Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Balderdash and On The Cover Downgraded  (Read 6325 times)

uncamark

Balderdash and On The Cover Downgraded
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2004, 04:05:04 PM »
[quote name=\'bwood\' date=\'Oct 2 2004, 03:41 PM\']Also, look at the 11:30PM weeknight slot, Beat The Clock is scheduled for that time. It wasn't the best show, but it's a nice little treat.
[snapback]59354[/snapback]
[/quote]

Knocked out in some markets by the repeat of the local NBC affiliate's late news (as in Chicago), as are the shows in the 7 p.m. or 7:30 p.m. ET slots in some markets knocked out for repeats of the early local news.

BrandonFG

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2004, 04:11:37 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Oct 4 2004, 03:05 PM\'][quote name=\'bwood\' date=\'Oct 2 2004, 03:41 PM\']Also, look at the 11:30PM weeknight slot, Beat The Clock is scheduled for that time. It wasn't the best show, but it's a nice little treat.
[snapback]59354[/snapback]
[/quote]

Knocked out in some markets by the repeat of the local NBC affiliate's late news (as in Chicago), as are the shows in the 7 p.m. or 7:30 p.m. ET slots in some markets knocked out for repeats of the early local news.
[snapback]59503[/snapback]
[/quote]

And in the case of Norfolk (news repeated at 7 and 11:30 pm), Pyramid airs at 6 pm.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

ChuckNet

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2004, 09:36:35 PM »
I have a feeling they'll be on PAX for a while. Look at their recent history with their original shows--Supermarket Sweep reran for a year or two before the plug was pulled within the past year, and apparently Beat the Clock is getting the rerun treatment at 11:30 PM. (Since our PAX affiliate shows infomercials and religious programming after 11:30 PM, I can't confirm this.)

When I was vacationing in Myrtle Beach this summer, since the city has no local PAX affiliate, our condo's cable system used the national feed, and they did indeed have an hr BtC block from 11-midnight...however, when I returned home a wk later and checked out the PAX national feed on DirecTV, they were running infomercials in said slot...odd.

Chuck Donegan (The Puzzled "Chuckie Baby")

brianhenke

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2004, 09:47:30 PM »
Also look at the 11:30PM weeknight slot, Beat the Clock is scheduled there

My cable system says On The Cover is on at 11:30 p.m.

Brian

Little Bo Peep lost her virginity?
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

brianhenke

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2004, 12:54:01 AM »

I looked at Pax at 11:30, and BTC was on.

Brian

Tom Brokaw anchored the CBS Evening News?
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

bwood

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2004, 10:39:21 AM »
[quote name=\'brianhenke\' date=\'Oct 4 2004, 11:54 PM\']

I looked at Pax at 11:30, and BTC was on.

[snapback]59588[/snapback]
[/quote]

I have DirecTV and checked out the national feed at 11:30 last night to see if BtC was on and it wasn't. All that was on was an infomercial, though the PAX site lists BtC for the national feed.
My local PAX station aired something else.

About the article at TVGameshows.net regarding the PAX game block. That was completely wrong. I watched the national feed and what was listed was what was on. No OtC at 5:30 or Balderdash at 6. The Pyramids did air at 6 & 7. There was no WL at 5. There were infomercials at 5 & 5:30 (PAX listed OtC and Balderdash, they didn't air on my national feed), Pyramid at 6, StyD at 6:30, Pyramid at 7, FF at 7:30. He must have based his info on his local PAX station, because the national feed aired nothing like that.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2004, 10:50:31 AM by bwood »

sshuffield70

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2004, 02:11:57 PM »
In my case, "Balderdash" was aired locally at 4, and "On The Cover" at 430.  They were aired by the local station.  And guess how I know that? :) :)  At 458, OTC was inexplicably switched off and the national feed turned on (for whatever was supposed to be airing at 6 ET).

joe_capitano

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2004, 05:32:14 PM »
[quote name=\'bwood\' date=\'Oct 5 2004, 06:39 AM\']I have DirecTV and checked out the national feed at 11:30 last night to see if BtC was on and it wasn't. ...
...There were infomercials at 5 & 5:30 (PAX listed OtC and Balderdash, they didn't air on my national feed) ...[/quote]
Well, that confirms what I'm getting - or not getting - on dish. Evidently PAX sends down a separate stream to the DBS Nets, loaded to the gills with infomercial tripe to cover what should be there, and that includes Bonanza at 4 ET. However, dish's On-screen guide correctly lists only Paid-Time Programming during that two-hour slot.

No wonder PAX is going down the toilet. They can't even clear the same lineup everywhere - although the overnight programming might get dish into more hot water with those Dominion folks in Florida.

TimK2003

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2004, 06:39:23 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Oct 4 2004, 08:36 PM\']When I was vacationing in Myrtle Beach this summer, since the city has no local PAX affiliate, our condo's cable system used the national feed, and they did indeed have an hr BtC block from 11-midnight...however, when I returned home a wk later and checked out the PAX national feed on DirecTV, they were running infomercials in said slot...odd.

Chuck Donegan (The Puzzled "Chuckie Baby")
[snapback]59563[/snapback]
[/quote]

Here in Cleveland, the local PAX affiliate was airing the "special week" of OTC at 5:30ET, I flipped to the national feed on DirecTV, as my local affiliate's audio always sounds over-modulated, and lo & behold -- INFOMERCIAL!!!

Usually, it's the other way around, when the local station will alter the programming for something that they think is better for that time slot, like earlier this year when the TPIR Primetime eps were airing.

WOIO/CBS-19 in Cleveland aired a movie in lieu of TPiR-Primetime, running a crawl which said TPIR would air sometime after 1 or 2 in the morning.

If that's the way our local affiliate feels about CBS programming, then I wish to hell they would air anything but Dan Rather during the time the CBS Evening News was scheduled to air -- Put HIM overnight -- Might prove to be a great way to put insomniacs to sleep! :-)

Tim
« Last Edit: October 05, 2004, 06:46:40 PM by TimK2003 »

uncamark

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2004, 02:56:58 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Oct 5 2004, 05:39 PM\']Here in Cleveland, the local PAX affiliate was airing the "special week" of OTC at 5:30ET, I flipped to the national feed on DirecTV, as my local affiliate's audio always sounds over-modulated, and lo & behold -- INFOMERCIAL!!!

Usually, it's the other way around, when the local station will alter the programming for something that they think is better for that time slot, like earlier this year when the TPIR Primetime eps were airing.

WOIO/CBS-19 in Cleveland aired a movie in lieu of TPiR-Primetime, running a crawl which said TPIR would air sometime after 1 or 2 in the morning.

If that's the way our local affiliate feels about CBS programming, then I wish to hell they would air anything but Dan Rather during the time the CBS Evening News was scheduled to air -- Put HIM overnight -- Might prove to be a great way to put insomniacs to sleep! :-)
[snapback]59653[/snapback]
[/quote]

What you got was what could be called Make Good Theater--the station has a bunch of make good advertising they can't reschedule in normal station breaks (and a title in one of their syndicated movie packages that has to air within a certain period).  You pre-empt the network on a slow ratings night (like, say, Saturday night, if this was most of the prime time "TPIR"s), play the movie and take care of all of your make goods for a certain period.  Everyone's happy and you may even get a higher rating than what the network programming would pull.  The network's not happy about it, but they know it happens and if it's on a night like Saturday or a weak ratings night, they don't try to stop it.

(I'm staying out of Dan Rather--we don't need to get politics involved here...)

adamjk

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2004, 08:02:59 PM »
Just to update, this week Balderdash and On the Cover are still relegated to 5 and 5:30 respectively. Maybe this change is permanent after all.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2004, 08:15:23 PM »
You say "relegated" like it's a bad thing.  Looking at this from the network POV, they probably want to put shows in the 8:00 hour that they've invested the most into; that means their hour-long originals, and not two game shows they can use to patch up any schedule holes.

I, for one, like the change, and bet it'll bring an upturn for their ratings, at least in general.
Travis L. Eberle

bandit_bobby

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2004, 08:49:05 PM »
I think these shows are doomed. Probably since day one.

adamjk

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2004, 08:51:45 PM »
I certainly hope what you say is wrong Bandit, but if these shows stay in this slot for a while, which is how it looks now, they very well may be. That would be a shame too, since both these shows are highly underrated in my opinion, and deserve runs longer then they will likely get.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2004, 09:40:18 PM »
If you think they're doomed, then don't watch, please.  At least that'll leave someone else for the recaps to be done right.

Adam, it's quite clear you didn't even read my post.  Just because it stayed in a time slot doesn't mean it's going off the air tomorrow.  It could stay there for years, because more of the target audience will watch it there.  Or Bud Paxson shook his magic 8-ball and it said to put it there.  Who knows?  It was just a move; don't read too much into it.
Travis L. Eberle