election and I believe I still receive it now without needing the HD equipment.

But back on topic, did anyone ever get confused by the "Post Game Show" that would come on after most major sports telecasts?    When I was a kid, I saw that once and thought an actual game show was coming on!

Rob
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 06:07:37 PM by TraderRob »

Jimmy Owen

You Teases!
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2005, 03:34:10 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jan 6 2005, 05:53 PM\'][quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 09:39 PM\'][quote name=\'byrd62\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 07:35 PM\'][quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 05:15 PM\']Richard Crenna and Patty Duke once starred in a sitcom called "It Takes Two", and there was an episode of "NBC Action Theatre" in the early '70s titled "Double Jeopardy".  By coincidence, one of the actors in the drama was a pre-$otC Jack Kelly, and the series was hosted by Art Fleming, who said he "liked the title of tonight's episode."
[/quote]

[/quote]

[snapback]70154[/snapback]
[/quote]

And "Bob Hope Presents the Chrysler Theater" ran in syndication as "Theater of Stars," with no on-camera host, which probably meant that the actual dramas ran without any editing.  Even though Universal produced the series (with Hope Enterprises), NBC owned the syndication rights to the show, thanks to Hope's long connection with the network, and Paramount now owns the syndication rights due to the 1971 FCC rulings that also led to prime access.

ObGameShow:  And we all know which genre came to dominate prime access, don't we?  (Besides nature shows.)
[snapback]70288[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think the package must have been split up somehow because I've seen some of those Bob Hope shows under the title "Universal Star Time."  They used to run on CBN in the early '80s. In the early '90's, Nostalgia used to run "Theater of the Stars," which was a mixture of the Hope shows and old "Matinee Theater" dramas from the '50's.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

OntarioQuizzer

You Teases!
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2005, 01:23:15 PM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 01:33 PM\']There was a 1985 action show on CBS called "Double Dare" that had nothing to do with Spoilers & Physical Challenges.
[snapback]70029[/snapback]
[/quote]

Don't remind me...I took my first career quiz bowl neg on a question about Double Dare - I said "Wizard of Odds" instead on a Trebek reference, never having heard of that 1985 show.

ObGameShow: Kevin Olmstead was moderating the game.

[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 06:15 PM\']Richard Crenna and Patty Duke once starred in a sitcom called "It Takes Two", and there was an episode of "NBC Action Theatre" in the early '70s titled "Double Jeopardy".  By coincidence, one of the actors in the drama was a pre-$otC Jack Kelly, and the series was hosted by Art Fleming, who said he "liked the title of tonight's episode."
[/quote]

Wasn't "It Takes Two" the name of a mid-90s Olsen Twins made-for-TV movie as well?

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
You Teases!
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2005, 01:53:23 PM »
[quote name=\'OntarioQuizzer\' date=\'Jan 7 2005, 02:23 PM\'][quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 01:33 PM\']There was a 1985 action show on CBS called "Double Dare" that had nothing to do with Spoilers & Physical Challenges.
[snapback]70029[/snapback]
[/quote]

Don't remind me...I took my first career quiz bowl neg on a question about Double Dare - I said "Wizard of Odds" instead on a Trebek reference, never having heard of that 1985 show.

ObGameShow: Kevin Olmstead was moderating the game.

[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 06:15 PM\']Richard Crenna and Patty Duke once starred in a sitcom called "It Takes Two", and there was an episode of "NBC Action Theatre" in the early '70s titled "Double Jeopardy".  By coincidence, one of the actors in the drama was a pre-$otC Jack Kelly, and the series was hosted by Art Fleming, who said he "liked the title of tonight's episode."
[/quote]

Wasn't "It Takes Two" the name of a mid-90s Olsen Twins made-for-TV movie as well?
[snapback]70433[/snapback]
[/quote]

"It Takes Two" was a movie with the Olsen Twins, but it was released in theaters, not made for TV. It was released in 1995 and co-starred Kirstie Alley and Steve Guttenberg. Never saw the movie.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

GS Warehouse

You Teases!
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2005, 02:21:39 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' date=\'Jan 7 2005, 01:53 PM\']"It Takes Two" was a movie with the Olsen Twins, but it was released in theaters, not made for TV. It was released in 1995 and co-starred Kirstie Alley and Steve Guttenberg. Never saw the movie.
[snapback]70440[/snapback]
[/quote]
When New York Minute was released last spring, I've heard a lot of critics saying it was Mary Kate and Ashley's big screen debut.  I guess It Takes Two was so bad they wanted to forget it happened.

ObGS #1: Full House star Bob Saget had a very brief cameo in NYM.  Saget was the first host of America's Funniest Home Videos; Tom Bergeron hosts it now.

ObGS #1a: Another FH co-star, Dave Coulier, accomplished a rare double on TTTT2K: he was both a panelist and an imposter.

ObGS #2: Kirstie Alley appeared as a contestant on MG and P+.

ObGS #3: Fam's revival of It Takes Two left a lot to be desired in the execution department.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 02:22:22 PM by GS Warehouse »

zachhoran

You Teases!
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2005, 07:38:44 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Jan 7 2005, 02:21 PM\']

ObGS #1: Full House star Bob Saget had a very brief cameo in NYM.  Saget was the first host of America's Funniest Home Videos; Tom Bergeron hosts it now.

[snapback]70450[/snapback]
[/quote]

Saget's actual game show connections were as a up and coming comedian on the 1979 Make me Laugh and as a contestant on the Dating Game around the same time.