Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: fee plugs  (Read 6357 times)

adamjk

fee plugs
« on: October 15, 2004, 11:31:48 PM »
Anyone know?

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
fee plugs
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2004, 02:14:21 AM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Oct 15 2004, 10:31 PM\']Anyone know?
[snapback]60980[/snapback]
[/quote]
They still do them on Price...care to cite a specific show or network?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

zachhoran

fee plugs
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2004, 08:04:18 AM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Oct 15 2004, 10:31 PM\']Anyone know?
[snapback]60980[/snapback]
[/quote]

It's been mentioned here recently that actual 10 or 15-second moving advertisements make better advertising than advertising on still cards these days. Besides TPIR, Balderdash and On the Cover each have one end of show fee plug on most episodes. J! and WOF have not had announcer read fee plugs in about eight years.

passwordplus

fee plugs
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2004, 12:42:51 PM »
Burton hasn't read any either on this version of Family Feud. Seems like Charlie O. didn't read many during his announcing on TJW and TTD back in the '80s. I think those were the first "non announcer" fee plugs

FeudDude

fee plugs
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2004, 01:30:54 PM »
I think I'll narrow it down and ask when Jeopardy! and Wheel stopped doing fee plugs.  I know it was sometime around the game show drought of the mid-90s, and all the game shows that came along since then have pretty much followed suit.

SamJ93

fee plugs
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2004, 01:43:52 PM »
Actually, I think the first (or at least one of the first) game shows to to mini-ads instead of feeplugs at the end was the 80s Pyramid.  I definitely recall seeing this in reruns, though probably not until the end of the run.

--Sam
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
fee plugs
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2004, 01:56:01 PM »
There was a time (around 1988 or so) where NBC game shows stopped doing fee plugs before the closing credits.  If you go back and look at the final episode of SUPER PASSWORD, for example, the only fee plug came right after the phone number bit (modified by Gene Wood for the cancellation as "If you're looking for an experienced producer, game show host or announcer. . .").  The final $otC had no fee plugs and went straight to the "following companies have furnished prizes" crawl following Perry's good-bye.

Why NBC shows at that time dropped the fee plugs I don't know (although I'm sure someone around here probably has an idea or two or ten or twenty).

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

zachhoran

fee plugs
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2004, 07:27:41 PM »
[quote name=\'passwordplus\' date=\'Oct 16 2004, 11:42 AM\']Burton hasn't read any either on this version of Family Feud. Seems like Charlie O. didn't read many during his announcing on TJW and TTD back in the '80s. I think those were the first "non announcer" fee plugs
[snapback]61016[/snapback]
[/quote]

Face the Music had the first "non announcer" plugs in 1980, for Polyglycoat and Blue Bonnet Margarine. TTD and TJW didn't start using such plugs until 1982-83 IIRC. Bullseye never used them.

zachhoran

fee plugs
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2004, 07:29:16 PM »
[quote name=\'SamJ93\' date=\'Oct 16 2004, 12:43 PM\']Actually, I think the first (or at least one of the first) game shows to to mini-ads instead of feeplugs at the end was the 80s Pyramid.  I definitely recall seeing this in reruns, though probably not until the end of the run.

--Sam
[snapback]61024[/snapback]
[/quote]

The $100K Pyramid did have mini-ads from 1985-87(save for an unnamed announcer doing the reading for an occasional still shot ad), but the 1987-88 season had announcer read fee plugs.

zachhoran

fee plugs
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2004, 07:31:42 PM »
[quote name=\'FeudDude\' date=\'Oct 16 2004, 12:30 PM\']I think I'll narrow it down and ask when Jeopardy! and Wheel stopped doing fee plugs.  I know it was sometime around the game show drought of the mid-90s, and all the game shows that came along since then have pretty much followed suit.
[snapback]61022[/snapback]
[/quote]

It was near the end of the 1995-96 season when WOF and J! stopped doing announcer-read fee plugs. Though there were still an occasional plug or two still read by the announcer for a couple years after that. Both Syndie WOF and J! started out having a combo of announcer-read fee plugs and mini-ads, but by the second season of each, only announcer-read fee plugs were done.

davemackey

fee plugs
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2004, 08:15:56 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Oct 16 2004, 01:56 PM\']Why NBC shows at that time dropped the fee plugs I don't know (although I'm sure someone around here probably has an idea or two or ten or twenty).
[snapback]61025[/snapback]
[/quote]
The rationale behind the dropping of the fee plugs was to rid the NBC daytime game shows of "clutter". This, from a network that now routinely schedules noisy in-show promo overlays two or three times a program segment.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
fee plugs
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2004, 08:42:38 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Oct 16 2004, 05:15 PM\'] This, from a network that now routinely schedules noisy in-show promo overlays two or three times a program segment.
[snapback]61056[/snapback]
[/quote]

Now really, Dave, are that all

<<<JOIN US TONIGHT FOR SOME PHAT BOARDROOM ACTION, ONLY ON "THE APPRENTICE", ONLY ON NBC!!!!!!!>>>

that intrusive? :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
fee plugs
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2004, 11:53:40 PM »
The rationale behind the dropping of the fee plugs was to rid the NBC daytime game shows of "clutter". This, from a network that now routinely schedules noisy in-show promo overlays two or three times a program segment.
In 1979 that very same network decided that, instead of six :07-second fee plugs per show, there would be seven :06-second fee plugs. I remember Ira Skutch diligently having Johnny Olson rehearse his seven plugs in :42 seconds on Mindreaders to see if Johnny was comfortable with the new timing, which he was.

BrandonFG

fee plugs
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2004, 12:14:05 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Oct 16 2004, 06:31 PM\'][quote name=\'FeudDude\' date=\'Oct 16 2004, 12:30 PM\']I think I'll narrow it down and ask when Jeopardy! and Wheel stopped doing fee plugs.  I know it was sometime around the game show drought of the mid-90s, and all the game shows that came along since then have pretty much followed suit.
[snapback]61022[/snapback]
[/quote]

It was near the end of the 1995-96 season when WOF and J! stopped doing announcer-read fee plugs. Though there were still an occasional plug or two still read by the announcer for a couple years after that. Both Syndie WOF and J! started out having a combo of announcer-read fee plugs and mini-ads, but by the second season of each, only announcer-read fee plugs were done.
[snapback]61053[/snapback]
[/quote]

BZZT! It was the beginning of the 1994-95 season.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!