Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Uncomfortable moments with losing contestants?  (Read 21095 times)

cmjb13

Uncomfortable moments with losing contestants?
« on: December 02, 2004, 06:59:13 AM »
After seeing Ken's gracious exit, were there any times where an uncomfortable incident occurred (refused to leave, didn't take losing well, etc)
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

zachhoran

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 07:38:52 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 06:59 AM\']After seeing Ken's gracious exit, were there any times where an uncomfortable incident occurred (refused to leave, didn't take losing well, etc)
[snapback]65777[/snapback]
[/quote]

We reported in ATGS about kids who cried upon losing on Runaround and on Fun House. Heatter-Quigley apparently awarded the contestant who cried on Runaround the prize anyway.

inturnaround

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 07:52:46 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 06:59 AM\']After seeing Ken's gracious exit, were there any times where an uncomfortable incident occurred (refused to leave, didn't take losing well, etc)
[/quote]

The most uncomfortable I can recall was the man on "Friend or Foe" who cursed up a storm after he lost all the money to someone who went foe to his friend. It made it on one of the MOGSM specials, too.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

goongas

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 08:24:16 AM »
The time on Syndicated Millionaire when they showd a surprised and shocked look on Merle Glickman's face when she lost the question on Kaula Lampour (sp?).  They didn't show her telling Meredith off.  I was in the studio audience to see it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 11:48:44 AM by goongas »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 08:32:48 AM »
Andy Kaufman on DG.  Funnee stuff.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 09:32:17 AM »
Felix Unger on "Password".

Oh...you mean something that WASN'T scripted!  How about that lady on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" who blew the $500,000 question on the answer "Tonga" (sorry, can't remember her name).  That episode has been run on GSN.  The uncomfortable part is that she was very upset, walked off the stage in a bit of a huff and didn't even want to talk to her husband.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

goongas

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004, 11:55:14 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 10:32 AM\']Felix Unger on "Password".

Oh...you mean something that WASN'T scripted!  How about that lady on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" who blew the $500,000 question on the answer "Tonga" (sorry, can't remember her name).  That episode has been run on GSN.  The uncomfortable part is that she was very upset, walked off the stage in a bit of a huff and didn't even want to talk to her husband.
[snapback]65795[/snapback]
[/quote]

Her name was Kati Knudsen, the gold standard for an uncomfortable exit.

JMFabiano

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2004, 01:50:58 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 07:52 AM\'][quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 06:59 AM\']After seeing Ken's gracious exit, were there any times where an uncomfortable incident occurred (refused to leave, didn't take losing well, etc)
[/quote]

The most uncomfortable I can recall was the man on "Friend or Foe" who cursed up a storm after he lost all the money to someone who went foe to his friend. It made it on one of the MOGSM specials, too.
[snapback]65780[/snapback]
[/quote]

And if you can mention that, can we add Jim Hess too (though you'd need good ears to allow that to qualify, I suppose)?
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

whewfan

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2004, 02:03:13 PM »
There was a young lady on CBS TJW named Isa that cried when she lost. Jack tried to pretend nothing was happening, other than to say "I can see you're a little upset" and reminded her she still won prizes.

There was a lady on Blockbusters, who was part of the family pair. Her answer was not accepted, because her pronunciation was WAY off, but when they said "no", she looked visibly pissed off, giving the producers an evil eye, and looked very angry when they lost.

On MG 90, during Halloween week, there was a contestant that gave the answer "lubricant", but the answer "oil" was not accepted (because lubricant was a general answer, and oil was more specific) but most of the panel said oil. He looked upset, but Ross explained they couldn't match general answers with specific ones. (Using the logic of matching "food" with any food the panel might mention)

On one ep. of TPIR, there was a guy that showed no interest at all when he was called on down, and his demeanor was no different when he lost on Hole in One, and later won the showcase.

On another TPIR, there was a 10 Chances player that cursed when she got a price wrong. Bob laughed and said "I'm glad have the mike, because I heard what you said!"

On The All New LMAD, there was a lady dressed as a clown. She was offered 500 dollars or a curtain, and sensing there was something better than 500 dollars, chose the curtain, and got zonked with 3 pigs. Monty saw she was upset and tried to console her. At the end of the show, Monty approached her and asked her 3 very simple questions about the 3 little pigs, and she ended up winning 300 dollars. She was happy after that.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2004, 02:07:02 PM »
[/quote]
I'm not sure if it was shown on air; but apparently after a taping of Joker, Joker, Joker a kid started to cry after he lost--and Jack gave him the prizes.

Bull if you ask me, he deserved the case of Free-Z-Pops just as much as the next guy.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 02:07:19 PM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2004, 02:56:25 PM »
Just thought of another one: Herb Stemple.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

DJDustman

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2004, 03:01:22 PM »
Dawn McKellar, in the early NBC SOTC run, was going for a $99,000 jackpot, when she lost by $2.   You can tell she was tearing and ready to burst crying.

vtown7

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2004, 03:23:27 PM »

I was home sick yesterday and watched FoF... and the guy who got shafted out of his share of nearly $10K was not a happy camper.  The guy who went Foe?  The infamous "Hollywood Dave"...

Oh and I'll vouch for Fun House crying too... when I chatted to Pat Sharp (the UK host) a few years ago, he said that was about the only problem there was with the show.

Cheers,

Ryan :)

uncamark

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2004, 04:21:54 PM »
[quote name=\'goongas\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 11:55 AM\'][quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 10:32 AM\']Felix Unger on "Password".

Oh...you mean something that WASN'T scripted!  How about that lady on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" who blew the $500,000 question on the answer "Tonga" (sorry, can't remember her name).  That episode has been run on GSN.  The uncomfortable part is that she was very upset, walked off the stage in a bit of a huff and didn't even want to talk to her husband.
[snapback]65795[/snapback]
[/quote]

Her name was Kati Knudsen, the gold standard for an uncomfortable exit.
[snapback]65797[/snapback]
[/quote]

Wasn't she the one who spent an inordinate amount of time on her decision while Regis fought with his inclination to wring her by the neck?

zachhoran

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2004, 07:41:29 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Dec 2 2004, 02:03 PM\']
On one ep. of TPIR, there was a guy that showed no interest at all when he was called on down, and his demeanor was no different when he lost on Hole in One, and later won the showcase.

[snapback]65802[/snapback]
[/quote]

There was a man on TPIR on Columbus Day 1999 who won a Cadillac in 3 Strikes and then $11k in the SCSD and acted like he didn't know what was going on.