Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Childhood Memories  (Read 6667 times)

CJBojangles

Childhood Memories
« on: December 29, 2004, 06:54:58 PM »
I remember as a child two specific episodes of the Nickelodeon cartoon "Rugrats" that had game show ties. In one episode, the mother Didi Pickles goes on a quiz show called "Super Stumpers" to win fabulous prizes. She and her opponent both buzzed in to answer the host feverishly back and forth to the point where no parts of the questions were even being read, and both players were spewing answers before even hearing the questions and getting credit for correct answers. (Ken Jennings, eat your heart out.)

However, the host had a familiar voice. IIRC, it was Jeopardy! host Alex Trebek, dealing with a (fictional) situation that not even he knew could compare to one he might deal with in the future with a certain Jeopardy! wiz.

In the other episode, a character named Chuck opened his door to "Pat Sajak", with a voice sounding much like Pat's, holding a giant check as if in a PCH giveaway. I've yet to determine whether that was his true voice. Anyone know for sure? This has been many years.

I know of Vanna White's appearance on Full House, and the cast of Mama's Family made it on Family Feud, but what other appearances have game show hosts made in recent years on sitcoms and in cartoons?

BrandonFG

Childhood Memories
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 07:01:58 PM »
The Super Stumpers host was Trebek.

"Family Guy" had Bob Barker do a guest voice, and possibly a couple other hosts that escape me.

Tom Bergeron appeared as himself on "The Nanny", back during HSq's first season, and Richard Karn was on "Watching Ellie" (short-lived Julia-Louis Dreyfuss sitcom from about two yrs. ago), in a Feud-related episode.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

zachhoran

Childhood Memories
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 07:25:26 PM »
[quote name=\'CJBojangles\' date=\'Dec 29 2004, 06:54 PM\']

I know of Vanna White's appearance on Full House, and the cast of Mama's Family made it on Family Feud, but what other appearances have game show hosts made in recent years on sitcoms and in cartoons?
[snapback]69065[/snapback]
[/quote]

Tom Kennedy played a host of Name that Tune on Cybill in 1997. Regis played a host of WWTBAM on Spin City in November 1999. Donny Osmond made a cameo on Friends as host of Pyramid last season.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Childhood Memories
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004, 07:29:32 PM »
OK, so it's not "recent years," but I'll put in a plug for Chuck Barris playing himself on SANFORD & SON (as Fred and Lamont work up an act for GONG).

Doug -- and the countdown to 900 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

cmjb13

Childhood Memories
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2004, 07:34:22 PM »
If this counts, John O'Hurley in UPN's "The Mullets"
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Childhood Memories
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2004, 08:16:38 PM »
The actor who voiced the "Super Stumpers" champ? Charles Nelson Reilly.

And indeed, Pat Sajak appeared as himself on "Rugrats."

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

mclemore63

Childhood Memories
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2004, 08:39:34 PM »
[quote name=\'CJBojangles\' date=\'Dec 29 2004, 06:54 PM\']I remember as a child two specific episodes of the Nickelodeon cartoon "Rugrats" that had game show ties. In one episode, the mother Didi Pickles goes on a quiz show called "Super Stumpers" to win fabulous prizes. She and her opponent both buzzed in to answer the host feverishly back and forth to the point where no parts of the questions were even being read, and both players were spewing answers before even hearing the questions and getting credit for correct answers. (Ken Jennings, eat your heart out.)

However, the host had a familiar voice. IIRC, it was Jeopardy! host Alex Trebek, dealing with a (fictional) situation that not even he knew could compare to one he might deal with in the future with a certain Jeopardy! wiz.

In the other episode, a character named Chuck opened his door to "Pat Sajak", with a voice sounding much like Pat's, holding a giant check as if in a PCH giveaway. I've yet to determine whether that was his true voice. Anyone know for sure? This has been many years.

[snapback]69065[/snapback]
[/quote]

First things first, that Rugrats ep ("Game Show Didi") not only had Alex Trebek as "Alan Quebec",but also had Chrles Nelson Reilly as the defending champ! The other Rugrats ep you mentioned "Chuckie Is Rich" did indeed have Pat Sajak present Chuckie's father Chaz the top prize in the "American Dunderhead Sweepstakes".And one more Rugrats-GS connection: in the ep "Lady Luck",Ben stein was the voice of the bingo caller.

As for other GS hosts doing guest voices on toons:

Alex Trebek: "Arthur" , "The Simpsons" ("Miracle on Evergreen Terrace")
Bob Barker:"Futurama"(as his own head hosting an intergalactic beauty pageant)
Regis Philbin: "The Simpsons"( actually a live action shot on "Treehouse of Horror IX")
Dick Clark:"The Simpsons" (Treehouse of Horror X)
Betty White:"The Simpsons" (Missionary Impossible)
Steve Allen:"The Simpsons" (Separate Vocations,Round Springfield)
Ryan Secrest:"Hey Arnold!"(forget the name of the ep, but hosted a "Family Feud"-"Double Dare" mix)

Hope this is a good start.

Travis D. McLemore,Jr.

"I think I'm in a deli...I'm on a roll!"
Mr. Baggy Pants,"Remote Control"

WhammyPower

Childhood Memories
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2004, 08:47:08 PM »
Ben Stein also voices all of the Pixies on "The Fairly Odd Parents" in at least 2 episodes.

Kevin Prather

Childhood Memories
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2004, 08:55:43 PM »
Jeopardy:
-Blossom (Joey Lawrence beats Mayim Bialik and Albert Einstein to set a new one-day record of $13,000,000.)
-The Simpsons (Marge plays FJ with $-5200.)
-The Nanny (I think)
-The Golden Girls (Dorothy Zbornak loses to Rose Nylund, who becomes a 5-day champion with $92,100, after missing FJ, not knowing it is actually Cary Grant who is buried in Grant's Tomb.)
-Mama's Family (Thelma Harper comes in second place after missing FJ, not knowing that William Shakespeare's only som was named Hamnet. Thelma wins a trip to "Hawai-yuh" for 2nd place.)

Don Howard

Childhood Memories
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2004, 09:26:16 PM »
Geoff Edwards as an emcee in the comedic TV-movie Three On A Date.
Plus, Gene Rayburn and Jan Murray as game show hosts in a humorous episode of Fantasy Island.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 09:28:28 PM by Don Howard »

zachhoran

Childhood Memories
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2004, 09:34:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Dec 29 2004, 09:26 PM\']Geoff Edwards as an emcee in the TV-movie Three On A Date.
Plus, Gene Rayburn and Jan Murray as game show hosts in an episode of Fantasy Island.
[snapback]69090[/snapback]
[/quote]

Tom Kennedy did a game show host role on a 1986 episode of Hardcastle and McCormick. Bob Goen did a game show host role on Perfect Strangers in 1988 or 1989. David RUprecht played a GS host on a mid-90s episode of Family Matters.

Pat and Vanna(or at least one of them on each show) did cameos on 227, Riptide, Santa Barbara, A-Team, and Gimme a Break in storylines featuring WOF contestants. L.A. Law had Doug Brackman appearing on the Goen WOF, with Goen doing a cameo. Dawson did a cameo on Angie when her family appeared on Feud, though it wasn't taped on the actual Feud set. The Combs Feud set was used when the 227 clan appeared on Feud on a November 1988 episode. Martial Law did part of an episode on the TPIR set, no? Besides Sanford and Son's Gong Show episode, What's Happening had a Gong SHow-themed episode. Lest we forget Odd Couple's two classic GS episodes: Oscar and Felix on Password and also on LMAD, Monty did a cameo on the latter. Eubanks did a cameo as Newlywed Game host on Days of our Lives, when a newlywed couple from that show appeared on the 80s era NG.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Childhood Memories
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2004, 09:48:55 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 29 2004, 08:34 PM\']Besides Sanford and Son's Gong Show episode, What's Happening had a Gong SHow-themed episode.
[snapback]69091[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yes, they did, but none of the principals appeared (although WH used legit celebrities in the judges' roles--while S&S did not).

Doug -- and the countdown to 900 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Kevin Prather

Childhood Memories
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2004, 09:49:36 PM »
Eubanks appeared as the host of "The Honeymoon's Over" on an episode of "Kenan & Kel". The prize was house, IIRC.

I vaguely remember a commercial for that episode of Martial Law. I think I was 6 or 7. Anyone remember what happened on that episode?

GSWitch

Childhood Memories
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2004, 10:22:29 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Dec 29 2004, 07:55 PM\']-The Nanny (I think)
[snapback]69080[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes, Fran Drecher played Jeopardy!  In fact, it was the only sitcom where The Daily Double was featured.  She went into Final Jeopardy with $100.  Her opponents missed out, she had the correct answer & became a one time champion with $200!

Also, how could you miss Cheers?

"Who are three people that never visited my kitchen?"

Kevin Prather

Childhood Memories
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2004, 10:38:50 PM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Dec 29 2004, 07:22 PM\'][quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Dec 29 2004, 07:55 PM\']-The Nanny (I think)
[snapback]69080[/snapback]
[/quote]

Also, how could you miss Cheers?

"Who are three people that never visited my kitchen?"
[snapback]69098[/snapback]
[/quote]

Damn. I knew I forgot something!