Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How I'd revive.....  (Read 3793 times)

Winkfan

How I'd revive.....
« on: October 14, 2004, 12:16:42 AM »
Since GSN has so graciously given us The Name's the Same, how would this show fare in an updated version:

HOST: Ben Stein (He'd be great hosting a panel show)
REGULAR PANEL: Melissa Peterman, Charlie Tuna, Stephanie Miller, and David Ruprecht (Alternates: Paul Boland and Chris Jagger)
FORMAT: Same as original, only award $500 for each panelist that doesn't guess right and/or runs out of questions at the end of the round. (This way, we can avoid the 'more money' syndrome)

Comments and/or flames are welcome.

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Ruta Lee of the Big Board!'
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

mystery7

How I'd revive.....
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 12:31:34 AM »
Will the the winners get checks made out by the panel like they did on the original...or will they win Ben Stein's money?

[GONG]
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 12:32:39 AM by mystery7 »

Jay Temple

How I'd revive.....
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 09:29:56 PM »
1.  If one panelist solves it before another panelist has a chance to ask any questions, that panelist does not give the contestant a check.
2.  No one gets on by having first initial "A" and a common noun for a last name.  (If that means there aren't enough people who qualify, so be it.)
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

ChuckNet

How I'd revive.....
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 10:48:54 PM »
2. No one gets on by having first initial "A" and a common noun for a last name. (If that means there aren't enough people who qualify, so be it.)

How about I for a first initial, and a common noun surname? Or will recent immigrant I. Singh have to take himself off the eligibility list? :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

mystery7

How I'd revive.....
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 11:10:54 PM »
I wouldn't allow I. I wouldn't allow U, for that matter. No offense, Chuck.

And that brings up a whole new question: what to do about people whose initials turn their names into phrases, like B. Luckey? Or C. Shore? Would players have to use their full first names? It'd limit the contestant pool but it would give the show a little less of a "one-gag bit" quality.

And who names their kid Ima these days?

tvwxman

How I'd revive.....
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2004, 06:39:04 AM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Oct 15 2004, 10:10 PM\']I wouldn't allow I. I wouldn't allow U, for that matter. No offense, Chuck.

And that brings up a whole new question: what to do about people whose initials turn their names into phrases, like B. Luckey? Or C. Shore? Would players have to use their full first names? It'd limit the contestant pool but it would give the show a little less of a "one-gag bit" quality.

And who names their kid Ima these days?
[snapback]60977[/snapback]
[/quote]

Oh, the kids with the wierd/unique names are out there....Did ya see the ESPN 25th anniversary show? They devoted an entire segment to parents who named their kids....

ESPN.

Matt (who will not be naming his kid Willard)
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Neumms

How I'd revive.....
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2004, 03:47:24 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Oct 15 2004, 10:10 PM\']

[snapback]60977[/snapback]
[/quote]

A little less of a one-gag bit? The whole show was a one-gag bit! If they can't bring back What's My Line, who would ever try this one?

The Ol' Guy

How I'd revive.....
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2004, 04:02:16 PM »
What about this - make those C. Shore, G. String, B. Flatt type names a home viewer game. Let people send a photo and their name to the producers, and after the second contestant round and just before the show ends, put up a photo, give the panel a clue, and let them in turn ask the host rapid-fire questions about the name for 60 or 75 seconds, and if the panel guesses the name, home player wins a small prize. If the panel is stumped, home player wins $100. You'll eat up some airtime that you would have to fill with that smaller pool of "legitimate" Name's The Same names (Virginia Ham), plus have an added attraction for the home viewers - seeing themselves and friends on the show. Despite the fact there's a board game with that name, you could say we're playing the "Initial Reaction home viewer game".

Kevin Prather

How I'd revive.....
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2004, 10:47:10 PM »
Would a girl named Patricia Ness be eligible? ;)

The Ol' Guy

How I'd revive.....
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2004, 11:02:12 PM »
Sure - followed by Donald Kupp. Where's one of those Kit Kats? I wanna throw it at him..... ;-)

(you're an owner of a classic National Lampoon 1964 High School Yearbook parody, perhaps?)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2004, 02:41:35 PM by The Ol' Guy »