Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 10 AM and 4 PM pre-emptions  (Read 11399 times)

zachhoran

10 AM and 4 PM pre-emptions
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2004, 08:01:29 AM »
[quote name=\'tmq800\' date=\'Nov 12 2004, 11:11 PM\'](tons of overquoting deleted -- DZ)

KYW started preempting the 12:30 pm slot for syndicated game shows in 1983 w/Card Sharks, followed in 1984 by the first season of Jeopardy! (how could I forget this!!!!), then the following year, LMAD, and in May 1986, the $1 Million COAL.  Then in Sept. 1987, High Rollers debuted in that slot.  But I can't remember anything after 1988.
[snapback]63729[/snapback]
[/quote]

The CS reruns originally aired at 11:30 AM from Summer 1982-April 1983(meaning KYW preempted HIt Man for CS). The 12:30PM schedule on KYW from 9/88-9/95 included Super Password, a short-lived Syndie show called Can THis Marriage Be Saved?, Generations, Faith Daniels' NBC talk show/A Closer Look, Vicki(aired from Noon-1PM), and Marilu(aired from Noon-1PM)

aaron sica

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2004, 04:13:25 PM »
[quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'Nov 13 2004, 03:06 AM\']WPVI and WNEP never seemed to clear them, even going so far as to (badly) cover the promos for them (although PVI ran the Match Game reruns in the mornings in 85?). WCAU, WDAU(now WYOU) and WBRE always seemed to clear a majority of the daytime sked in the proper timeslots (thank god BRE cleared Classic Concentration otherwise I would of never seen that... then WBRE's tower fell down and things were fuzzy for a few months.)

Ah memories!

Josh
[snapback]63732[/snapback]
[/quote]

No, WPVI and WNEP didn't. When "Family Feud" moved back to 11:30 a.m. from the noon slot in October '84, they aired "Ryan's Hope" instead, which aired at noon on the network.  That was the last noon show that WPVI aired.  WNEP didn't even seem to air the noon time slot shows even when they DIDN'T have a noon newscast...

As for 'BRE.....I remember the tower incident....Then they came back with the "Tower of Power" once they got a new one up and running...:)

ObGameShows: Greed had a tower. :)

GSWitch

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2004, 05:24:30 PM »
When I visited San Antonio, KMOL (now WOAI) was always on again-off again with NBC's daytime game shows.

1).  They favored Donahue over Card Sharks & Hollywood Squares, just like KPRC (Houston) did.

2).  Didn't have Fantasy & Match Game/Hollywood Squares due to The Waltons which KPRC also did.  It was an I-10 curse.

And of the 1983 game show bonanza that started on January 3, they only had Just Men!  (witch's bicycle cue please).

zachhoran

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2004, 07:43:38 PM »
[quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'Nov 13 2004, 03:06 AM\']
Where I grew up in PA, I was fortunate to have 2 affiliates for each network on our cable system (one from Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and one from Philly). Using no written notes and typing from my vague memory, I don't ever recall ever seeing an NBC network game on KYW (save for TTTT90 for a few months); but I think they did run "New Newlywed Game", TK's "Price" plus another show ($100K Pyramid?) as a block in the afternoons. I never saw an ABC network game ever; WPVI and WNEP never seemed to clear them, even going so far as to (badly) cover the promos for them (although PVI ran the Match Game reruns in the mornings in 85?). WCAU, WDAU(now WYOU) and WBRE always seemed to clear a majority of the daytime sked in the proper timeslots (thank god BRE cleared Classic Concentration otherwise I would of never seen that... then WBRE's tower fell down and things were fuzzy for a few months.)

Josh
[snapback]63732[/snapback]
[/quote]

KYW did air some NBC network game shows. The show they shorted the most, at least in the 80s, was $otC, showing only eight months of the six year run. They also never aired Classic Concentration save for a bit of 1992, when CC was in straight reruns. NBC WOF aired on KYW for most of its run, for it's last 4.5 years in the afternoon. Scrabble 80s and Super Password were on in the afternoon for four and three years of their run. WPHL aired Chain Reaction in 1980, and WTAF aired Blockbusters and LV Gambit for part of their run, plus aired Time Machine, Your NUmber's Up, and part of Caesar's Challenge run. KYW did have an afternoon GS block from September 1984-January 1990, including the aforementioned network shows at various times($otC aired from Jan-Sep 1985 in this block). Syndie shows in the block included: LMAD84-85, Lange NTT, New Newlywed, Davidson HS, Kennedy TPIR, $100K Pyramid, 3rd Degree, and Jackpot 89.

WPVI never aired reruns of Syndie MG after 1982, but did air it against TPIR from 1980-82. They didn't clear any ABC daytime games after June 1983, but those at the Jersey Shore got to see all the later ABC games on WMGM(NBC in Atlantic City), save for MG90.

aaron sica

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2004, 11:06:28 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Nov 13 2004, 07:43 PM\']NBC WOF aired on KYW for most of its run, for it's last 4.5 years in the afternoon.

WPVI never aired reruns of Syndie MG after 1982, but did air it against TPIR from 1980-82. They didn't clear any ABC daytime games after June 1983, but those at the Jersey Shore got to see all the later ABC games on WMGM(NBC in Atlantic City), save for MG90.
[snapback]63769[/snapback]
[/quote]

Actually, Zach, here's two little tidbits:

KYW sometime in 1991, stopped airing TTTT and started airing WoF at 11:30, as per some TVG's I have.

And in the summer of '83, once "Loving" premiered and WPVI went with it at 11:30, (then) WTAF aired Family Feud at noon. I'm hoping you know, because I'm curious - was it with the network feed or on some sort of delay?

Don Howard

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2004, 12:09:19 AM »
WKYC-TV, the NBC owned station in Cleveland, rolled all the daytime networks game shows because they were an O & O.
WEWS-TV, the ABC affiliate owned by Scripps-Howard, was very bad about clearing daytime network game shows. They also stopped showing The Edge Of Night as of 1977.
They ran the three-show afternoon game block in 1976 and ran the 12noon program (Let's Make A Deal later Hot Seat later The Don Ho Show) delayed at 10:30am the next weekday until they plopped Donahue in from 10-11am following The Morning Exchange starring Fred Griffith, Joel Rose and Liz Richards, who at the time was married to wife-beater Gary Dee.
When The $20,000 Pyramid moved to noon on ABC, that was the end of it on TV-5. When Family Feud moved to noon on ABC, that was the end of it on TV-5. Even if ABC programmed a soap opera for noon, TV-5 would delay it and refused to run the 11am or 11:30am game show in daytime. This means Second Chance, The Better Sex, Trivia Trap, All-Star Blitz, Bruce Forsyth's Hot Streak and Match Game '9x never beamed on Cleveland TV.
Never forgave 'em for that. Bums.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2004, 12:20:38 AM by Don Howard »

Ian Wallis

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2004, 01:13:27 PM »
WJW-TV, later WJKW-TV from 1977-85 and back to WJW-TV in 1985, the CBS affiliate in Cleveland until it became the first of the New World-owned stations to switch networks to FOX in 1994, had a warped daytime schedule of the Tiffany Network's programs during the middle 1970s.

I'm wondering why a station would possibly go to all the trouble of airing so many shows out of order?  When networks schedule these shows, don't they do some research to determine which slots they'd work better in?  It just seems like more trouble than it's worth to air so many shows on tape-delay - what possible benefit could they get from it?  Were the ratings really that much better in Cleveland as a result of it?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

aaron sica

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2004, 03:17:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Nov 14 2004, 01:13 PM\']I'm wondering why a station would possibly go to all the trouble of airing so many shows out of order?  When networks schedule these shows, don't they do some research to determine which slots they'd work better in?  It just seems like more trouble than it's worth to air so many shows on tape-delay - what possible benefit could they get from it?  Were the ratings really that much better in Cleveland as a result of it?
[snapback]63807[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'd like to know what the ratings in Philly were like - that's the first place I ever saw an out-of-kilter network lineup where Scrabble aired at 3, SP at 3:30, and WoF at 4. I often wondered what was so special about those three game shows that they were "picked" to air in the afternoon ($otC, for example, did not).

Good thing KYW still doesn't keep up those practices, even though they're now CBS.....TPiR would air at like 3 in the afternoon. :)

zachhoran

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2004, 07:22:25 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Nov 14 2004, 03:17 PM\']
I'd like to know what the ratings in Philly were like - that's the first place I ever saw an out-of-kilter network lineup where Scrabble aired at 3, SP at 3:30, and WoF at 4. I often wondered what was so special about those three game shows that they were "picked" to air in the afternoon ($otC, for example, did not).

[snapback]63813[/snapback]
[/quote]

NBC $otC DID air from Jan-Sep 1985 at 3PM on KYW(syndie version never aired in Philly). WPXI in Pittsburgh aired daytime WOF in the afternoon in the mid 80s, and aired Super Password prior to Noon on two different occasions(1984-85 at 11AM and again for part of 1987 at 9AM)

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2004, 07:57:58 PM »
I've got an interesting 4pm preemption which involved an ABC O&O preempting a game show for a show then on CBS!  In the fall of 75, "The Edge of Night" was slated to move from the tiffany network to the alphabet net.  However, WJBK Channel 2, the then-Storer-owned CBS affil, decided to drop the soap a few weeks before the move.  WXYZ, an ABC O&O on Channel 7 bumped the lame-duck YDS'75 to show the CBS EONs (delayed from 2:30) at 4 which otherwise would not have cleared Motown.  Of course in December, EON would join the full ABC net at 4, but Channel 7 didn't even show YDS on a db during that time.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2004, 08:01:31 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

trainman

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2004, 01:13:21 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Nov 14 2004, 12:17 PM\']I'd like to know what the ratings in Philly were like - that's the first place I ever saw an out-of-kilter network lineup where Scrabble aired at 3, SP at 3:30, and WoF at 4. I often wondered what was so special about those three game shows that they were "picked" to air in the afternoon ($otC, for example, did not).

Good thing KYW still doesn't keep up those practices, even though they're now CBS.....TPiR would air at like 3 in the afternoon. :)
[snapback]63813[/snapback]
[/quote]

In the fall of 1999, KCBS moved TPiR to 3:00 so they could air Dr. Joy Browne at 10:00.  Apparently, it didn't help the ratings for either show.
trainman is a man of trains

aaron sica

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2004, 07:24:33 AM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' date=\'Nov 15 2004, 01:13 AM\']In the fall of 1999, KCBS moved TPiR to 3:00 so they could air Dr. Joy Browne at 10:00.  Apparently, it didn't help the ratings for either show.
[snapback]63856[/snapback]
[/quote]

That I do remember.....Having possessed satellite TV at the time, it was neat to be able to watch TPiR at 6pm (EST).

Ian Wallis

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2004, 09:01:12 AM »
I've got an interesting 4pm preemption which involved an ABC O&O preempting a game show for a show then on CBS! In the fall of 75, "The Edge of Night" was slated to move from the tiffany network to the alphabet net.

The very first episode of "The Edge of Night" on ABC was a 90-minute special starting at 3 p.m. - which no doubt caused major headaches for the stations that normally pre-empted the show at 4.  WKBW, for example, aired a special "Commander Tom" children's show on that Monday, and ran the 90-minute "Edge of Night" at 10 the next morning, pre-empting "Donahue".

As earlier mentioned, "Edge" replaced "You Don't Say" on ABC.  One of the episodes in the trade curcuit mentioned that they'd have kids playing during Christmas week, something they apparantly did in the NBC days.  Too bad they never got to that week before they were cancelled.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!