The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Opinion On TPIR's Showcase Ending

(1/3) > >>

Diggity Dawg:
I'm assuming this topic's been discussed here a gazillion times, but I'm fairly new here...& I'd like to hear the thoughts of all you game show experts on this topic :

It's my opinion that the Showcase would be better day in & day out if the \"without going over\" stipulation was removed from player's bids. It would take care of double over-bids, & people wouldn't be \"punished\" for coming very, very close but being over by a small amount of $$$ . I saw an episode the other day where someone was juuuuuuuuuuust over, & the other person won by being off by a LOT ( $5000 or so ) . I've watched the show on & off for probably about 25-30 years, & this has always bugged me. lol.

So what's the general opinion on this?

Kevin Prather:
terrible idea, imo. not being allowed to go over leaves the contestant needing to be careful with his/her bid. this helps add to the enjoyability* of the show, for me, at least.

* = is enjoyability a word?

BrandonFG:
[quote name=\'Diggity Dawg\' date=\'Jul 19 2003, 08:20 PM\'] It's my opinion that the Showcase would be better day in & day out if the "without going over" stipulation was removed from player's bids. It would take care of double over-bids, & people wouldn't be "punished" for coming very, very close but being over by a small amount of $$$ . I saw an episode the other day where someone was juuuuuuuuuuust over, & the other person won by being off by a LOT ( $5000 or so ) . I've watched the show on & off for probably about 25-30 years, & this has always bugged me. lol.
 [/quote]
 If you're over, you're over. The rule has always been \"closest bid without going over wins\", since the 1950s. That's the rule of Contestant's Row, and it's the rule of the Showcase, not to mention the Showcase Showdown. To add this rule for the sake of being nice screws up the flow.

clemon79:
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jul 19 2003, 06:29 PM\'] If you're over, you're over. [/quote]
 What they said. The danger of trying to bid close is that you might go over. That's why you win both showcases if you can do it. There are about four million games on the show that similarly punish you for going over even a little, it's a basic tenet of the show.

Besides, what's more satisfying that seeing someone go for the One-Dollar Gambit in the Showcase and pulling it off?

Matt Ottinger:
The *original* point of the \"not going over\" business, back when Bob Stewart thought he was making a game that was as mentally challenging an exercise as the rest of his shows, was that if you bid more than a prize was worth, you didn't deserve to win because it meant you weren't a very good shopper.  

Obviously that's no longer an issue, and yes, the rule is a leftover relic from a much earlier time.   But it -- and the double overbids -- are part of the lore and the lure of the show.  TPIR has no need to change it, and since it takes them forever to get around to changing things they actually DO need to change, I wouldn't be holding my breath for this one to get overturned.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version