Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Favorite Host Slip-Ups  (Read 11310 times)

TalkingHeadsFan

Favorite Host Slip-Ups
« on: January 04, 2005, 02:42:18 PM »
In your opinion, what are your top 3 favorite host slip-ups of all time? Specifically, examples of hosts either speaking not-so-eloquently, or managing to screw up the simplest rules of the English language...But of course, we're certainly not limited to that. My top 3 are...

3. Newlywed Game - Bob Eubanks - "25 point boner".....

--Gotta love this one, especially since "Boner" is such a fitting word for that show.

2. Scrabble - Chuck Woolery - "Let's re-crap the scores!".....

--Another favorite...potty humor for all to enjoy!

1. Password Plus - Allen Ludden - "Do you like to play Password?" Contestant: "I sure do!" Allen: "Would you like to do it?".....

--If your mind is in the gutter, which every audience members' was, the spontaenaity and randomness of the question made this great. In addition, Allen's blatant ignorance of innuendo made this my top choice...Seeing the classy host come out of his shell was a great moment...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Honorable Mention: Phone Jeopardy Promo - Alex Trebek - "Ah, dumb son-of-a-b*tch you don't watch Jeopardy 24 hours a day!" and the famous "Aw, f*ck!"......

--Although the clip that circulates is heavily edited, there's no denying the fact that Trebek got a little heated during the shooting of that promo. The way he deals with his frustration made it hilarious, as well as seeing him being less-than uptight.

Doug

aaron sica

Favorite Host Slip-Ups
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 02:53:06 PM »
Forgive me for not knowing the celeb's name, but someone will fill in.

An exchange on Pyramid:

Dick: You were great last night.
Celeb: Thank you, Dick, so were you.
Dick [laughing, then realizing what he'd said]: No, no, no, no, the movie, the MOVIE!!

Steve Gavazzi

Favorite Host Slip-Ups
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 03:15:45 PM »
Barker's "Chevy Cracker."  Not so much because it was a funny name, but because he said it every time they used a Tracker for about four months. :-)

GSWitch

Favorite Host Slip-Ups
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 03:18:34 PM »
Here's a clean, tasteful slip-up that happened to Vicki Lawrence on Win, Lose or Draw.  It happened on a special week in Disneyland.

VICKI:  You know how the game's played.  Looking for a movie title.  Remember, no letters or numbers, especially when you see this.

Just as the celebrity's about to draw...

CONTESTANT:  101 Dalmatians!

Cheers & applause while Vicki's startled.

VICKI:  I DIDN'T EVEN START THE CLOCK!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Favorite Host Slip-Ups
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 03:27:18 PM »
I'm not posting three--not worth the bandwidth.  But I'll give you this.  I used this as my Usenet sig at one time.  Chuck Barris, on the 12/28/77 ep of GONG, blooped the following:

"This next group was so dynamic at auditions that our talent coordinator leapt from his chair and said, 'Now that's entertainment!'  Today that same talent coordinator lives on a fairy farm, a dairy farm <<<cue McKenzie hard laugh #2>>>. . . . Never mind!"

Chuckie was good for a couple of those a week, especially in the later months when he'd let the audience clapping with him distract him from what he was supposed to read.  :)

Doug -- and the countdown to 900 continues
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 03:29:34 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

GS Warehouse

Favorite Host Slip-Ups
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 04:13:56 PM »
These two words weren't mentioned the last time this question was asked: "Seattle Jew".

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Favorite Host Slip-Ups
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 04:25:26 PM »
How we made it six posts into this thread without reference to Karen Lesko's pretty nipples, I'll never understand.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

Favorite Host Slip-Ups
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2005, 05:11:46 PM »
Not necessarily a host slip-up, per se, but a few years ago, Dick Clark was a guest on Oprah, and one audience member thanked him for making New Year's Eve so easy for many single females.

OPRAH: Well, that's what you do...you turn Dick on to help you thru then nite.

Made it on one of his blooper specials of course. :-)

And of course, how could we forget Jim Caldwell on TTD. Oh wait, it was supposed to be one-time mistakes. (rimshot)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

sshuffield70

Favorite Host Slip-Ups
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2005, 06:27:28 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jan 4 2005, 02:53 PM\']Forgive me for not knowing the celeb's name, but someone will fill in.

An exchange on Pyramid:

Dick: You were great last night.
Celeb: Thank you, Dick, so were you.
Dick [laughing, then realizing what he'd said]: No, no, no, no, the movie, the MOVIE!!
[snapback]69877[/snapback]
[/quote]

God, I hate sounding like Horan, but that was Lucie Arnaz for the blooper.

aaron sica

Favorite Host Slip-Ups
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2005, 07:22:45 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jan 4 2005, 06:27 PM\']God, I hate sounding like Horan, but that was Lucie Arnaz for the blooper.
[snapback]69904[/snapback]
[/quote]

No need to worry. If you would have sounded like Horan you would have also chimed in with the version of the show, the original airdate, and the other celeb that was on that week.

DrBear

Favorite Host Slip-Ups
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2005, 07:29:16 PM »
I was going to mention Jim Peck's not-so-grand entrance, but that would have been a host slip-DOWN.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

zachhoran

Favorite Host Slip-Ups
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2005, 07:45:54 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jan 4 2005, 07:22 PM\'][quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jan 4 2005, 06:27 PM\']God, I hate sounding like Horan, but that was Lucie Arnaz for the blooper.
[/quote]

No need to worry. If you would have sounded like Horan you would have also chimed in with the version of the show, the original airdate, and the other celeb that was on that week.
[snapback]69907[/snapback]
[/quote]

The week of 5/9/88-5/13/88 of CBS $25K Pyramid. The week is notable in that Lucie was the celeb partner to the other celeb that week, Joel Brooks, when Brooks was a Winner's Circle winner as a contestant 12 years earlier.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Favorite Host Slip-Ups
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2005, 08:01:54 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jan 4 2005, 07:22 PM\']No need to worry. If you would have sounded like Horan you would have also chimed in with the version of the show, the original airdate, and the other celeb that was on that week.
[/quote]

Thanks a lot Aaron.  You left the damn door WIDE open for this birdbrain to insert his 2,000th bit of useless information.  

[quote name=\'annoying\']The week of 5/9/88-5/13/88 of CBS $25K Pyramid. The week is notable in that Lucie was the celeb partner to the other celeb that week, Joel Brooks, when Brooks was a Winner's Circle winner as a contestant 12 years earlier.[/quote]
To Zach: When no one asks you for information; its because no one gives a damn about it.  Get over yourself...but thanks for further proving you haven't opened your front door since 1981.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 08:31:05 PM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

Favorite Host Slip-Ups
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2005, 08:04:06 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 4 2005, 07:45 PM\'][quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jan 4 2005, 07:22 PM\'][quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jan 4 2005, 06:27 PM\']God, I hate sounding like Horan, but that was Lucie Arnaz for the blooper.
[/quote]

[/quote]

The week of 5/9/88-5/13/88 of CBS $25K Pyramid. The week is notable in that Lucie was the celeb partner to the other celeb that week, Joel Brooks, when Brooks was a Winner's Circle winner as a contestant 12 years earlier.
[snapback]69914[/snapback]
[/quote]

Zach, that was not an invitation for you to show off. And by the way, WHOOOOOOOOSH!!!
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Favorite Host Slip-Ups
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2005, 08:08:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Jan 4 2005, 07:01 PM\']Thanks a lot Aaron.  You left the damn door WIDE open for this birdbrain to insert his 2,000th bit of useless information. 
[snapback]69918[/snapback]
[/quote]
Don't you mean his 3,837th (as of 7:08PM CT, 1/4/05)?  :)

Doug -- and the countdown to 900 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)