Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 2004 Cheers & Jeers  (Read 7926 times)

ChuckNet

2004 Cheers & Jeers
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2005, 10:04:46 PM »
There was no excuse for not doing a goodbye on the last H2. The last match and bonus round ended with one more segment to go. THey used that last segment to start a match that they knew damned well there'd never be enough time to finish, and with that bit of time they could have done a two or three minute song and dance for a goodbye.

I agree...that was the real reason I shed those crocodile tears while watching the finale at GSC12! LOL

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
2004 Cheers & Jeers
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2005, 11:38:03 PM »
"Meet My New Obnoxious Swan Factor Idol"
You gotta put the words "Big Fat" in there somewhere.

JEERS to Richard Karn, to the person who hired Richard Karn, to his agent, to his manager, to the person who told his agent they were holding auditions for FF, to Fremantle for writing him paychecks, to the maker of the automobile that takes him to the studio, and to the engineer who pushes the "record" button on the videotape machine that records the show.

JEERS to Bob Barker for walking out of the GSC luncheon and generally being a mean old man.

CHEERS to the TV Academy for including Rod Roddy in their memorial montage.

CHEERS to matchgame for the game show music webcast.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2005, 11:44:30 PM by chris319 »

zachhoran

2004 Cheers & Jeers
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2005, 09:51:46 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jan 2 2005, 11:38 PM\']
JEERS to Bob Barker for walking out of the GSC luncheon and generally being a mean old man.

[snapback]69573[/snapback]
[/quote]

What was the demeanor of that other Bob at the GSC luncheon, Bob Stewart?

starcade

2004 Cheers & Jeers
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2005, 10:10:48 PM »
[quote name=\'byrd62\' date=\'Jan 1 2005, 09:57 AM\'][quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'Dec 31 2004, 12:55 PM\']OK, a slight bias here:

But CHEERS to Deborah Gibson for redeeming a horrific performance on "The Weakest Link" by aiding Jody Gray in winning $100,000 in a jaw-dropping tournament run in the final Pyramid tournament.

(No, I'm not going to claim she's the best ever at the darn game -- but a darn sight better than "Reality TV Week" or some of the other stunts they pulled...)
[snapback]69351[/snapback]
[/quote]

Debbie Gibson was but a child growing up on Long Island during the era of the old New York Pyramid [she was 1½(!) when it premiered in 1973], and was a teen on the verge of top-40 stardom during the 1980's L.A. version of same, so one would hope that she might have found some time in her earlier, young life to have watched either of those versions, else she wouldn't have played the most recent Pyramid so successfully earlier this year.  We would have seen more of Debbie had Pyramid gone on to this season.
[snapback]69410[/snapback]

Absolutely on all counts.  As I said on the earlier post, she at least got a lot of what Pyramid was all about and seemed to be very good.  (If one can't get "What Liza Minelli Would Say" after references to David Gest and Cabaret, you could've given Deborah an HOUR and she wouldn't have gotten it.)
[/quote]

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
2004 Cheers & Jeers
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2005, 01:19:42 AM »
What was the demeanor of that other Bob at the GSC luncheon, Bob Stewart?
He was affable and had great anecdotes about Bill Cullen (and Bill Cullen's hair). Unfortunately his participation ended there. I had been thinking we might get to spend a couple of hours of "quality time" with the man -- he'll never have a more appreciative audience -- but alas not.

I'd be interested in knowing if he still thinks of ideas for games after folding his company, or if he doesn't even think about them any more. (Every time I get the game-tinkering itch I think to myself, "What for?".)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 01:23:42 AM by chris319 »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
2004 Cheers & Jeers
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2005, 01:24:42 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 01:19 AM\']I'd be interested in knowing if he still thinks of ideas for games after folding his company[/quote]
Well, we all know that "Double Talk" couldn't have drained his think tank...
--Mark
Phil 4:13

whewfan

2004 Cheers & Jeers
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2005, 05:52:16 AM »
JEERS to Richard Karn, to the person who hired Richard Karn, to his agent, to his manager, to the person who told his agent they were holding auditions for FF, to Fremantle for writing him paychecks, to the maker of the automobile that takes him to the studio, and to the engineer who pushes the "record" button on the videotape machine that records the show.

Karn has lasted 3 seasons so far. He's doing SOMETHING right, or people don't watch Feud because "that guy from Home Improvement" hosts it. Ok, Karn is not Richard Dawson. You'll never see him kiss the ladies, take shots at the producer, or come up with a joke every 3 seconds, but he can be funny.  At least he doesn't TRY TO HARD to be funny, which would make him a bad host. During the first season, Richard did miss a lot of opportunities to joke around when a player gave a bad answer, but I think he's improved since then. I think the producers were conscious to hire someone that's NOT Richard Dawson, Ray Combs, or Louie Anderson, but is certainly likeable enough. Louie may have lasted 3 seasons on Feud, but he clearly wasn't the best host for the job. Louie was inconsistent... some shows were good, and he was funny, but other shows, Louie looks tired, and sometimes appears lost. The part where Louie was the weakest was the ending. At first, he stayed onstage during the credits, and later he would exit, tossing his clipboard towards the camera. He usually would say "Be good to your family, come see our family on Family Feud"... and tried to come up with a closing comment on his own, with varying degrees of success.

I always got the impression that Bob doesn't like making game show appearances outside of Price is Right. I don't believe he's made any game show appearances since Combs Feud, and that was in the early 90s. I think that appearance was just before the shakeup between Dian and Bob. Before that, his last game show appearance was on Davidson HS, just before he let his hair go gray.

Don Howard

2004 Cheers & Jeers
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2005, 06:41:29 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jan 2 2005, 11:38 PM\']JEERS to Bob Barker for walking out of the GSC luncheon
[snapback]69573[/snapback]
[/quote]
But he "had a show to do"--25 hours later.

zachhoran

2004 Cheers & Jeers
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2005, 07:56:42 AM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 05:52 AM\']

I always got the impression that Bob doesn't like making game show appearances outside of Price is Right. I don't believe he's made any game show appearances since Combs Feud, and that was in the early 90s. I think that appearance was just before the shakeup between Dian and Bob. Before that, his last game show appearance was on Davidson HS, just before he let his hair go gray.
[snapback]69973[/snapback]
[/quote]

Bob did do a cameo on one of the Game Show host weeks on H2. They did try to get him to be a square that week IIRC. Bob and the gang did a COmbs Feud TPIR/Y&R appearance the year after Dian went bye-bye(notable in that Bob mentioned, during the first Bullseye face-off, Doug Davidson's upcoming tenure on TNPIR94)

sshuffield70

2004 Cheers & Jeers
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2005, 11:39:44 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 07:56 AM\'][quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 05:52 AM\']

[snapback]69973[/snapback]
[/quote]

Bob did do a cameo on one of the Game Show host weeks on H2. They did try to get him to be a square that week IIRC. Bob and the gang did a COmbs Feud TPIR/Y&R appearance the year after Dian went bye-bye(notable in that Bob mentioned, during the first Bullseye face-off, Doug Davidson's upcoming tenure on TNPIR94)
[snapback]69984[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thank God, Zach wrote that instead of me.  I sure don't want to be like Zach.  But, yeah, I saw it.

GS Warehouse

2004 Cheers & Jeers
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2005, 01:48:05 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 5 2005, 07:56 AM\']Bob did do a cameo on one of the Game Show host weeks on H2. ...
[snapback]69984[/snapback]
[/quote]
A sentence I thought I'd never hear someone Bob's age say: "As if!"

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
2004 Cheers & Jeers
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2005, 04:40:15 PM »
Karn has lasted 3 seasons so far.
Louie may have lasted 3 seasons on Feud, but he clearly wasn't the best host for the job.
You just shot a hole in your own argument.

Saying "Richard Karn isn't as bad as so-and-so" doesn't confer any redeeming qualities on him.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 04:45:27 PM by chris319 »