Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wink Martindale's Personailty  (Read 3533 times)

gamed121683

Wink Martindale's Personailty
« on: October 19, 2004, 09:48:56 PM »
This might be an odd maybe controversial question but I'll bring it up anyway. I've been reading some posts here, checking out some websites and hearing things about Wink Martindale's perosnality. I've heard that his style is "cheesy, corny, over the top, flashy, sterotypical game show host" and the like. Now I am aware that it's all opinion but why do some of you feel this way? I never found old Winston to be "cheesy, corny" etc.  I saw him as likeable, charming in screen personailty who liked to tell a bunch of bad jokes, but that's just me.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 10:19:08 PM »
[quote name=\'gamed121683\' date=\'Oct 19 2004, 06:48 PM\']I've heard that his style is "cheesy, corny, over the top, flashy, sterotypical game show host" and the like. Now I am aware that it's all opinion but why do some of you feel this way? I never found old Winston to be "cheesy, corny" etc.
[snapback]61436[/snapback]
[/quote]
Because it's, um, true? There's a reason they tapped him for Debt.
I saw him as likeable, charming in screen personailty who liked to tell a bunch of bad jokes, but that's just me.
"Cheesy" and "corny" <> "dislikable" or "charming"

He's an entertaining enough fellow, but the slow buildups along the line of "if you answer this correctly, you'll have Tic Tac Dough and a grand total of Eleventy Billion Dollars" along with the overexcited "You got it!" is the very textbook definition of cheesy.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 10:43:51 PM »
the slow buildups along the line of "if you answer this correctly, you'll have Tic Tac Dough and a grand total of Eleventy Billion Dollars" along with the overexcited "You got it!" is the very textbook definition of cheesy.
It's the very textbook definition of Dan Enright.

Neumms

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 11:01:56 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Oct 19 2004, 09:43 PM\']
the slow buildups along the line of "if you answer this correctly, you'll have Tic Tac Dough and a grand total of Eleventy Billion Dollars" along with the overexcited "You got it!" is the very textbook definition of cheesy.
It's the very textbook definition of Dan Enright.
[snapback]61444[/snapback]
[/quote]

Winston did do the slow buildups less annoyingly than the more senior Jack Barry. It is, however, hard to defend a guy named Wink against a charge of cheesyness.

Johnissoevil

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 05:07:33 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 19 2004, 09:19 PM\']He's an entertaining enough fellow, but the slow buildups along the line of "if you answer this correctly, you'll have Tic Tac Dough and a grand total of Eleventy Billion Dollars" along with the overexcited "You got it!" is the very textbook definition of cheesy.
[snapback]61438[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hey, at least he was more tolerable than Patrick "YOU WIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNN!" Wayne. :-)
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 10:25:57 AM »
TV Guide had this funny exchange for TTD in their 84 game show host issue:
Wink: Name this James Bond movie from the summer of '83.

Contestant: The summer of '83?

Wink: No, the answer is "Octopussy."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 11:46:54 AM »
[quote name=\'Johnissoevil\' date=\'Oct 22 2004, 02:07 AM\']Hey, at least he was more tolerable than Patrick "YOU WIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNN!" Wayne. :-)
[snapback]61654[/snapback]
[/quote]
Which was not the point of the discussion at all.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TimK2003

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 07:57:21 PM »
[quote name=\'gamed121683\' date=\'Oct 19 2004, 08:48 PM\']Now I am aware that it's all opinion but why do some of you feel this way? I never found old Winston to be "cheesy, corny" etc.  I saw him as likeable, charming in screen personailty who liked to tell a bunch of bad jokes, but that's just me.
[snapback]61436[/snapback]
[/quote]

I guess the best way to describe Wink is that if you took one attribute from nearly every game show personality of the 60's and 70's and put those traits together, you would have Wink (i.e. where he was from, eyes, hair, voice, what non game-show jobs did he hold, teeth, mannerisms, etc...).

Wink became the official stereotypical game show host of modern day game shows of the 20th century.  He was pretty much the model for the Mr. Game Show emcee doll, which pretty much spoofed him and his antics, which in a sense poked fun at most other hosts at the same time.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2004, 10:21:43 PM »
I think Bert Parks is the host Wink most closely resembles.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.