Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What Is the Easiest Game Show to Emcee?  (Read 12903 times)

CaseyAbell

What Is the Easiest Game Show to Emcee?
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2004, 05:30:58 PM »
Yeah, the toughest part [on TTTT] may have been the one- or two-question interview that the host would give the central character after the voting. And Bud Collyer never even did that.
This may explain why I always liked Bud Collyer on Beat the Clock better than on TTTT (or 4T, which uses less bandwidth!)

On BtC Collyer had to actually do a lot more, which rubbed off some of the oiliness of his presentation. The show wasn't nearly as predictable and rigidly formatted as TTTT, so Bud had to react much more quickly. Kept him from going into his unctuous-announcer mode as much.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 05:32:35 PM by CaseyAbell »

Neumms

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2004, 11:38:09 AM »
On BtC Collyer had to actually do a lot more, which rubbed off some of the oiliness of his presentation. The show wasn't nearly as predictable and rigidly formatted as TTTT, so Bud had to react much more quickly. Kept him from going into his unctuous-announcer mode as much.
[snapback]60330[/snapback]
[/quote]

Of course, Bud did a bang-up job with the "God bless you, take these cigarettes" send-off.

I agree he was a lot better on BtC, but I found his "there you go, boys" still unctuous. That Sylvania had better have been some set, that's all I can say.

sotcfan2004

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2004, 03:12:07 PM »
I can't believe that nobody mentioned Card Sharks.  All you have to ask is "Higher or Lower?"  The Jim Perry card flip can easily be mastered over time.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2004, 03:30:15 PM »
[quote name=\'sotcfan2004\' date=\'Oct 11 2004, 02:12 PM\']I can't believe that nobody mentioned Card Sharks.  All you have to ask is "Higher or Lower?"  The Jim Perry card flip can easily be mastered over time.
[snapback]60413[/snapback]
[/quote]
Your telling me Blake Emmons could host Card Sharks? Right.
There's a lot more to "Higher or Lower". When $14,000 is on the line in the bonus...you have to have the ability to create suspense and drama. Many hosts couldn't do that; Perry and Rafferty did a masterful job of doing so.
While I respect the right to your opinion; I think its flat out wrong.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

tyshaun1

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2004, 03:54:01 PM »
It's all about the style of the host and his fit to the show in question. Jim Perry brought a sense of intensity and excitement to Card Sharks, whereas Bob Eubanks gave CS a light-hearted and parlor game feel, and Pat Bullard had NO style at all, which a simple game like Card Sharks needed.

Tyshaun

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2004, 04:05:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Oct 11 2004, 02:30 PM\'][quote name=\'sotcfan2004\' date=\'Oct 11 2004, 02:12 PM\']I can't believe that nobody mentioned Card Sharks.  All you have to ask is "Higher or Lower?"  The Jim Perry card flip can easily be mastered over time.
[snapback]60413[/snapback]
[/quote]
Your telling me Blake Emmons could host Card Sharks? Right.
There's a lot more to "Higher or Lower". When $14,000 is on the line in the bonus...you have to have the ability to create suspense and drama. Many hosts couldn't do that; Perry and Rafferty did a masterful job of doing so.
While I respect the right to your opinion; I think its flat out wrong.
[snapback]60414[/snapback]
[/quote]
Not only that, but Perry was a competent question-reader and came up with an occasional witty one-liner (whether it was about the question or a contestant's response, etc.).  And unless you're Alex McNeil, it was how contestants did at predicting how many out of 100 answered a certain way that got them to the board (meaning that clarity of reading a question was essential).  Even from what little I saw of Emmons' CR, I'm not sure he could pull that off on a consistent basis.

And "sotcfan2004" being a $otC fan should know how well Perry did at reading questions.

Doug
« Last Edit: October 11, 2004, 04:06:20 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

opimus

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2004, 04:06:29 PM »
I'd say Inquiztion. Just read the questions and berate the contestants.

uncamark

« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2004, 04:19:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Oct 10 2004, 01:52 PM\']While it is an easy hosting gig, I think Garry (and Joe, due to formatics) brought a little more to it.  Unlike the other versions the 1st syndie opened with a "monologue" so to speak, plus Garry really paid attention to what was being said as he would occassionally remind the characters of the game's rules.  I think the relaxed pace of the show allowed Garry to ask better post-game questions.
[snapback]60305[/snapback]
[/quote]

Even if those opening remarks were written by Dick DeBartolo and Garry was reading them off of cue cards, he still had the ability to make everything his own.  Even if it's an easy gig, Garry still made his personality a vital part of his version of "TTTT."

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2004, 04:35:09 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Oct 11 2004, 01:05 PM\']Not only that, but Perry was a competent question-reader and came up with an occasional witty one-liner
[snapback]60418[/snapback]
[/quote]
And nobody's mentioned the math yet. Part of Perry suspense-building at Money Cards was quickly doing the math  on a wager and using it in his build. "This is for six THOUSAND dollars...higher than a six...yes!"

In fact, that reliance on math knocks Dick Clark out of the running, and the whole of Blake Emmons' talent could reside in Dick's eyelid.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2004, 07:36:01 PM »
In fact, that reliance on math knocks Dick Clark out of the running, and the whole of Blake Emmons' talent could reside in Dick's eyelid.
[snapback]60425[/snapback]
[/quote]

How did he handle the math with multiples of 5(as wagers had to be in multiples of 5) in the Final Challenge round on the CHallengers. I suppose there were cue cards telling him what a player's total would be if the question was gotten right or wrong.

tyshaun1

« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2004, 07:48:55 PM »
Please, Zach, I know you're trying to make your posts more interesting, but stealing other people's lines? Come on!

Seriously, you need to remember how to quote. Every time you post with a quote, their post appears as if it's your post.

Tyshaun

zachhoran

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2004, 08:00:36 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Oct 11 2004, 06:48 PM\']Please, Zach, I know you're trying to make your posts more interesting, but stealing other people's lines? Come on!

Seriously, you need to remember how to quote. Every time you post with a quote, their post appears as if it's your post.

Tyshaun
[snapback]60467[/snapback]
[/quote]

Will this look any better than what I've been doing the last ten days since the software updated, or does it not look any much different?

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2004, 08:08:21 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Oct 11 2004, 07:00 PM\'][quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Oct 11 2004, 06:48 PM\']Please, Zach, I know you're trying to make your posts more interesting, but stealing other people's lines? Come on!

Tyshaun
[snapback]60467[/snapback]
[/quote]

Will this look any better than what I've been doing the last ten days since the software updated, or does it not look any much different?
[snapback]60469[/snapback]
[/quote]
By jove, I think he's got it!

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

sshuffield70

« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2004, 08:25:04 PM »
Zach, it's about blanking time you did it right.  THAT'S how it's supposed to look.  Now keep it that way.

Don Howard

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2004, 10:24:16 PM »
Praise The Lord! Oh, yes, Reverend Angely, I've received my miracle!!!!!!!!!!