Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: UK Game Shows  (Read 6298 times)

dscungio

UK Game Shows
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2003, 10:43:22 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jul 21 2003, 09:05 AM\'][quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Jul 21 2003, 01:29 AM\']Has anyone ever considered doing a US Countdown? (Or is there one that I'm not aware of that had already been done?)

[/quote]
(raises hand)

Oh, you meant a US Countdown based on the UK version...oops ;-)

Seriously, I don't think the US has the attention span for such a show.  Besides, some producer would find a way to screw it up with a big money format, Jerry Springer audience, and a way to screw over your opponent. :-P[/quote]
I agree that the U.S. audience would not have the attention span for such a show.  But I also think that the show is too \"cerebral\" for the average American.  In the Letters Game, most of the viewers at home would only be able to create 4-letter words while the contestants in the studio are easily pulling out 7- or 8-letter words.  Also, math scares people.  The Numbers Game would be a killer.

The only way I could see Countdown coming to the U.S. is if it aired on PBS or something, but I don't see that happening.

Dean Scungio
dscungio@worldnet.att.net (dscungio@worldnet.att.net)
AIM & Y!: dascungio (Note the \"a\"!)

\"It's not how much we give away,
it's the way we do it.\" -Monty Hall

uncamark

UK Game Shows
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2003, 03:21:52 PM »
Also, math scares people.  The Numbers Game would be a killer.

Well, if you had a hot babe with a gift for working out mathematical problems in her head without pencil, paper, calculator or cue cards, you could have an up there.  Unfortunately, I don't know how many other Carol Vordermans there are in this world.  :)

Seriously, though, that's one reason why \"Countdown\" has been the success that it is in the *UK*--\"Les Lettres et Les Chiffres,\" the French series \"Countdown\" is based on, was known for being notoriously dry.  Such little things like the catchy think music cue, the celebs in the Dictionary Corner, the brainy and beautiful sidekick and Richard Whiteley's bad puns have endeared the show to Brits in a way that a straightforward version like the French show would not.  Unfortunately, I don't think anyone nowadays would trust Americans to be smarter--until a show came along that could break the mold.  The question is--would any U.S. TV execs have the nerve to put a \"Countdown\" on their air?

vtown7

UK Game Shows
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2003, 09:33:42 PM »
Des Chiffres et Des Lettres...

the French series \"Countdown\" is based on, was known for being notoriously dry. \"

As much as I hate to admit it, it's true.  But, that being said, the French, along with \"Pyramide\", have clubs that play these two games on a weekly basis in cities across the nation.  I was part of the Strasbourg club for \"Des Chiffres et Des Lettres\" and although it's a fun game, it clearly skews 35 +.  I can vouch for this - you should have seen the looks on half a dozen faces when I walked in one Tuesday night in October 2001 and brightened their evening.  I had so much fun, I came back weekly for the next eight months :)

It's a great vocabulary builder too!  So much in fact that the few times I've seen \"Countdown\" I have serious problems with the letters game...

Cheers,

Ryan V.

PS - And to contribute to the last poster, I can't picture Countdown showing up anytime soon unfortunately, unless someone gets the rights to the Channel 4 reruns.  And speaking of Channel 4, I hear William G. Stewart is retiring 15-1 (credit where it's due: Y! UKGS List)

dzinkin

UK Game Shows
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2003, 09:48:58 PM »
Countdown is the name of Keith Olbermann's program on MSNBC.  (I would say I watch it, but if I did, Zinkin would come after me. j/k)

Nope... been watching a lot more MSNBC these days myself, actually. :-)

- David

inturnaround

UK Game Shows
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2003, 12:21:14 PM »
Well, I'm out. (I know, I know...how can you miss me if I won't go away?) Hehee.

Thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully I'll have enough time to watch some of them. I'll be back in early August!

Joe Coughlin
http://jcoughlin.livejournal.com
http://www.unrealisticexpectations.com
Joe Coughlin     
Human