Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Money Maze Recollections-Nick Clooney  (Read 9470 times)

Tim L

Money Maze Recollections-Nick Clooney
« on: October 29, 2004, 03:23:50 PM »
Below is a link to an article by Nick Clooney, Cincinnati Newsman and Talk Show host, currently host of Goodlife TV.  Describing in brief his experience hosting "Money Maze" for ABC in 1974-75 via a 1998 Cincinnati Post column..

http://www.cincypost.com/living/1998/cloon072298.html

Tim Lones

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 03:48:02 PM »
Not everyone approved. A New York critic moaned, ''I have now seen the beginning of the end of Western civilization. Grown people running around like rats in a maze, just to collect money.
Wow. If only HE knew.

It's a shame, you get the vibe that he has the same negative feelings about the experience that Chuck Henry allegedly does about NYSI '89.

I've been privileged enough to work with some people who are very aware of the fact that even though all they are doing on TV is rising out of a crypt to play a crappy Dracula knock-off on the All-Night Phantasmic Pheature, there are people at the other end of that TV signal who would love to have their job for but a single day. It's unfortunate that those people are few and far between in the business, tho.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 04:15:37 PM »
Nick gives the impression that he was the one who had to put up and take down that big set.

I saw the "Money Maze" episode at the Museum of TV in NYC not terribly long ago. From that and my hazy memory of it, it may have been dumb, but it wasn't the worst way to kill half an hour. (That would be "Access Hollywood.")

Tim L

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2004, 04:27:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Oct 29 2004, 04:15 PM\']Nick gives the impression that he was the one who had to put up and take down that big set.

I saw the "Money Maze" episode at the Museum of TV in NYC not terribly long ago. From that and my hazy memory of it, it may have been dumb, but it wasn't the worst way to kill half an hour. (That would be "Access Hollywood.")
[snapback]62381[/snapback]
[/quote]

I don't think he necessarily hated it..It was just something he tried and found out it wasnt for him is all..Like a lot of enterainers find out that while they might do well in one medium/format another does'nt suit them as well..

Tim Lones

byrd62

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 08:22:05 PM »
....Nick Clooney, Cincinnati Newsman and Talk Show host, currently host of Goodlife TV....

Nick is now running for Congressman from Kentucky's 4th District.

www.clooneyforcongress.com

davemackey

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004, 11:22:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Tim L\' date=\'Oct 29 2004, 03:23 PM\']Below is a link to an article by Nick Clooney, Cincinnati Newsman and Talk Show host, currently host of Goodlife TV.  Describing in brief his experience hosting "Money Maze" for ABC in 1974-75 via a 1998 Cincinnati Post column..

Tim Lones
[snapback]62370[/snapback]
[/quote]
This is old news and most of us had already read this.

Nevertheless, here's an article, of a little more recent vintage, in which Mark Evanier talks about a George Clooney appearance on Letterman on which he mentioned his Dad's show...

Tim L

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2004, 01:49:42 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Oct 29 2004, 11:22 PM\'][quote name=\'Tim L\' date=\'Oct 29 2004, 03:23 PM\']Below is a link to an article by Nick Clooney, Cincinnati Newsman and Talk Show host, currently host of Goodlife TV.  Describing in brief his experience hosting "Money Maze" for ABC in 1974-75 via a 1998 Cincinnati Post column..

Tim Lones
[snapback]62370[/snapback]
[/quote]
This is old news and most of us had already read this.

Nevertheless, here's an article, of a little more recent vintage, in which Mark Evanier talks about a George Clooney appearance on Letterman on which he mentioned his Dad's show...
[snapback]62421[/snapback]
[/quote]

Dave:
That's cool..I had just found it myself..Thought maybe it would be interesting to those who didnt read it is all..

calliaume

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2004, 10:58:44 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Oct 29 2004, 10:22 PM\']This is old news and most of us had already read this.
[/quote]

I'm late to the chain, but I was going to say this link has been on my web site for at least three years.

opimus

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2004, 12:41:42 PM »
Did anybody ever win big prize. When ever I watched the runner always ran out of time.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2004, 01:11:37 PM »
[quote name=\'opimus\' date=\'Oct 31 2004, 12:41 PM\']Did anybody ever win big prize. When ever I watched the runner always ran out of time.
[snapback]62549[/snapback]
[/quote]
Many times, and it sure was  exciting to watch.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Don Howard

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2004, 02:54:45 PM »
[quote name=\'opimus\' date=\'Oct 31 2004, 12:41 PM\']Did anybody ever win big prize. When ever I watched the runner always ran out of time.
[snapback]62549[/snapback]
[/quote]
Wasn't there one episode where the $10K was won twice because of a tie score and both couples were eligible to lap around the labyrinth?

MCArroyo1

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2004, 03:08:23 PM »
[quote name=\'opimus\' date=\'Oct 31 2004, 01:41 PM\']Did anybody ever win big prize. When ever I watched the runner always ran out of time.[/quote]
Yeah.  In fact, the Museum of TV & Radio's lone available episode showed clips of past wins during the show's opening.  Not sure if they did this for every episode, though.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2004, 03:08:58 PM by MCArroyo1 »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2004, 03:17:31 PM »
[quote name=\'MCArroyo1\' date=\'Oct 31 2004, 03:08 PM\'][quote name=\'opimus\' date=\'Oct 31 2004, 01:41 PM\']Did anybody ever win big prize. When ever I watched the runner always ran out of time.[/quote]
Yeah.  In fact, the Museum of TV & Radio's lone available episode showed clips of past wins during the show's opening.  Not sure if they did this for every episode, though.
[snapback]62567[/snapback]
[/quote] Thank goodness the show amused Andy Warhol enough to record it.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Winkfan

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2004, 05:32:23 PM »
Wasn't there one episode where the $10K was won twice because of a tie score and both couples were eligible to lap around the labyrinth?

Right on, Don! It just happened to be the very first MM episode! (I should know; the day MM premiered was my first day of Christmas vacation from junior high.) I don't know if it happened more than once though; like other kids under eighteen at the time, school kept me from faithful viewing.

BTW, about Nick Clooney running for Congress, I've been thinking, "What's next? Wayne Cox running for Prime Minister of Canada?!?!" I can just hear him starting his campaign speeches with "And I put this in quotes....."

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--[color=\"orange\"]the 'Lynda Day George of the Big Board!'[/color]
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 03:41:55 PM by Winkfan »
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2004, 07:22:17 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Oct 30 2004, 10:58 PM\'][quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Oct 29 2004, 10:22 PM\']This is old news and most of us had already read this.[/quote]I'm late to the chain, but I was going to say this link has been on my web site for at least three years.[/quote]And on the Compendium for as long as there's been a Compendium.  Still, people discover things in their own time.  It's a nifty article.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.