Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Anybody remember Paul Lynde on mid-70's Pyramid?  (Read 2994 times)

AmazingErikZ

Anybody remember Paul Lynde on mid-70's Pyramid?
« on: November 24, 2004, 02:44:34 PM »
First, I have to say it's great to be back in this forum! This past June, every time I tried to get in, I kept getting "page not found" and I've been looking for this site since.

Anyway, now that I'm back my first new topic is about Hollywood Squares' Paul Lynde on 1975 Pyramid. Although the eps are gone forever, I'd like to know if anyone knows what he was like on it.

The Pyramids

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 03:57:45 PM »
You're saying he defintely was on it?

uncamark

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 04:10:28 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Nov 24 2004, 03:57 PM\']You're saying he defintely was on it?
[snapback]64763[/snapback]
[/quote]

He was--I'm pretty sure I saw him on it.  However, I can't really remember what his game-playing ability was, which probably meant that he was simply competent (you tend to remember only the really clueless, like Jimmie "J.J. Kid Dyn-O-Mite" Walker, or the really good).

Or if you're Dick Cavett, you're known on "Pyramid" just for giving Dick Clark hell all the time.

pyrfan

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 06:34:13 PM »
According to some reliable sources, Paul won 10K at least once that week in January 1975 for one of his contestant partners. The contestant gave the clues to Paul. Apparently, that win was featured in the opening montage for a while.

As long as we're on the subject, if anyone remembers who his opponent was for that week, please let me know. TV Guide lists Marcia Wallace, but the info is almost certainly erroneous.

Brendan

AmazingErikZ

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2004, 02:08:35 PM »
[quote name=\'pyrfan\' date=\'Nov 24 2004, 06:34 PM\']According to some reliable sources, Paul won 10K at least once that week in January 1975 for one of his contestant partners. The contestant gave the clues to Paul. Apparently, that win was featured in the opening montage for a while.

As long as we're on the subject, if anyone remembers who his opponent was for that week, please let me know. TV Guide lists Marcia Wallace, but the info is almost certainly erroneous.

Brendan
[snapback]64771[/snapback]
[/quote]Yes, it was Marcia Wallace. It happened the week of January 13-17, 1975.

Oh, I just learned some fantastic Pyramid trivia! The highest tie-breaker outcome in Pyramid history was 45-44! It happened on July 4, 1975 and the celebs were Lucie Arnaz & Anson "Potsie Weber" Williams. Who'd ever think it could get THAT high?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2004, 02:57:06 PM »
[quote name=\'AmazingErikZ\' date=\'Nov 25 2004, 12:08 PM\']Oh, I just learned some fantastic Pyramid trivia! The highest tie-breaker outcome in Pyramid history was 45-44! It happened on July 4, 1975 and the celebs were Lucie Arnaz & Anson "Potsie Weber" Williams. Who'd ever think it could get THAT high?
[snapback]64847[/snapback]
[/quote]
So you figure it was decided in the fourth tiebreaker. Wow.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TwoInchQuad

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2004, 03:46:51 AM »
For the life of me, I can't remember who the celebs were (though I'm thinking it's either Dave Letterman and Sandy Duncan) but GSN has shown an episode of "Pyramid" that had a score that was fairly close to that-- I'm fairly sure that both final scores were in the 40's.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2004, 04:14:05 AM »
Thank goodness Pyramid modified its tiebreaker format to save time or we might've seen more scores in the high 20's 30's & maybe 1 or 2 40's scores.

zachhoran

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2004, 08:10:36 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Nov 26 2004, 04:14 AM\']Thank goodness Pyramid modified its tiebreaker format to save time or we might've seen more scores in the high 20's 30's & maybe 1 or 2 40's scores.
[snapback]64934[/snapback]
[/quote]

It should be noted that the Osmond Pyramid didn't reset the scores during a tiebreaker as the 1982-91 versions did. If the two teams played to more than one tiebreaker, only one was shown on air.

pyrfan

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2004, 03:20:10 PM »
Erik, did you see this week when it aired? I ask because I have reason to doubt that it was Marcia on the show that week. We talked about it on the board a while ago. Here's what I said then:

1. Marcia was not listed in the 1987 list of celebs that "Pyramid" showed for their 15th anniversary. Granted, though, many other stars were conspicuously absent from that list.

2. Marcia also was not on a list of celebs who had been on "Pyramid" that appeared in a 1976 Variety ad celebrating the show's Emmy win.

3. On her 1987 appearance on the 25K, Marcia herself said that she had never done the game before, calling herself a "Pyramid virgin."

Brendan

Jay Temple

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2004, 11:00:45 PM »
[quote name=\'TwoInchQuad\' date=\'Nov 26 2004, 02:46 AM\']For the life of me, I can't remember who the celebs were (though I'm thinking it's either Dave Letterman and Sandy Duncan) but GSN has shown an episode of "Pyramid" that had a score that was fairly close to that-- I'm fairly sure that both final scores were in the 40's.
[snapback]64933[/snapback]
[/quote]
That would be Sandy Duncan and Nipsey Russell, in 1978.  That show and the next day's are available on the trading circuit.  (The second show starts in the Winner's Circle with the winner of game 2.)
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.