Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What Is the Easiest Game Show to Emcee?  (Read 12899 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
What Is the Easiest Game Show to Emcee?
« on: October 08, 2004, 09:10:09 AM »
What is the easiest game show to emcee?

Ian Wallis

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 09:14:59 AM »
To me, I'd have to say "Wheel of Fortune".  But I guess part of the job is making it *look* easy when it probably really isn't.  Pat's been doing it so long it looks like it doesn't take much effort - but I'm sure it's probably a lot different standing in his position than we think!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

SamJ93

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 09:27:01 AM »
How about that "100%" show that aired in a few markets in 1999(?).  All the host had to do was read the questions and recap the scores...that seems like a pretty easy job to me!

As for most every other game show, I agree with Ian...it's definitely a lot harder than it looks, and different shows require different talents.  Shows like Wheel, Price, or Match Game, for example, require a host who is a good conversationalist and who knows how to think on their feet in case something unexpected happens, whereas quiz shows like J! require a host who can move the game along quickly...and even then both types of shows require a modicum of the opposite element as well.  So I would say that no game show is particularly easy to host, but the formats of some shows suit some personalities better than others.

--Sam
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 09:37:40 AM »
How about To Tell the Truth? The emcee has very little to do with game play and there is no spontaneity required. All he is is a traffic cop: just rattle off language that has all the cues built in, read a couple of affidavits and collect your paycheck.

zachhoran

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 09:43:38 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Oct 8 2004, 08:37 AM\']
How about To Tell the Truth? The emcee has very little to do with game play and there is no spontaneity required. All he is is a traffic cop: just rattle off language that has all the cues built in, read a couple of affidavits and collect your paycheck.

Dating Game didn't really need the host getting much involved in game play, and Lange really never did. He rarely cut into the bachelor(ette) questioning. The later hosts interacted a bit more with the contestants than Lange did IIRC.

Don Howard

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 10:08:59 AM »
Jackpot. Most of the time, the people in the gallery did all the work while Geoff and Mike simply recapped the jackpot amounts and instructed them on which color wallet to use.
Oh, and to all whom it may concern, please learn proper use of the quote feature.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 10:10:00 AM by Don Howard »

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2004, 10:12:31 AM »
How about Concentration?
contestant: Number 5...
host: Number 5..a toaster
contestant: and number 14..
host: number 14...that's a blender. No match. Herbie?....

lather, rinse, repeat until, "I'd like to solve the puzzle"....
the host simply has to be affable, able to repeat the players' choices, and keep track. But it's so deceptively simple that at least you have to have the ability to -excuse me-concentrate-to stay in focus...so you can't be a total doofus.....but that show, like wheel, comes so close to running itself that it's one step away from having bells, buzzers and a turn light indicator replace the host. You don't even need an MC to play the home game.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 10:16:08 AM by The Ol' Guy »

tyshaun1

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2004, 10:49:00 AM »
I know I might get a fire lit under my ass.......but my choice would be Pyramid.

Host: Describe these things which have a flame. Things which have a flame. Ready. Go!
Contestant: Umm...he said Pyramid was a easy game to host.
Celebrity: Tyshaun Miles' ass.
Ding!

To me, the host on that show seemed to only offer commentary. Dick Clark and Bill Cullen did a terrific job, Donny Osmond and John Davidson- not so much.

Tyshaun

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2004, 10:56:36 AM »
Concentration is deceptively hard to emcee. You have to keep up a constant patter, and a repetitive one at that, for 3 1/2 hours per taping day and make every minute seem fresh. The spotlight is on you always. How many times can you say "the board goes back" or "the _______ goes up on your side of the board" in a day without going batty? On TTTT or DG the emcee could take a nap during questioning.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2004, 11:54:45 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Oct 8 2004, 07:56 AM\']Concentration is deceptively hard to emcee.
[snapback]60011[/snapback]
[/quote]
My first and only "real" emceeing experience was hosting Family Feud at my game night using Particleman's outstanding software. And I'm sure when The Ol' Guy said "the host simply has to be affable, able to repeat the players' choices, and keep track", he meant no offense, but you need to think about that for a second and realize what a hard job that really is.

(Pyramid will be a little easier, although in the setting we'll be playing it in, the host will be hosting, judging, and running the software at the same time, so he'll have somewhat more work to do than Dick/Bill/John/Donny did on TV. But I think it will be doable, especially with a PC and projector built into the podium, like we have at our game room. But, then, if Pyramid is such an easy gig, why was Dick the master and why did John Davidson suck at it?)

The easiest part of doing Feud is Fast Money, because that IS pretty rote, and happens so fast there is no time to fill. But the rest of the game requires a little work on the part of the host to keep from being completely dry and quiet, especially if you have players who are really into the game and not filling time with "Good answer! Good answer!" I was thinking of the "first blood" criticism aimed at Karn, and I will tell you from broadcasting experience, it is EASY to get caught up in crutches like that when your mind is racing to fill dead air.

But, man, we played five games, and I was genuinely tired at the end of it. Jazzed, especially since everyone seemed to enjoy the game and my performance, but dead tired. It's _not_ an easy job.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2004, 11:57:15 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Oct 8 2004, 09:10 AM\']What is the easiest game show to emcee?[/quote]
QuizBusters.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Neumms

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2004, 12:15:07 PM »
I agree with "Dating Game." Without a doubt.

"Go" wasn't really that hard, not that K.O. wasn't good.

"TTTT" would be easy, too, but when Gordon Elliott did it, he really added a lot to the show. Bud Collyer, to my mind, did make it seem like anybody could do it.

On "Pyramid" the host is responsible for setting the right dramatic tone. Maybe they never told Davidson that. And the good hosts play along after an unsuccessful winners' circle.

Don Howard

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2004, 12:15:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Oct 8 2004, 10:57 AM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Oct 8 2004, 09:10 AM\']What is the easiest game show to emcee?[/quote]
QuizBusters.
[snapback]60022[/snapback]
[/quote]
No kidding. That guy looks like he's just phoning it in. OK, hand me the keys. I'll let myself in the Isolation Booth.

tommycharles

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2004, 12:22:24 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 8 2004, 10:54 AM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Oct 8 2004, 07:56 AM\']Concentration is deceptively hard to emcee.
[snapback]60011[/snapback]
[/quote](Pyramid will be a little easier, although in the setting we'll be playing it in, the host will be hosting, judging, and running the software at the same time, so he'll have somewhat more work to do than Dick/Bill/John/Donny did on TV. But I think it will be doable, especially with a PC and projector built into the podium, like we have at our game room. But, then, if Pyramid is such an easy gig, why was Dick the master and why did John Davidson suck at it?)
[snapback]60019[/snapback]
[/quote]

The only thing that strikes me as being difficult for emceeing Pyramid would be the dramatic mood shift from the front game to the WC. Dick was indeed the master of making it seem like they're all just having a great time until the final 7in30 that decides the game and then from then on until after the WC it's the end of the world as you know it if you screw up. That's what made Clark's performance great, imo. Donny, on the other hand, didn't juggle the two well at all.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2004, 01:23:48 PM »
I agree with the Concentration comments, and I did allude to the focus factor. Like Chris L noted, I should have made a distinction between "amount of effort" and "quality of effort." Because the game runs itself so well, you have to be able to smooth the flow of play and add a touch of drama that just the board revealing itself doesn't. My favorite host was Narz - Art James seemed a bit too laid back, even for him. I'm curious - someone around here should know. In the long network run of the show - did any particular host cause a sag in ratings that led to a replacement? It seemed as though those who came and went were people on hand as one host would move on to a new project and someone else would be brought in to replace them.